Arya and the Hound [BOOK SPOILERS]

This is slightly off topic, but did anyone else think Arya's response to Beric about her god being Death as a bit of a heavy-handed and too obvious a foreshadowing of her FM time?

No, I think it's a bit too sad that she's forsaken the old gods and the new because of what has happened to her, but I do love Beric's blank stare back at her, he knows that he cannot refute her claim because "death" does have some power over him. He's seen death and death takes a piece of him everytime that he comes back...

It does seem to be a black and red issue. Melisandre obviously thinks that she's headed down a path with darkness in it.

:agree: Specially because her kill tally is rather short so far. It would have been different if she had killed the guards to escape Harrenhall... oh, well :frown5:

so she kills the stableboy in the book and show that's one. Then she kills a single guard to escape from Harrenhall in the book but not the show. I really don't see how 2 instead of 1 is that big of a difference.

I think it was weird that Sandor chilled right outside the BwBs cavern for god knows how long, just to catch Arya in the right moment. Seemed a little forced.

Are we sure that they've been sitting in the same cave all along? This cave looked a little bit different I thought maybe it's just camera angles... plus in "Kissed by Fire" Thoros says that tomorrow they're going to set out for Riverrun but then they seem to be just sitting around bow practicing the next day.

I think the Hound's capture was done well enough that people were surprised that he showed up again. The amount of time he was outside the cave waiting for them was nothing compared to how far he follows them in the books. Plus yeah a much longer time he's following them in the books.

What two days have gone by since the Hound's trial by combat for the brotherhood? Or is "tomorrow we set out for Riverrun" just an expression?

This is slightly off topic, but did anyone else think Arya's response to Beric about her god being Death as a bit of a heavy-handed and too obvious a foreshadowing of her FM time?

I disagree - I think it just shows how much Syrio meant to her and that she still remembers his lessons... obviously it's also foreshadowing too.

I disagree - I think it just shows how much Syrio meant to her and that she still remembers his lessons... obviously it's also foreshadowing too.

That doesn't quite make sense to me. Syrio was all about staring down death and saying "not today!", whilst Arya's reply to Beric to me at least implied she has started embracing Death as worthy of worship, that she sees Death just as Mel sees R'hllor.

Can I just say HURRAH Stranger made it in? The Hound's riding a beautiful black horse in the promo. I don't know if they can retain his surly personality but it would be so cool. Stranger and the Hound are my favorite dynamic duo.

And the large battle against Amory lorch's raiding party,where Yoren is killed. I swear I remember her killing a few guys and screaming "Winterfell!".

Nope, Arya doesn't know if she kills anyone or not. Therefore you can't give her credit for killing a few people. Her objective during the fight is to knock people down, but they keep climbing back up. This makes me think she doesn't kill them.

weasel soup.

She kills no one from weasel soup personally, she sits there and let's Rorge, Biter and Jaqen kill the guards. Then the freed prisioners join the Bloody Mummers and kill everyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so once again I should point out,

Book Arya: 2

show Arya: 1

not that big of a difference.

Nope, Arya doesn't know if she kills anyone or not. Therefore you can't give her credit for killing a few people. Her objective during the fight is to knock people down, but they keep climbing back up. This makes me think she doesn't kill them.

She kills no one from weasel soup personally, she sits there and let's Rorge, Biter and Jaqen kill the guards. Then the freed prisioners join the Bloody Mummers and kill everyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so once again I should point out,

Book Arya: 2

show Arya: 1

not that big of a difference.

It war. She was, at least, trying to kill them. And given the medicine available for the injured, I think it's fair to say a few had to die, if not immediately, later on due the wounds infecting and everything.

The difference in kill count between book and show Arya may be small to this point, but the book much more explicitly describes Arya's fascination with, lack of remorse, and almost glee over her kills, particularly the Harrenhal guard.

I think perhaps some people might be missing the point. Watch the "inside the episode" video where the writers talk a bit about Arya's motivations. Thus far in her life since leaving Winterfell, all she's known is death and having those she cares about or loves taken away from her by people who are cruel, greedy or just plain evil. She says her one true god is death because death has been the only thing she can count on and pray for (her lists of names she prays about) and death keeps on coming and coming through every turn of her life.

Sure, book readers know it's also a big huge foreshadowing of her joining the Faceless Men, but television viewers won't know that so they hear her say that's her God and think it's sad that this poor little girl has had to witness so much death and destruction. Beric's steady quiet gaze doesn't give away much other than he's reflecting on that and probably understands what she means.

Edit: Forgot to get back on topic of the subject. I felt the cliffhanger ending of The Hound capturing her was well done... swift and unexpected. Nothing much more needed done on that and it now leaves viewers freshly shocked and ready to find out what terrible thing Arya has gotten herself into next.

Can I just say HURRAH Stranger made it in? The Hound's riding a beautiful black horse in the promo. I don't know if they can retain his surly personality but it would be so cool. Stranger and the Hound are my favorite dynamic duo.

Amen to that. I shouted "Stranger!" and my non book reader husband looked at me like I was crazy. I was like, "What? He's a legend."

As far as the Hound/Arya scene, I didn't mind the scene, it was pretty close to what I imagined. What I didn't like was not seeing him verbally rip the Brotherhood new assholes.

I have high hopes for their adventures and am praying D&D don't screw it up.

I think they had to put it there so that the TV only viewers realize how dark she's getting. I mean they took out the parts last season where she made weasel stew and also where she killed the guard guarding the Harrenhal gates. I know the show hasn't gotten this far but they already killed the tickler so I doubt we're going to see "where's the gold in the villiage." They had to somehow show how everything she has been through so far is really messing her up.

Edit: whoa what the hell, I swear when I wrote this there weren't 5 other replies up there saying they were posted days ago! I must be going crazy...

The difference in kill count between book and show Arya may be small to this point, but the book much more explicitly describes Arya's fascination with, lack of remorse, and almost glee over her kills, particularly the Harrenhal guard.

Go read the books again because none of that stuff you wrote about Arya at this point is true. Well besides her fascination with killing the people she hates.

She doesn't have a lack of remorse about killing the guard or the stable boy. She has remorse and fear of rejection about it. She's afraid that her brother and mother won't want to pay her ransom because of the people she's killed. Going to the Twins she has fear that Roose Bolton knows about the guard that she killed. She doesn't admit her kills to the BwBs because she compares telling Harwin to telling her "father"

I'm sure I could look up more, but I'll stop until I see something about her "lack of remorse or glee"

I think the Tickler scene will be replaced with her killing the gaurd that took Needle. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't gotten her sword back yet.

yeah I think your right.. it will be good that's one scene that ive been really looking forward to between the hound and Arya, but I wonder if they will actually have arya killing the squire or if she will just stand there and look weak while the hound does some massacring

yeah I think your right.. it will be good that's one scene that ive been really looking forward to between the hound and Arya, but I wonder if they will actually have arya killing the squire or if she will just stand there and look weak while the hound does some massacring

I bet she'll go ballistic, in memoriam Lommy Greenhands asking Polliver: "Something wrong with your leg, boy?" or "Can you walk?" or "Carry him he says!" No chance for the Hound to kill Polliver... :thumbsdown:

Edited for spelling

I bet she'll go ballistic, in memoriam Lommy Greenhands asking Polliver: "Something wrong with your leg, boy?" or "Can you walk?" or "Carry him he says!" No chance for the Hound to kill Polliver... :thumbsdown:

Edited for spelling

ooh lets hope so, its one of the best moments, and in the book (for me) it came out of no where, I totally thought she wasn't going to get needle back... then BAM she does... and in a really awesome way too :D

She says her one true god is death because death has been the only thing she can count on and pray for (her lists of names she prays about)....

Exactly -- the fact that this young girl's nighttime ritual is praying for death for an ever-expanding list of people -- and meaning it -- is a pretty good indication that she's fixated on it.

Amen to that. I shouted "Stranger!" and my non book reader husband looked at me like I was crazy. I was like, "What? He's a legend."

As far as the Hound/Arya scene, I didn't mind the scene, it was pretty close to what I imagined. What I didn't like was not seeing him verbally rip the Brotherhood new assholes.

I have high hopes for their adventures and am praying D&D don't screw it up.

Here Here! I'm with you on all of this. It was great seeing Stranger in the previews. And though I love that the Hound has been given more of a chance to let loose this season, they still are taking away some of his best lines like when he rips into the BwB. At least there doesn't seem to be any way they can give those lines to Littlefinger now that he's out of King's Landing like they did the last two seasons.

Archived