Talisa's letter (possible spoilers)

One thing that kind of bugged me... Shouldn't Robb know Valyrian? I mean, Arya remembered some when she went to Braavos from her education in Winterfell and she was never like Sansa. Sansa loved books, stories, songs, all that. I guess I'm just assuming Robb would've been taught Valyrian just because Arya knew a little... but Robb was the son of the highest Lord in the North, so I think he should have been.

Not confirmed. They create prop items all the time, with detailed writing, for just momentary shots. They pay a lot of attention to those things on the production side.

There's one key word in that whole thing. Well, two, maybe. But the key word is "westrazon". Which must mean Westeros or Westerosi or something like. Perhaps it's saying "I have wed a Westerosi"? Who knows. But regardless, unless we want to suppose the letter isn't just written in Valyrian but also coded, that this one word sure makes it sound like it has nothing at all to do with the sort of thing a spy might write about.

The other word is the one that heads it, and I think may be related to "mother", as a similar word is used in episode 4 when Daenerys speaks of her "mother tongue".

hmm does google translate work from valyrian to english?

There is IMO another scene in this episode that could be read as ssubtext for Talisa being a spy and its the Margeary/Sansa scene where Margs tells why she can stomach marrying Joffrey. I'm undecided about the idea but everyones being a hypocrite about this as what Talisa as spy is doing would be pretty much exactly what the tyrells are doing.

One thing that kind of bugged me... Shouldn't Robb know Valyrian? I mean, Arya remembered some when she went to Braavos from her education in Winterfell and she was never like Sansa. Sansa loved books, stories, songs, all that. I guess I'm just assuming Robb would've been taught Valyrian just because Arya knew a little... but Robb was the son of the highest Lord in the North, so I think he should have been.

You care too much.

It's not like if maesters in charge of raven network aren't educated men fluent in High Valyrian which would be, in case the spy theory is true, highly riskant for Talisa&Tywin. (Wait, what raven network I am writing about.)

More evidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatGvedHHgQ

Watch this video as Robb tells Talisa his plan to go to the Freys. Starting at the 1:20 mark. Does Talisa look like she's into Robb's plan, or does she look like someone who has wheels turning in her head. I must say I always found her expression in that scene odd but now it might be deliberate.

Unless the letter to mom was one telling her mother that the fertility treatment worked. And next episode we have a miscarriage scene.

Hmm..I kinda like the idea of a miscarriage scene. If only because it prompts a reason for Robb to be thinking of his heir.

You care too much.

It's because I want to learn High Valyrian fluently... the only phrase I got down right now is Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa.

(Of interesting note, Mhysa is the bastardized version of Issa.)

Even if I was a spy writing to my contact in a foreign language, I might well use code-phrases such as 'Dearest Mother' in my messages.

How does the post office work in Westeros/Essos anyway? Does Talisa go up to the nearest Maester and say 'send this to Varys via your fastest raven'??..

If its a letter to her Mother how the hell is that supposed to get to Volantis? When she was working as a healer, she seemed to be attached to the Silent Sisters, so perhaps she could ask one of them to get the message delivered for her.

I think everything is possible at this time.

She might indeed have been a spy from the beginning. The orders would have been to spy on Robbs army.

When he fell in love with her by chance, the orders changed. Would work....

The Letter on the other hand... I too think, that it would be coded if she were a spy. So a translation wouldnt help really.

The letter can go by regular mail, by ship. Jorah was in contact with Varys even in Qarth. I'd say Westeros has a two tier mailing system: ravens for short, fast communications (as in a telegraph), and regular mail carried by riders/couriers for less sensitive, longer and slower communications.

Also, if Talisa is indeed a double agent undermining Robb, we suddenly have a parallelism with Jon, who is a double agent who also fell in love with the enemy and is also undermining them. And we are (supposed to be) attached to the people in the opposite ends of the treason in the two plot-lines.

Unless she's secretly the daughter of Walder Frey, why would Cat kill her? Cat was using the life of Jingle Bell to trade for Robb's life.

Even if that's true, then there was no "slight" and Walder should have no reason to plan the Red Wedding because Robb is part of his House. I'm really hoping Jinglebell will make an appearance. The only good Frey is a dead Frey

Archived