(Book Spoilers) Gendry

I really enjoyed Gendry's parentage reveal. It was well acted, and it felt significant. So significant, that I've actually got myself wondering whether they're going to make yet more of Gendry's character. Yes we have him replacing Edric Storm, which for the record I like, but what then? Does he simply go back to the riverlands and play the role in Brienne's quest that he does in the books, or do the writers have something else in mind for him? It just feels to me like they're making him into much more of a character than he was in the books. Thoughts?

I really enjoyed Gendry's parentage reveal. It was well acted, and it felt significant. So significant, that I've actually got myself wondering whether they're going to make yet more of Gendry's character. Yes we have him replacing Edric Storm, which for the record I like, but what then? Does he simply go back to the riverlands and play the role in Brienne's quest that he does in the books, or do the writers have something else in mind for him? It just feels to me like they're making him into much more of a character than he was in the books. Thoughts?

I still think it's going to play out roughly the same as Edric. Stannis (probably without even considering other options, given how much of a chode fanatic they've made him in the show) elects to burn Gendry. Davos smuggles him aboard Salladhor's ship (if it's still there, otherwise just any ship) and takes him to Essos. Then, maybe he pops up in a later season at Braavos.

Does anyone know how many season Joe Dempsie signed on for? Might help us figure out his role.

Davos escapes with him. He tells Gendry "Never reveal your heritage to anyone, it's dangerous." They get seperated somewhere in the north or Gendry goes off in search of Arya.

I dont think Davos would ever run away from Stannis, even on the show. 90% of Davos's character is loving Stannis, as unfortunate as that is.

I dont think Davos would ever run away from Stannis, even on the show. 90% of Davos's character is loving Stannis, as unfortunate as that is.

Yeah, I was thinking it more of a situation where Davos is leaving on his mission and then smuggles Gendry with him.

My question is, why isnt anyone in kings landing curious as to why a Stannis ship is sailing that close to the redkeep

My thoughts exactly. And I can't imagine Mel with her bright red robes standing on deck wouldn't be noticed by somebody.

lol I still loved the scene. We got some of Mel's back story, we got the awesome Robert Baratheon theme from the very first episode of GoT which is one of my favourite bits of music from the show and I also loved the acting and the way the scene looked.

I agree this was one of the best scenes in the episode, very underrated because everyone was focused on the Brienne / bear and Arya, Theon etc scenes.

In the middle of all the turmoil, a quiet moment of (temporary perhaps) reflection and awe surfaced for Gendry. It's one of the things I always wished for in the books, that he would one day learn who he really was and so I'm thrilled George decided to write it into the series. I'm hoping he did that as a definite nod to the book fans that he's got plans for the future of Gendry (and others we love) that won't all end so badly.

I agree this was one of the best scenes in the episode, very underrated because everyone was focused on the Brienne / bear and Arya, Theon etc scenes.

In the middle of all the turmoil, a quiet moment of (temporary perhaps) reflection and awe surfaced for Gendry. It's one of the things I always wished for in the books, that he would one day learn who he really was and so I'm thrilled George decided to write it into the series. I'm hoping he did that as a definite nod to the book fans that he's got plans for the future of Gendry (and others we love) that won't all end so badly.

Me too!!

I always really wanted Mya and Gendry to know who they are.

I hope they still have Mya in the show. :crying:

Yes, I'm thinking there could be a "Legion of Bastard Children" who take up the banner for the next generation of Baratheons, Starks and Targaryens, who knows, even Lannisters hehe.

Edit: And by Lannisters I meant the remaining ones alive though now that I think of it, they're full blooded Lannister even if not bastards they're unacceptable as Lannisters...that's worse than being a bastard. Maybe Tyrion's got a bastard out there somewhere on one of his prostitutes...

I hope they don't take him away from his original story line for too long- I feel like it's important that he run his little BWB "franchise" if you will, at the inn going forward. Unless GRRM's plan was just to leave him there for the rest of the books. In which case, I'm enjoying the actor, so I hope he gets an adventure!

I hope they don't take him away from his original story line for too long- I feel like it's important that he run his little BWB "franchise" if you will, at the inn going forward. Unless GRRM's plan was just to leave him there for the rest of the books. In which case, I'm enjoying the actor, so I hope he gets an adventure!

Yes, this is a point that was discussed in one of the other Gendry threads -- where will that part of his story arc go now that he's no longer with the BWB? Since George himself wrote this episode, we have to believe he did and does have further plans for Gendry that are significant enough he's onboard with the change and putting Gendry with Melisandre still works for whatever plan that was from the books. Perhaps as many suspect, he'll be smuggled out of Dragonstone by Davos much the way Edric was since he's now apparently taking the place of Edric. If Davos smuggles him out then he's got a good chance of making his way back to the same area he was before - but rejoining the BWB seems unlikely since they just sold him off for gold on the show.

Well he is shown in the opening credits with a stag next to his name. Which means for now he's a main minor character... of course main characters die all the time in this show.

Honestly I don't see the reason for him to go back to the Riverlands to join the Brotherhood. They sold him out for gold instead of giving him a forge and knighting him. I don't see a point of him going back to the inn(that doesn't have a proper forge to get bread made in the shape of a stag from Hot Pie)

I honestly don't even see him going back to the Riverlands for Arya( I know blasphemy especially since I saw the video of where Masie Williams "shipped" Arya and Gendry and called Joe Dempsie GoTs sexiest man alive)

Gendry is looking for a place to hang his hammer. It's basic hierarchy of needs. #1 shelter and food, #2 a place to smith and he's satisfied with his situation, he doesn't care about the Game of Thrones or what Lord he serves as long as he's got #1 and #2.

so yes I do believe that Gendry will be a character that does more than just bump into Brienne.

Think about how pointless that run in would be now.... Gendry is not a knight and he knows that king Bob was his dead beat dad. Brienne would have to tell Gendry that Stannis was right about Joffrey(since she can't think it in the show well actually Brienne is pretty good with her facial expressions and stuff but still) and Gendry will point out, so what if Joffrey wasn't Robert's son? Are you going to go to KL and toss him off the Iron Throne?

The only thing that meeting would prove is that Brienne would realize that Joffrey/Myrcella and Tommen are Jaime's kids, which she pretty much all but gets confirmation from Jaime when she leaves KL.

My three hopes for Gendry's now different future are:

1. Davos doesn't have to ship him away, he convinces Stannis to not burn him alive and use him as proof that Joffrey isn't Robert's son to gain support from the North. He then shows Stannis the Wall's plead for help and they sail to the Wall. Gendry smiths for the Watch and their "one armed guy dies against the giant" and we get some very interesting conversations between the bastards of Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon.

1. Gendry knows Yoren is dead, so Jon doesn't have to speculate on it.

2. Gendry knows Arya escaped KL etc. so Jon finds out a little bit about Arya, the real Arya

3. Gendry might even give Jon his "at least your father took care of you, mine never even acknowledged that I was alive and my mother never even admitted who he was, she just claimed that if he was here then he'd beat me bloody."

4. He could also explain how Melisandre looked right at his sister and didn't know who she was when she stole him from the BwBs so Gendry could explain how unpowerful her flame visions really are.

Gendry sails off to Essos and ends up in the Bastard of the Free Cities.... Braavos. Let's face it, a lot of Arya's stuff in Braavos is inner monologue. This could be just a little bit too convenient for people to go with.

Me too!!

I always really wanted Mya and Gendry to know who they are.

I hope they still have Mya in the show. :crying:

Mya Stone does knows that Robert is her father, she just doesn't admit it to people. It's an abandonment issue, really sad when you factor in that it's that bitch Cersei's fault that Robert couldn't bring her to KL like he wanted to.

My question is, why isnt anyone in kings landing curious as to why a Stannis ship is sailing that close to the redkeep

Anybody notice or could see what flag they were flying?

If Salador's ,might not give a damn.

Lots of trading ships in the bay.

Also probably don't care about a red priest.

Mya Stone does knows that Robert is her father, she just doesn't admit it to people. It's an abandonment issue, really sad when you factor in that it's that bitch Cersei's fault that Robert couldn't bring her to KL like he wanted to.

I don't think she actually does know. There's something very sweet and sad about Mya. For example, she was in love with the lord's son Michel Redfort (???) even though she was a bastard, she should have known that that would not end well, and yet she was dreaming.

She might have inklings, but she would have never seen Robert other than when she was a child and he was just this jolly man throwing her up into the air.

Archived