Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Ravenhair pushed me to start this because it seems some people were looking for the music for the show and I found it while looking at the other theme song; since Vikings had to be fancy and have two!

Creepy song at the beginning credits: Fever Ray- If I Had a Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnknFhp4Is

The advertisement song that says "sail": AWOLNATION- Sail

As for my own opinions on the show I thoroughly enjoyed it up until the last episode or two. Not that I didn't enjoy the last episode but as a season finale for a brand new series that only ran what seven or eight episodes? I thought it'd be a bit more finalish?

Over all if you don't nitpick the historical inaccuracies that many complain about I think it a very good show for History channels first foray; as a review I read on it put it nicely; It is kind of a condensed GoT. Maybe not as deep or twisting or surprising but still similar; Though I suppose you could compare alot of ancient shows to GoT or vice versa now a days.

The other thread got locked for post count so let's keep it going even though I think I contributed nothing to the last; but I am going to read the other and hopefully can join the convo!

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the show. Its good. But I get annoyed by the things they mess up. Im from Sweden and "uppsala" looks nothing like Uppsala does, geography wise. Same for Kattegatt.

But the thing that annoys me the most is "We are going to the Thing". This a mistranslation.

In old swedish the word for a clanmeating/court was Ting. In new swedish Ting means Thing. So they basicly took an old word and looked at what it translates into today.

I missed the second half of the season when my phone stopped working for a while. I should pick it up again and see the rest of it. Would be fun to see how they show old uppsala since I walk our dog there often.

But the thing that annoys me the most is "We are going to the Thing". This a mistranslation.

In old swedish the word for a clanmeating/court was Ting. In new swedish Ting means Thing. So they basicly took an old word and looked at what it translates into today.

Agree about the geography, but 'thing' is the correct English term. In Scandinavian languages, 'ting' as an object, and 'ting' as an assembly, have the same origin, or rather the former is derived from the latter.

Agree about the geography, but 'thing' is the correct English term. In Scandinavian languages, 'ting' as an object, and 'ting' as an assembly, have the same origin, or rather the former is derived from the latter.

Might well be but its still wrong. Ting as an object means thing. But just because that derives from Ting as an assembly doesnt mean that Ting(Assembly) also translates inte Thing. They should have translated it into court or meeting but they wanted to be "exotic".

Eh, you're aware that the modern English language is based on Old English which also used þing (used as early as 685)? When English textbooks refer to the historical Scandinavian assemblies, they use the term 'thing'.

Alas, it' not up to you to dictate the English language.

I missed the second half of the season when my phone stopped working for a while. I should pick it up again and see the rest of it. Would be fun to see how they show old uppsala since I walk our dog there often.

Here is the pic of the temple at Upsala from the show. I hear it is horribly inaccurate but it looks pretty cool.

Nobody knows what it looked like. There is some description from Adam of Bremen a Germany monk who most likely never seen it. Funny enough if I walk up the hill from where I live I get a similar angle to that one but it would make no sense travelling in that direction.

Pics! lol

I really love this show and have recommended it to many people. Can't wait until it's back on. When do most shows start again anyway?

It doesn't hurt that the actors are super freaking HOT.

I have a serious crush on all four of the main characters. They are just so pretty.

It's a weird one this show, but overall i love it, the producers have us rooting for these guys who rape, pillage and murder unsuspecting innocents and I don't feel guilty at all for it, is there something wrong with me? I also plan on getting a dog in the coming months and naming him Ragnar (not because I like the character but because its an epic name).

Ravenhair pushed me to start this because it seems some people were looking for the music for the show and I found it while looking at the other theme song; since Vikings had to be fancy and have two!

Creepy song at the beginning credits: Fever Ray- If I Had a Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnknFhp4Is

The advertisement song that says "sail": AWOLNATION- Sail

As for my own opinions on the show I thoroughly enjoyed it up until the last episode or two. Not that I didn't enjoy the last episode but as a season finale for a brand new series that only ran what seven or eight episodes? I thought it'd be a bit more finalish?

Over all if you don't nitpick the historical inaccuracies that many complain about I think it a very good show for History channels first foray; as a review I read on it put it nicely; It is kind of a condensed GoT. Maybe not as deep or twisting or surprising but still similar; Though I suppose you could compare alot of ancient shows to GoT or vice versa now a days.

The other thread got locked for post count so let's keep it going even though I think I contributed nothing to the last; but I am going to read the other and hopefully can join the convo!

Thanks, Sy. You were the one who kept talking about this show to the point where I decided to watch. This recommendation, along with Inigima's of House of Cards, made tv much more enjoyable this spring.

• 1 month later...

A trailer for season 2 has been released at Comic Con.

The battle scene looks pretty amazing, but did they just give away that

Floki dies

in the trailer? What the hell?

Maybe it is just clever editing?

I sure hope so.

Also, we better see some Athelstan in the next trailer. I am not a fan of battle scenes, so give me some other characters too! :P

Archived