[book spoilers] PhD research thread: Mental images of THAT upcoming scene

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene? What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

I had been semi-spoiled by the wiki that Melisandre's prophecy with the leeches was going to come true, so it didn't come out of nowhere. However, Cat's death was still a surprise. I was still pretty enthralled by the whole business. My most vivid mental image is Robb Stark, wounded with 2 arrows, getting stabbed from behind by Roose Bolton, right through the chest.

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

If it was from Robb's POV, it would have played out a bit like Jon's 'death' in ADWD.

How do you imagine the scene will play out on screen?

I think Robb won't take such grievous wounds from the crossbows - if any at all. He and Cat will be the last two standing, and it will look like Roose Bolton is coming to help him, until Roose either A. stabs him or B. (what I think would be more effective) decapitates him on the spot.

How much (if at all) are you looking forward to the scene? Can you say why?

I am looking forward to it with a lot of anticipation, and want to see how the Unsullied react. I also am excited to see how they foreshadow and then portray the carnage onscreen. The Red Wedding never got me down too much, since Jon and Dany and Bran are the really important Starks, not Robb or Cat. So I'm just excited.

Well I've read the book long time ago, but I clearly remember that I had to stop more than once and wait for a while before I could keep reading, since it was the most shocking part of the books, despite the fact that I had the feeling that something bad was coming. However I didn't see the whole horror that really happened coming. Cat's pov was specially hard to read and the image her screaming and clawing at her face was really hard because was so vivid in my mind while I was reading it. The way that they treated the corpses was really upsetting and of course Rob's corpse with the grey wind's head was another scene that was so vivid that I still picture it on my mind.

As for the scene and the whole episode tonight I can say that despite the fact that I'm looking forward to see how they will show it and also the reaction of my non reader friends, I'm also kind of worried because of how violent the scene is on the screen, I mean probably very hard to digest even knowing what is coming. I don't have a special picture on my head on how they will do it, but if they follow the book, it will be very gruesome and violent, specially if they do with the bodies what they did in the book and also if Cat's scene is well done with her totally losing her mind.

For some reason, I always pictured the RW being held outdoors because of Arya's perspective when she and the Hound show up. I think that will have more impact on people then Cat and Robb and co. She spent all this time and effort to get back to her family after her father's beheaded only to get there after everything has happened. As interested as I am seeing how Cat pulls it off, Arya should have an even more tragic feeling.

This is how i see it played out cinematically:

Cat will be uneasy the whole time with the Freys. Blackfish will reinforce those feelings but some reason, he won't be at the RW. We all know what Rains of Castamere sounds like at this point. That will be the backing music while this whole farce takes off. Cat tries to leave but is held up, she notices the chainmail and then bam. She turns around and the Freys have Talisa at knife point, Robb is held down as they take her away. Robb screams, screaming for Grey Wind as well. The Freys drag in Grey Winds corspe filled with arrows. Cat sees this and grabs one of Walder's wives at knife point. Cat begs for mercy, Walder mocks Cat and his own wife. Then cut to a closeup to a pair of boots walking in the place with a soft spoken, "The Lannisters send their regard." Then we see Roose do his thing to Robb. Cat out of anger slits the throat of the wife and then one of Walders sons does Cat while she sobs over Robb.

I doubt we will see Robb's corpse afterwards. I like the idea that news about the RW spreads and people will have different recounts of the actual events. Some will say Robb turned into his wolf and tried to murder everyone, others will correct them saying they merely sewed the boy's wolf's head to his body.

Not sure about Talisa and the Blackfish. I can easily see the Blackfish go down in a blaze of glory as well. Taking out a bunch of Freys along the way. Talisa is the wild card for book readers. Something to keep us on our toes because we all know how the RW plays out. Talisa is the person we don't know what will happen to and to keep us watching and talking. I would personally like to see her go the way of Cat but I think Talisa is a wuss. Roose could end up telling her to attend to all the corpses afterwards, that would be so cruel.

I am glad that I had this in writing somewhere. I have to admit, I had a few things pretty spot on about this scene.

I was disappointed in how Bolton slipped in and prison shanked the King of the North. It seemed so un Roose-like to do something like that.

I knew they wouldn't villanize Jaime so padding Roose's line by saying 'the Lannisters send there regard' demonizes Tywin a but more. Viewers were made to sympathize for him more, I was okay with the change, makes sense. They are setting him up for more for Season 4.

Jingle Bells/Frey wife, I knew they would sub her instead of Jingle to be PC and all. Thanks HBO! You wont murder a mildly retarded Frey but you will stab a prego lady Queen, lol. The way they introduced the Frey wife in Season 1 made it easy to tell she was a goner.

I was wrong about the Blackfish and Talisa, my god. Even this was surprising, even for HBO. Killing babies, now unborns, ew. It really did add to the shock value, made for good tv.

Oh and wildlings are really stupid not to scout an abandoned tower in the pouring rain.

The most vivid mental image without a doubt is Robb with Grey Winds head, sitting on a throne with a crown. It pretty much symbolises Robb's demise and the Red Wedding to me and I'm dreading but...morbidly anticipating how they portray how the bodies were treated. I think that was the biggest shock and horror for me- how the bodies were treated.

I'm looking forward to finding out if Talisa is a spy and the non-book readers reactions to the RW.

Sorry but I can't see them doing that without it looking stupid.

Sorry but I can't see them doing that without it looking stupid.

Do you think the artwork out there depicting it (like http://i.imgur.com/w25i8.jpg) looks "stupid"? Honest question.

Television & film is all about the visuals. "Don't tell, show". I can't see them NOT including this. It is powerful, gut-wrenching, and symbolizes things perfectly. It has the potential to be one of the most iconic images of the entire show, IMHO.

Hi all,

Now that the Red Wedding has passed on the show, let's move on to reflect on how the scene looked compared to how you imagined it.

I will shortly be starting a new thread for discussions about that.

Thanks all,

Inevittable

ETA: You can find the new thread here:

Archived