Talisa's letter (possible spoilers)

If that middle man is Pycelle the risk is minimal. Also, there is a TREMENDOUS risk in getting caught if the letter is in the Common Tongue, it seems less ricky overall to write in Valyrian.

Wait, why would Pycelle speak Valyrian?

I think now it's pretty obvious what Talisa's role is in the RW, I doubt she'll die, but I think she will be married to Ramsey, and the pregnant thing was just a lie.

What does marrying a woman with no claim to anything gain Ramsay? If Robb is killed, Tyrion and Sansa's will claim Winterfell since Bran and Rickon are thought to be dead/lost.

More evidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatGvedHHgQ

Watch this video as Robb tells Talisa his plan to go to the Freys. Starting at the 1:20 mark. Does Talisa look like she's into Robb's plan, or does she look like someone who has wheels turning in her head. I must say I always found her exp<b></b>ression in that scene odd but now it might be deliberate.

Yes exactly.

Also the whole 'I don't even know where winterfell is'. It's like she was urging on Robb to look at the map and the look on her face when she sort of points towards Casterly Rock is so creepy.

Maybe it's just from all of the conspiracy theories, but I had a hard time believing that she was writing her mother. Talisa and her letters...

I know. It's so shifty if you look at it a certain way. Another way to look at it is she was looking for a way to lead in to a conversation telling Robb she was preggers.

Not confirmed. They create prop items all the time, with detailed writing, for just momentary shots. They pay a lot of attention to those things on the production side.

There's one key word in that whole thing. Well, two, maybe. But the key word is "westrazon". Which must mean Westeros or Westerosi or something like. Perhaps it's saying "I have wed a Westerosi"? Who knows. But regardless, unless we want to suppose the letter isn't just written in Valyrian but also coded, that this one word sure makes it sound like it has nothing at all to do with the sort of thing a spy might write about.

The other word is the one that heads it, and I think may be related to "mother", as a similar word is used in episode 4 when Daenerys speaks of her "mother tongue".

Valyrio muno engos nuhys issa

Valyrian is my mother tongue

None of which i could find in the letter. If she's writing to her mother she isn't calling her so...

ok You seem to be referring to 'munus', which could be related to 'muno'

But Dany is speaking High Valyrian and i believe someone here mentioned that the letter was written in High Valyrian as well and not some dialect of the free cities.

I find the 11 letter word in the letterhead kind of curious. Since the language is based on latin i would presume that common words should have alot less letter.

I'm also not to sure on how good the postal system from somewhere in the Riverlands to Volantis is working Oo

But it still could just be a letter to her mom ;)

What if she&rsquo;s neither killed by Cat nor a spy/traitor? In the TV adaptation, could it be Talisa instead of Cat who becomes Lady Stoneheart?

First they fuck up cats character while she's alive and then take away her revenge, do you see the BwB following Talisa (althought she does speak valerian n say I worship R'alor too)

What does marrying a woman with no claim to anything gain Ramsay? If Robb is killed, Tyrion and Sansa's will claim Winterfell since Bran and Rickon are thought to be dead/lost.

If Robb dies, Talisa would be Queen Regent, A Bolton marrying the widowed queen will give Ramsay Winterfell since no heir is there at the moment.

If Talisa/Robb doesn't have any children then there is no rightful heir, if they do have children Talisa can still rule as Queen Regent untill Their heir comes of age.

There is alot to win by marrying the Queen Regent.

I think she's working with Tywin on the RW. Actress said that something regarding Talisa and Robb will be very different from the books in S3. I believe she'll play Sybelle Spicer role in some way

I don't trust her. Never have, never will.

NOTHING about Talisa makes sense. She flip flops from being a naive Volantis girl, to knowing Westerosi culture implicitly with no explanation, back to not knowing anything about Westeros, and so on.

All the foreign characters thus far have accents (Shae, Syrio, Jaqen). Talisa speaks English PERFECTLY.

There is a huge disconnect between Talisa: speaking perfect English, yet not knowing anything about Westeros, yet for some reason she's well educated in Westerosi warfare and politics, but she still has no idea where Winterfell is? After being queen of the north for how long? She's surrounded by maps, she never bothered looking at one?

She doesn't know how to ride a horse. Okay. Then as a healer, how did she make it from Volantis all the way into the deep battlefields of Westeros? It's not like she was taken to King's Landing via parlequin. She's out there in the battle fields amputating legs. How does she not know how to ride a horse?

She rarely reveals anything about her family, and when she does it's always some shifty tale. She was reluctant to reveal her last name to Catelyn, but eagerly fed Robb a sob story that would sure have him whip it out. Her mom doesn't know she's married and that she's a queen, but she does seem close to her mom. And yet she's a noblewoman? Ha... wha... how... uh?

If she's not a spy at this point, then I'll be pissed because really, then her character is just a massive plot hole. She and Robb don't even have that much chemistry, so what's the point of her? Turn her into a villain and I may actually like her.

NOTHING about Talisa makes sense. She flip flops from being a naive Volantis girl, to knowing Westerosi culture implicitly with no explanation, back to not knowing anything about Westeros, and so on.

This is because the writers are doing a bad job of writing her.

All the foreign characters thus far have accents

Untrue. Ilyrio had none,

... but she still has no idea where Winterfell is? After being queen of the north for how long? She's surrounded by maps, she never bothered looking at one?

Bad writing.

Then as a healer, how did she make it from Volantis all the way into the deep battlefields of Westeros?

Presumably she is much more gifted with languages than she is with riding. She may well have ridden horses, just done so badly, and remains inexpert. Also, when we meet her, we see her riding in the back of a cart. So... there's more modes of transporation than horses and palanquins. There's also her own two feet, I suppose.

She rarely reveals anything about her family

Not really true, is it? She has parents who are nobles, she has a brother, they owned slaves, they're of the Maegyr family... how much more do we have about other secondary characters who aren't central to the narrative? What's Locke's family life like, I wonder? He's shown up as much as Talisa has. The problem is really that her family doesn't really matter, so they do not get focused on. This is sensible.

If she's not a spy at this point, then I'll be pissed because really, then her character is just a massive plot hole

I highly recommend buying some adult underwear.

If Robb dies, Talisa would be Queen Regent, A Bolton marrying the widowed queen will give Ramsay Winterfell since no heir is there at the moment.

If Talisa/Robb doesn't have any children then there is no rightful heir, if they do have children Talisa can still rule as Queen Regent untill Their heir comes of age.

There is alot to win by marrying the Queen Regent.

Sansa. She is the heir now that Bran and Rickon are thought to be dead, Arya doesn't matter in this case because she'd be behind Sansa, but if Arya was known to be alive, she'd inherit should Sansa die childless.

The only way Talisa would become Queen Regent is if she were to give birth before Robb dies.

Using Talisa as fake Arya would just complicate things. It would make much more sense to introduce a new fake Arya character and make her identity and connection to Theon a mystery that could be gradually revealed. Something similar to the Ramsay-Theon thing they are doing this season.

Considering that we are going to get to fake Arya only in season 5 (or perhaps in the end of season 4) they could very well cast an adult actress for her role. Maisie has turned 16 this year, and Jeyne is older than Arya in the books anyway, so they could actually cast an actress who can do some of the stuff Jeyne has to do in the book.

On Illyrio's mother tongue:

Well, since he and Varys seem to confer in the Common Tongue rather than in Pentoshi when they are (presumably) alone in the dungeons of the Red Keep, one could assume that his and Varys' native tongue is the Common Tongue.

On Talisa status after the Red Wedding (if she survives):

She would not be Queen Regent of the North. You can only become Regent if there is anyone in whose name you can rule, and her child - if she is indeed pregnant - won't be born at this particular time. If she is indeed pregnant, she is not going to survive the Red Wedding since the Lannisters, the Boltons, and the Freys have no interest that a child of Robb Stark's body survives his demise! But Robb's bannermen most certainly would not consider her being able to rule the North in the name of Robb's heirs (either her own child, or in the name of Sansa) since she is neither well-liked among them nor has any connection whatsoever to the Northern customs and its people. She would be nothing more than Robb Stark's foreign wife, with no political value whatsoever.

Why is everyone presuming that if Talisa was indeed Tywin's spy she would be party to his plans? I mean she could just be supplying information to him and he could be feeding her bulshit. Some thing along the lines of during the RW, Roose stabs Robb, Talisa screams: "But this is not what the Lannisters promised, Tywin said he would just keep Robb hostage until his bannermen would agree to disband and then he would let us go, after I persuaded Robb to bend his knee. Go back to Winterfell and live happily ever after, without Robb knowing I betrayed him by spying for Tywin."

If she was a spy, this would seem like the most logical solution, a spy, but not an assassin and the one that thinks it can all still end well for her, Robb and the baby. Everyone seems to focus on her being somehow key to Tywin's plans, why would she be. He'd just have hired her to do her job and be on the "need to know basis" with her.

She could still be a victim here, even if a spy. Not much of an innocent victim, but victim nonetheless. Then she could just be married off to Ramsey, since it fits nicely with him finally being revealed through Roose declaring that his bastard took Winterfell.

Archived