Talisa's letter (possible spoilers)

I'd like to point out it also says it might disprove Jon being Robb's heir named in the will. I think we really just have to wait and see what happens the rest of this season.

Yes, it does.

Then again, we don't know if Robb's will is important later in the books. Also, even if it is important and not included in the show, the showrunners still can somehow retcon the whole thing.

Yes, it does.

Then again, we don't know if Robb's will is important later in the books. Also, even if it is important and not included in the show, the showrunners still can somehow retcon the whole thing.

True. They could always have Stannis decide to legitimize him so he could be Lord of Winterfell. Or something to that affect. Didn't he basically want to do something like that in the books where he would leave the Nights Watch?

True. They could always have Stannis decide to legitimize him so he could be Lord of Winterfell. Or something to that affect. Didn't he basically want to do something like that in the books where he would leave the Nights Watch?

Stannis already tried that and Jon declined. Primarily because he's sworn oaths to the NW, Stannis has no right to offer him Winterfell (as opposed to Robb), and Mel wanted him to burn down the Godswood in Winterfell. But now Jon has basically faced attempted murder by his "brothers" of the watch, which seems to be completely doomed as we know it, so really anything can happen. The significance of the will seems pretty likely to come into play since the Northern Lords appear likely to rally behind Jon instead of Stannis.

But knowing this show and they way they sort of get around ignoring plot points for the sake of streamlining, if that does happen, they'll just make up something about how the Northern lords will rally behind Jon regardless of the will because he's more Stark than anyone else bla bla bla.

Stannis already tried that and Jon declined. Primarily because he's sworn oaths to the NW, Stannis has no right to offer him Winterfell (as opposed to Robb), and Mel wanted him to burn down the Godswood in Winterfell. But now Jon has basically faced attempted murder by his "brothers" of the watch, which seems to be completely doomed as we know it, so really anything can happen. The significance of the will seems pretty likely to come into play since the Northern Lords appear likely to rally behind Jon instead of Stannis.

But knowing this show and they way they sort of get around ignoring plot points for the sake of streamlining, if that does happen, they'll just make up something about how the Northern lords will rally behind Jon regardless of the will because he's more Stark than anyone else bla bla bla.

Oh no I know that. I just meant show wise they could flip it and do that. But then again the Boltons know Bran and Rickon are alive in the show.. So who knows what they'll do. I was just saying if they didn't do the will maybe they could have changed what Stannis offered or whatever. Ah well who knows..

Oh no I know that. I just meant show wise they could flip it and do that. But then again the Boltons know Bran and Rickon are alive in the show.. So who knows what they'll do. I was just saying if they didn't do the will maybe they could have changed what Stannis offered or whatever. Ah well who knows..

Well the Boltons know in the books since Ramsay was posing as Reek when he convinced Theon to kill the other two boys when the Starks escaped. I think either way if Jon's attempted murder frees him of his duty to the NW and the North rallies around him, the showrunners won't let the will get in the way of it all. Having him accept Stannis' over would be absolutely terrible in my opinion.

Well the Boltons know in the books since Ramsay was posing as Reek when he convinced Theon to kill the other two boys when the Starks escaped. I think either way if Jon's attempted murder frees him of his duty to the NW and the North rallies around him, the showrunners won't let the will get in the way of it all. Having him accept Stannis' over would be absolutely terrible in my opinion.

Ooh sorry I guess I forgot about that part lol. Was it mentioned in the fifth book or the second?

Well I think it depends on who's named in the will. But I think it was Jon so it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. And I agree he shouldn't accept Stannis offer. All I'm saying is if they don't do anything of Robb making a will they could somehow reconcile that by using Stannis. That's all I meant.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, forget the letters. TV shows need people do stuff when on screen. You can't have Robb approach Talisa while she's just standing around, staring at the wall. She needs to be doing something. So that's why we get so much sexposition, why Tywin was skinning a deer when introduced, why Tywin is writing letters all the time etc. In shows like Star Trek people do stuff with computers, in Breaking Bad and Sopranos they're cooking, eating, unpacking groceries etc. You can't have Talisa taking care of the sick all the bloody time. You can't have her cleaning her sword like Ned did in S01E01 in the weirwood. You can't have her drinking like Tyrion & Robert Baratheon. etc. OF COURSE she's writing letters. What else should she do.

Guys, forget the letters. TV shows need people do stuff when on screen. You can't have Robb approach Talisa while she's just standing around, staring at the wall. She needs to be doing something. So that's why we get so much sexposition, why Tywin was skinning a deer when introduced, why Tywin is writing letters all the time etc. In shows like Star Trek people do stuff with computers, in Breaking Bad and Sopranos they're cooking, eating, unpacking groceries etc. You can't have Talisa taking care of the sick all the bloody time. You can't have her cleaning her sword like Ned did in S01E01 in the weirwood. You can't have her drinking like Tyrion & Robert Baratheon. etc. OF COURSE she's writing letters. What else should she do.

What's the point?

The guy who created the language said he will reveal what the letter said after the show. I am curious what it said, even if it was just nonsense/ small talk.

David did post the translation:

And here is the original English, written by Cat Taylor:

Dearest mother,

So much news I have to give you from over the seas. I find myself held by the arms of a husband I never expected to have. They say he is a king and of my heart that is true. He holds us safe, for now I am two, with his child beneath the heart that beats for him. The war rages on, but soon, when it is all over, we shall come to you and celebrate together.

Archived