[TV+BOOK Spoiler] Talisa = spy?

Inquisitor Glokta

So is Talisa now a spy or not, what do you think?

First there is this, a collection of things that could point towards her being a spy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

And then yesterday in ep7 she is again writing a letter to her 'mother'. Just to get this right:

-Talisa is right now somewhere in the Riverlands between Riverrun and the Twins.

-Volantis is one of the free cities across the Narrow Sea

So how exactly does this work?

If we have already got some people that understand some Valyrian they could take a go at the letter and try and translate at least some words ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6i6oGTFzUVE/UZBFQbkhKPI/AAAAAAAADG4/mjdGcb5qE2Q/s1600/From+the+Set+-+Talisa%27s+Letter.jpg

First off, i don't understand any Valyrian. But i noticed a few things while looking at the letter

The 1. word is not among the words Dany is called after taking Yunkai, just checked.

the 2. word in the letterhead has 11 letters Oo

I'm not quite sure how she could greet her mother, that one of the words would require 11 letters, it definetly can't be mother.

So yeah, i believe Talisa is infact a spy and the character is somekind of combination of Jeyne and Sybelle with their routes from across the narrowsea displayed more directly.

In her near future i see her either dead at the RW or making an elaborate escape from a besieged Riverrun with the Blackfish.

I never considered this until I watched the last episode, but now i'm almost completely convinced it is so. I'd have no trouble believing Tywin reads high valyrian, while the northerners would probably have alot less trade with the free cities and therefore have less reason to know the language.

The way she was acting while writing the letter Robb can't read as she looked over his war plans instantly made me think she might be a combination of the Sybelle and Jeyne characters from the books.

I'm a staunch defender of the series and prefer the show version of Robb's marriage over the book version (though I admit they could have done it better), but this would make it so I never buy any of the future DVD sets because it is such implausible idea and would be such a hack move.

Well if they were trying to twist the viewers mind, they started right with her name ;)

Talisa Maegyr, no such character exists in the books, but there is http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Malaquo from a noble family in Volantis.

Funny part is, Malaquo Maegyr is one of 3 triarchs and his allegience is to the tigers.

So maybe Talisa is just 'a cat in a different coat' ;)

I had written a long rebuttal of the "Lannister Honeypot" video, but I have deleted it. There are a lot of things the video doesn't take into account, like the fact that the faith of the seven originated around the free cities, and there are things it simply gets wrong, like the claim that all the people from essos have foreign accents. Most of what it says is simply stretching the material to fit their theory and ignoring more logical explanations.

However, since there's evidence that Jeyne's mother was conspiring with the Lannisters, it doesn't seem totally outrageous to simply eliminate her and turn Jeyne from an unwitting dupe to an active betrayer. I never liked the idea of the Talisa character, as it made Robb look like even more of an idiot for marrying her, since she wasn't a Westerosi noblewoman he'd deflowered, but simply a foreign camp follower he had sex with. At least making her a spy gives her some reason to exist.

It would still be the most contrived thing that the show has done, and if she turns out to actually be a spy AND actually be pregnant, thus securing the north for the Lannisters, it will be so much worse. So if she is a spy, I hope she's lying about being pregnant, and if she's pregnant, I hope people are wrong about her being a spy.

I never considered this until I watched the last episode, but now i'm almost completely convinced it is so. I'd have no trouble believing Tywin reads high valyrian, while the northerners would probably have alot less trade with the free cities and therefore have less reason to know the language.

Of course, the letters Tywin is receiving don't seem to be in valyrian, but in the common tongue.

before the season on jan 25thish started HBO tweeted out pictures of season 3 charactors

they "erroneously" tagged oona as jayne westerling, i tweeted back " oh shes a westerling now?" they deleted it and retweeted with Talisa

Well, having her writing the letter in Valyrian would be a convenient visual cue for the audience, in that they could show Tywin reading the letter with Valyrian on it and the audience would immediately know what's up.

If she is a spy she's gone pretty deep undercover though.

I've always wondered with the spy theory, if she's a spy why is Robb still alive, why bother with the Red Wedding at all? Even if the Lannisters didn't provide her with a poison, she has some degree of medical knowledge, and killing people is easier than healing them. A good enough poison would simply look like a sudden illness, and even a basic poison could be given to him when they go to bed, she could then slip out in the middle of the night and the fact that she is the Queen in the North to simply order guards to stand down.

Of course, the letters Tywin is receiving don't seem to be in valyrian, but in the common tongue.

Pretty much this. She's writing in both common tongue and Valyrian? Why would she be switching between the two? At the moment, it seems kind of illogical.

Having said that, I'm still at least semi-supportive of the spy idea, because it would clear up inconsistencies within her character, and all around just open up a ton of cool new show-exclusive possibilities.

Pretty much this. She's writing in both common tongue and Valyrian? Why would she be switching between the two? At the moment, it seems kind of illogical.

Having said that, I'm still at least semi-supportive of the spy idea, because it would clear up inconsistencies within her character, and all around just open up a ton of cool new show-exclusive possibilities.

I have hard time imagining any spy doing their spy work butt naked front of the people they are supposed to spy on. I would imagine they would be more cautious and careful.

Anyway rumor I have heard from the beginning of the season was that Talisa will be at the Red Wedding (confirmed) and she will be killed off (we will know in 3 weeks or so)

I'm a staunch defender of the series and prefer the show version of Robb's marriage over the book version (though I admit they could have done it better), but this would make it so I never buy any of the future DVD sets because it is such implausible idea and would be such a hack move.

Ha ha ha, good one...

Wait, you're serious?

OT, I'm ambivalent about Talisa as spy. I don't mind either way. And I don't really mind if she's pregnant or not, as long as after the RW the situation with respect to whether Robb has a child or not is the same as in the book: Jeyne is pregnant in the book --> Talisa is also pregnant and lives. Jeyne is not pregnant in the books --> Talisa is also not pregnant, or she is pregnant and either miscarries from the grief or she dies with the rest of them. I prefer the Jeyne isn't pregnant in the books options, because that way Talisa's character can be rendered irrelevant and thus depart from the series.

I have hard time imagining any spy doing their spy work butt naked front of the people they are supposed to spy on. I would imagine they would be more cautious and careful.

Anyway rumor I have heard from the beginning of the season was that Talisa will be at the Red Wedding (confirmed) and she will be killed off (we will know in 3 weeks or so)

I would have thought the art of a spy is to appear completely open and comfortable in order to put people off their guard. What better way for a gorgeous woman to put people off their guard than to be naked in front of the people on whom she is spying, provided it is culurally appropriate, which in this case means only Robb, and at a stretch Catelyn.

I've always wondered with the spy theory, if she's a spy why is Robb still alive, why bother with the Red Wedding at all? Even if the Lannisters didn't provide her with a poison, she has some degree of medical knowledge, and killing people is easier than healing them. A good enough poison would simply look like a sudden illness, and even a basic poison could be given to him when they go to bed, she could then slip out in the middle of the night and the fact that she is the Queen in the North to simply order guards to stand down.

Why do that when you can have a large portion of the Banner men in the North killed along with their King. The Red Wedding created an alliance with the Boltons and Freys and brought an end to the Northern rebellion. If Robb had been killed the rebellion would have continued despite Talisa being Queen.

Archived