Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Snip

This is something that Floki wouldn't understand though he could see it bloom -- be suspicious of it.

As previously observed, Athelstan, like King Ecbert, is more experienced in the larger world, which is what Ragnar is also groping toward being. Floki wants to everyone to stay at home and do it the way they've always done.

Of course Floki isnt going to see himself in Athelstan. Floki could understand that actually, the only thing standing in his way is the Christian god. Its not a personal vendetta against Athelstan, at least not to begin with. The moment Athelstan volunteers to remain behind in Wessex, thats when Floki got upset. He sees Athelstan's actions as a betrayal and thus is contemptuous. He has no real envy for the A-Man.

Floki doesnt wanna stay at home. Oh no. But he does want to keep his gods the way they always been.

Woo -- just saw this in the Independent: somebody really doesn't like vikings -- the historic vikings, not the television show -- in connection with the Viking exhibit the British Museum. He's putting straight the record, that vikings were the worst, most destructive, barbaric hordes ever. The blood eagle comes into play in the piece, just as we expect it's going to do in this week's Vikings episode.

*Drops trou and defecates all over that article*

Seriously...

The moment that guy Godwin'd, and thus nuked his own argument, i clicked out.

Wouldn't that be why Ragnar thinks of permanent settlements in Britain -- because it is a richer land than what they mostly have?

Yeah, that's a big reason they eventually looked to colonize. It is believed by some that the Viking population exceeded the agricultural potential of their homeland.

That business of Ragnar bringing Athelstan to Upsalla as a sacrifice, which didn't happen because he wasn't sufficiently lacking in Christian religion -- plus the drugs -- is something I, at least, don't quite understand yet. Plus I'm dubious as to correctly remembering how it all played out: wasn't Floki part of that? Or at least Floki knew Athelstan was supposed to be a sacrifice and was very enthusiastic about that -- and not happy when Athelstan wasn't a sacrifice.

I don't recall all that so well, particularly as there were so many scenes that were sometimes hallucinations, or exaggerations due to the drugs, as experienced in Athelstan's perceptions.

That business of Ragnar bringing Athelstan to Upsalla as a sacrifice, which didn't happen because he wasn't sufficiently lacking in Christian religion -- plus the drugs -- is something I, at least, don't quite understand yet. Plus I'm dubious as to correctly remembering how it all played out: wasn't Floki part of that? Or at least Floki knew Athelstan was supposed to be a sacrifice and was very enthusiastic about that -- and not happy when Athelstan wasn't a sacrifice.

I don't recall all that so well, particularly as there were so many scenes that were sometimes hallucinations, or exaggerations due to the drugs, as experienced in Athelstan's perceptions.

Didn't the seer proclaim him to be an unworthy sacrifice or something? Something along the lines of he wasn't truly able to understand the sacrifice he's being asked to make, so Lief takes his place.

Woo -- just saw this in the Independent: somebody really doesn't like vikings -- the historic vikings, not the television show -- in connection with the Viking exhibit the British Museum. He's putting straight the record, that vikings were the worst, most destructive, barbaric hordes ever. The blood eagle comes into play in the piece, just as we expect it's going to do in this week's Vikings episode.

I may be getting my history wrong,(or maybe it was the King Arthur movie), but didn't the Saxons pretty much do the same thing to the original native inhabitants?

Archived