[BOOK SPOILERS] Did tonight's episode Reveal that Tywin...

I think the point was that he didnt actually care about the meetings, he was just making a show of it. When tywin reminded him he was welcome to attend, joffrey changed the subject.

And why do we assume tywin was wrong? Dany is a world away and at last report her dragons were tiny. He has more pressing issues to deal with, and what can he really hope to do anyway?

I think the scene is just trying to establish some acrimony between joffrey and tywin leading up to joff's little outburst about traitors and aerys, and had nothing to do with joffrey getting smarter or tywin being wrong. Non readers, of course, wouldnt be able to see that before that scene takes place, but as readers we know better.

I didn't interpret the scene that way. Tywin made a veiled threat to Joffrey by offering to have him carried up the stairs. Theoretically that could mean Joffrey would be safely carried by servants as a spoiled king. But Tywin's approach and body language suggested that Tywin could also have Joffrey bound and dragged wherever Tywin wants him to go.

Joffrey didnt pursue that subject any further because Tywin made Joffrey uncomfortable discussing it any further. Just as Tywin wished. He shows adequate respect for Joffrey as king, and doesnt overtly challenge Joffrey or offend him. But Tywin communicates quite well that he has plenty of clout and is not afraid to use it, or afraid of Joffrey's retributions.

That scene is a great example of how the Lannister should rule. Be respectful, be ambitious, be subtle, but carry a big stick and use it if necessary. All of Tywin's scenes have been like this. Tyrion and Cersei never get this, to their own detriment. Tyrion openly insults and humiliates his opponents, and even his friends. It's funny, but it's no way to rule. Cersei is actually much better at dealing with people and building political bridges, although she is still too strong-armed, suspicious, and short-sighted to rule properly.

If we consider all the 'inside jokes' the writers have included (Edric/Meereneese knot/We all know what happens to things that don't bend), we can't entirely disregard the foreshadowing on Tywin's part. Especially with the next episode's promo...

Charles Dance saying 'You wanted to speak to me..." sounded a lot like his vampire lord role in Underworld. That actor is awesome wherever he goes!

knew about/planned the PW?

When Joffrey and Tywin are having their awkward, hostile conversation, Tywin says: "We could arrange to have you carried."

Can this be read as a sort of threat? As in, we can arrange to have you carried...because it'll be pallbearers that are carrying you?

If this is true, does that confirm that Tywin knew/was in on the Purple Wedding?

Not sure how you arrived to that conclusion.

I thought it was just another dressing down of a family member by Tywin Lannister, asserting his authority once again. Even a king cows to the mighty Tywin. I'm hoping we get at least one more scene of him advising Joffrey in a similar manner only more forceful.

No.

Tywin doesn't need to threaten people, he just does things.

With Joffrey he made it clear that Tywin thinks joffrey is a bitchy little wimp 'we could have you carried' was all that line implied.

Should Tywin be afraid of Joffry? Bottom line: Joffrey is the king. What would happen if Joffrey decided to have Tywin thrown in the dungeon, or worse?

Should Tywin be afraid of Joffry? Bottom line: Joffrey is the king. What would happen if Joffrey decided to have Tywin thrown in the dungeon, or worse?

Lol, then Joffrey would lose the might of casterly rock. his only defence would be the city watch or the kings guard, both of which are on lannister payroll. tywin would be out within a few hours and joffrey would be confined to his chambers under orders from the queen regent and the hand not to be obeyed.

joffrey has no power. it's the illusion of being king.

Archived