[book spoilers] PhD research thread: Mental images of THAT upcoming scene

Hello all,

I am currently studying towards a PhD in Media, Culture and Communication at Keele University. My project title is ‘An online ethnography of the fan community of the A Song of Ice and Fire novels and the Game of Thrones television adaptation’ and my aim is to investigate the history and current practices of the fan community of A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones.

With the permission of the owners of this website I am initiating this thread to try and encourage discussion about the topic described below.

An information sheet is available here, which will hopefully address any questions you may have about the research. The information sheet contains information about the research process, and also information about how your posts to this thread will be used. You are under no obligation to take part, however your help in the project would be much appreciated.

By posting in this thread you are agreeing to the statements on the consent sheet which is part of the information sheet linked to above. By posting in the thread you are agreeing that you are over 18.

If you have any queries please let me know.

PS: There is a thread here which you are very welcome to join to discuss the research project or ask questions.

***significant book and TV spoilers below**

The Red Wedding

There is already a thread about the Red Wedding, but it is quite general. I’d like to prompt a similar thread, but make this one a discussion about your thoughts about the scene, rather than how you imagine unsullied viewers will respond – although like many of you I can’t wait to find out their reactions.

I’d like us to use this thread to discuss our mental images of the Red Wedding before it is screened. I’d be especially interested if you could tell me about:

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene? What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

How do you imagine the scene will play out on screen?

How much (if at all) are you looking forward to the scene? Can you say why?

These questions are just a guide, and I encourage an open discussion so you don’t have to stick to them rigidly. I’ll post my own answers to the questions later, but would rather if you all took the lead to start.

Many thanks,

Inevittable

This is the mental image I had more or less.

http://cerque.devian...dding-325470316

I imagine the music (drums! drums must be emphasized, to make the song more of a funeral march) and then chaos, and screams , and then all overpowered by Grey Wind's ferocious and desperate howling. The wolf howls as if the world is about to end (because it is about to end for them anyway). Howling stops right when Robb dies and Cat has her throat cut open (I'd do their deaths no more than a couple of seconds apart, to maximize the impact)

BTW that illustration, it's like the Guernica of ASOIAF. That's what the Red Wedding is.

ETA: I liked that this chapter was Cat's POV. Not my fav character but she's a mother and there was no one better to convey the sense of tragedy. I was spoiled when I read it because I knew Robb died but I never imagined it was going to be this way. When I realized this was the moment -it was so ominous not to see it coming- I couldn't stop reading, it was almost frantic. Then I was sort of drained.

I watched Seasons 1 and 2 and then read all the books during the summer.

I was so out of it, so shocked by the whole scene, that I didn't realize the first time around that Cat was clawing at her own face. I thought someone was stabbing her face over and over. I still could not believe that she died, at the very end.

The sense of dread is so well conveyed throughout the wedding, the feeling that things were outright WRONG. It gets worse and worse, using subtle elements like the musicians being terrible and some of the Freys acting terribly strangely. The hardest part of Robb dying, for me, was seeing it through his mother's eyes. Cat had lost so much already, so to watch her firstborn die in front of her like that was unbearable. It was even more shocking and unbearable for me that she died herself. I literally had no inkling that she would die.

I don't think the scene could have been remotely as powerful if it was narrated by anyone else.

I'm honestly trying not to get my hopes up about the show translation. I so don't want to be disappointed, so I'm trying not to think about it too much.

Walder Frey keeps saying "heh"

Catelyn noticing how Bolton doesn't eat anything

Robb having to dance with all the Frey girls (and his line, "...I'll eat it and ask for a second bowl..")

Catelyn following Edwyn (?) Frey down the hallway

But I'm probably most excited for "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." If they cut it out, I'm going to be really upset

So basically the entire scene

Well, I'll do my best. I only read this scene once because I was attached to the characters who dies, and it was too painful to read through again, although I likely will after it is on the show just to sort out between the Books and Show universes.

The sequence plays out in several key parts in my mind:

1. They arrive at the Twins, and Grey Wind senses something is wrong. Catelyn takes notice but thinks it is simply him being the wild animal he is. Robb disregards it either as the same, or trusts that Walder will keep his word.

2. They enter, make small talk and Catelyn insists they eat to invoke the guest right. Walder acts as though it was assumed that they were under his protection to feign confidence of his guests.

3. Having done that they assume all is well and the marriage gets underway. After the marriage they have a feast. Edmure gets very drunk, and is taken to the bedding ceremony, meanwhile the Rains of Castamere is played loudly.

4. In the confusion following Edmure's departure Walder signals his men to kill the guests. Catelyn looks on in disbelief and almost a state of shock. By the time she realizes what is happening the best she can do is grab Jinglebells and hold him hostage for her own life.

5. Catelyn kills Jinglebells, and is in turn killed herself.

6. Arya later hears about the terrible things done to her family, and sees some things through warging what is presumably Nymeria.

When I read it I knew that a wedding was coming with big implications, but I assumed it would be Joffrey's wedding (which of course also had large implications for everyone). I thought this would be a low key wedding with some bitter feeling from Walder, but ending with his agreeing to support Robb once again. When I realized something was wrong, starting with Grey Wind's suspicion, I hoped that at least Robb and Cat would make it out alive.

Following the wedding I had to stop reading for the day and entered a sort of mini-mourning state. I realised that the Stark's greatest hope for justice was gone, and began connecting Bran's visions/Tywin's remarks/foreshadowing/etc. I started the books after the First eason of the show, so this was the first huge death for me, and it really hit home that George is a cruel and vengeful writer, much like the Medieval times were.

As the Show approaches the scene I just don't want it to happen, even though I know it will. Don't get me wrong I want to see it, as it is my most vivid memory from the books, but at the same time I wish it could end differently, and it's even worse seeing it coming and knowing the outcome. However in the show I am slightly less fond of Robb, who seems less a boy who had authority thrust upon him who made one mistake, and more as a self-sure man who does what he wants regardless of how it affects those around him.

I think the show will have it very frenzied so the viewer doesn't understand what is happening for a moment (sounds of the bedding ceremony bleed into screams, etc.), much like Cat's POV, and the Rains of Castamere will of course feature heavily as they have been foreshadowing it since last season. I get the feeling that it will be impossible to capture Catelyn's range of emotion without excessive dialogue, which of course would ruin the scene.

I can't imagine the scene from any other POV as I feel like it worked most powerfully being from Stark POVs, although I guess it would have been interesting to see the aftermath firsthand. Maybe Walder would make for an interesting POV, but then again it might just be one dimensional or insane, so it might be a terrible idea.

The Red Wedding as of right now is the centerpiece of the series for me, that might change depending on the last two books, but for now, it best shows the deceptive nature of Westerosi politics, the cruel medieval mindset of the characters, the personal angst and despair caused by this, plays into the magic of the series (via Bran and Arya), and remains an important plot point and memorable and iconic scene.

Nice Idea for A PHD Thesis by the way.

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene? What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

Knowing well in advance of the Frey and Bolton treachery as well as what they do to Robb's body in the end, I 'only' had to put the book down for some hours. My heart rate was up, I was totally abosrbed and my hands were cold.

The most vivid image was Cat looking at her blood trikling down her arms and thinking that "it tickles". It's a small bit of very dark humor I'd say, the point were I knew the character had snapped. I actually didn't even realise she was the one that clawed her face. The horror was that well done.

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

Not as powerful definetly since they were the ones that had the most to lose from the event. For the point of view style of the books it would not have worked for the readers.

That aside, Roose Bolton and Edmure could be good secondary narrators for the show. To switch from the relative happiness of Robb et co. to a cold and maybe awkward [to be around] Roose would round out the later's character and we could witness how he evolves in the eyes of whatever bannermen might switch to his side. While Edmure is enjoying his bedding (for all the good that does him :P) it might be worth checking in on him soon after he gets news of the massacre. At least he might partially redeem himself with a long, healthy "noooo!"

Also, is this question intended as literary just how would X have described it or should we also keep in mind the larger narrative?

Judging from the preview I wonder if it will get enough time, thus worried on that front. Robb hasn't gotten much screen time this season and the Unsullied I usually watch with have started to forget about him, or atleast not care as much. Which is sad cause at this point in the books is when I felt most invested in the characters (even knowing the outcome).

As to how it plays out, Robb and Cat will have a bonding moment at the beginning of the episode to hook in the audience. Maybe Cat telling her son she has to swallow every insult thrown at him, and Robb being mature in this regard and accepting. He should also comfort her in her grief or something along those lines. Otherwise, the actual wedding just like the books. Old actors will be brought back for the Greatjon and others to give motivations for later down the line. No idea what will happen with Talisa and the Blackfish, though I'm thinking they will escape to keep the mystery for the bookreaders alive. If not both then definetly the Blackfish escapes.

Very much! It's a really masterful bit of writting in how it plays with mood and setting. I'm looking forward to see how the show will handle it. And ofcourse whatever extra info we can get about for the book. :)

When I read the book I didn't fully realise what had just happened. I thought Catelyn was wounded, not dead (don't know how I got to that conclusion) and I came back later to better understand it. Mental images are Walder sitting on his chair and loving the sight of all the chaos, Grey Winds head on Robb, Catelyn's final moments, and her body in the river.

I also did not understand what was going on the first time I read it. I was just reading the story and did not know GRRM had all this immense material subtly hidden. I was a bit skeptical that the Frey bride was attractive. Then the bedding ceremony was a bit rowdy (was it the first in the series?). The musicians were loud and bad, and then Cat started talking to someone and became terrified after something they said, and then BAM! I stopped when Robb got shot and started talking with Frey. I had to re-read to figure out what just happenned. Then I still wasn't clear, but I kept reading this time and then Cat grabs the kid, but Frey doesn't care. Robb gets stabbed and then Cat.... I put down the book and didn't read it again for a while.

The most vivid thing in my mind is still the musicians playing horribly (drums beating, loud confusing music) then as music turns to cresciendo, they change to weapons, and then chaos.

It took me two more reads to figure out that Bolton was the one who stabbed him.

The image in my head of the musicians will have to be played out on TV for it to be perfect. It probably won't. I am looking forward to it because it is such an impactful scene. It is the essence of the books and their devastating unpredictibility, and yet when you read again there were plenty of hints.

I don't see the problem with it being in S3.

Me neither, but as I was so sure they would do it in Season 4, which would give me an extra year to prepare for it ( ;) ), it was kinda a shock when I found out I had to cope with that shit a year earlier. Perhaps it was deliberate ignoring on my part.

Glad to see I'm not that crazy after all.

Yes, well, I dare say I'm quite passionate sometimes. ;)

Me neither, but as I was so sure they would do it in Season 4, which would give me an extra year to prepare for it ( ;) ), it was kinda a shock when I found out I had to cope with that shit a year earlier. Perhaps it was deliberate ignoring on my part.

Yes, well, I dare say I'm quite passionate sometimes. ;)

:agree:

I imagined Robb dancing with D.M. mostly alone in a slightly sunken area, tables on 3 sides and the door on the forth. I imagine Greatjon on theside to the right of the door, Cat also on that side, but infront of the tables. Frey is on the Dias. The musicians in a balcony on the left side of the door to the right of the dias. Most of the surfaces are a grey stone. Edmure and the bedding have just gone out a passage way behind the dias, on the same side as the orchestra.

From Cat's point of view it is watching the first arrow go into Robb, and then the holding/killing of jinglebell

From Arya's point of view it is watching the tent go up in flames and then the gate ahead of as she runs towards it

(in both of those descriptions it was hard not to use the first person)

I had predicted that something like it was going to happen ("Your brother's bloody wedding") but the brutality and totality of it was a shock. Cat dying was a shock. Her thoughts of Ned at the end, heart breaking. I was very sad. I had had high hopes for Robb. When he dies I felt I no longer had much concern as to the outcome of the war of the 5 kings. Hurry up Dany, you know?

Hard to say. Edmure's would have been much like the Sansa in Kings Landing (a lot of noises and sounds from afar) I think they really were the best choices. The Hound might have had an interesting, rageful, response, futility of it all, the barbarism of Lords and Knights. Robb might have been relieved that Jeyne wasn't there? Angry at himself? Thought of himself as equally blindsided like his dad? Worried about his men?

Less gruesome than the book (like the Blackwater episode, thank goodness) Talisa and Robb will be dancing. She will die. I'm not sure if we will see all of the inside and then all the outside like in the book or if they will be intercut. The music will be bad. Roose will give Robb the Lannister's regards. I think it will take up most of the epsiode and once they start showing it, they will stick with it.

I'm looking forward to it to end the anticipation. Like scratching an itch. The dread will be over. I'm also less impressed by TV Robb so I'm ready to have that fiasco done. On the other hand I HATE Lady Stoneheart. I get her, I value her role in the story, but she's toxic rage and grief manifested... Bad news. Demoralizing. One of the bleakest aspects of the story. So looking forward to getting past the Red Wedding, not looking forward to her arrival.

---

Okay now I can go back and read what others have said.

ETA: I also had a "Wait, Arya TOO. Now I'm done" moment when I had to go look for an Arya chapter. I was pretty sure she wasn't, but I had a moment and needed to be sure sure. And then I go all worried about concussions and her developing brain...

I read it years ago when it first came out, when I was fairly young. I was actually running and listening to the audio version with Roy Dotrice the second time I read it a couple of years ago, doing my mile and a half run which is a military requirement for my physical training/testing. Some old guy came over to me and asked if I was alright (nearly giving me a heart attack), because apparently when this scene came on I was just standing dead-still on the side of the soccer field doing absolutely nothing.

That kind of shock doesn't happen with very many books I've read. I think the only time I've been that engrossed in what I was reading was when I read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Needless to say, the scene was traumatizing. I agree with others who say the show will not have the same affect, but at the same time I know a few non-reader viewers who are going to be very upset all the same.

Cat, who I never really liked in the books because her motherly quirks reminded me so much of my own mother that it hit me hard when she began to lose her mind right before her bloody end. The dumping of her body in the water sent me over the top. Bolton stabbing Robb made me so furious I can't even explain it, and the entire bloody affair had me gut-wrenched to say the least.

Powerful imagery. I love and hate George all at once.

Stood up. Walked away. Got back, reread the last two paragraphs. Stood up, screamed WHAT THE FUCK.

The most vivid mental image I have is of a screaming Arya being held back by the Hound, not allowed to go any closer to the Twins and then silenced by a hit to the head. I didn't know whether to expect her to survive that too, but I knew nothing had happened to her.

None of the other used POV characters were there, but I would have liked to know what the hound was thinking and came to do what he did, which was save Arya's life.

Jolly feast and everyone's happy, then the song starts and disconcert all round, then the crossbows start flying and the canopies start burning and we cut to Arya riding towards the wedding, only to turn back when she realizes something has gone wrong. I don't know. It won't feel so powerful on screen. I'm really looking forward to see how they will do it.

Really looking forward to it because the mental image in my head is really strong, but it's not as visually striking as that is required of a visual medium like television, and I'm eager to see how they pull it off. Also, my schadenfreude/masochism senses are itching to relive that terrible tragedy which I read years ago...

For me, I see short 1 to 2 second images in my head. The ones I remember are I believe it was Greatjon flipping a table for cover, the axe to the belly, Robb dropping to his knees with an arrow in the shoulder and leg, Roose with his pink robe, lunging with the final blow. Blood running over Cats fingers as she cuts Jinglebell's throat and of course her laughing madly and clawing her face. They all remain very vivid in my mind. It's still somewhat heartbreaking thinking about it.

I want the scene to remain as close to the book as possible. The viewers need to feel the horror, shock and sickness the readers felt. Its the most polarizing moment of the entire series.

I was spoiled about Robb dying on the internet already - by accident ofcourse - but I absolutely did not expect this. I was truly horrified and read the scene thrice over.

The most vived images were of:

- Catelyn touching a frey's arm, discovering he wore mail

- Robb being stabbed through the heart (the arrows didn't have this effect at all)

- Catelyn's death

Later, during the second re-read, the wolf-head scene became more lively than during the fist read

I find this very vague a question, because it depends on which character. From Robb, I think it would have been almost as shocking as from Catelyn, also a Stark bannerman would be interesting, but not as heartbreaking as Catelyn. A Frey wouldn't do the job I think, too casual and too ominous.As for Arya's replacement, I can think only of the Hound and that WOULD be interesting. It would be colder than Arya's, but also clearer I think, you'd get a better overview of the whole carnage.

Some things will have even more impact on screen, the physical stuff like the loud music, the arrows, the stab.. and the visual stuff, like the wolf's head. But Catelyn's and Arya's thoughts, you can never get those on screen as heartbreaking as in the books. But in general, if they stick to the books, I think it might have a bigger impact on the unsullied than it had on the readers, aso with Talisa being pregnant and dying or being a spy.

A LOT. Can't really say why for myself, a bit sadomachochistic perhaps, but I'm really curious about the viewer's reactions.

I'm a French reader, so a non-native English speaking user. But because I understand English pretty well and that I started reading after the second season, I chose to read the books in English (because I didn't want to have all the names mixed between the show - that I watch in english - and the books).

When I was reading Catelyn chapter, I was kind of secure because of guest right (I knew that something huge was coming in this book, but nothing more, so I didn't expect it). I never thought that Walder Frey, as a lord, could break it. So I was kind of "mocking" Catelyn because of all her worries. I was like : "Come on, don't over-worry, it's gonna be okay". So I was reading this chapter quickly (to get faster to the "huge event" I heard about in the internet - because I knew it was around the middle of the book, just where I was ...).

And when the Red Wedding started, I didn't really got it first. I was reading a lot of "bow" words, so I was : "What the fuck is happening, why am I reading the word "bow" every two lines? Did I miss something? And why are they singing the Lannister song?". Then I came back some paragraphs back to read more carefully what was happening, hoping of course that I misunderstood something. And of course, I wasn't ...

Then, it was the Arya chapter. At the end, I was : "WHAT THE FUCK GEORGE!! Ok, you can kill Robb and Cat, they were playing the game of thrones, and they didn't win, but Arya man ... She just wanted to see her mother. And why did the Hound change side?". And then I went to sleep (I was reading at night) cursing against Robb and his stupid choices.

The most vivid mental image I have of it is about Catelyn, when she was still trying to negotiate a truce against every logic, with the dagger at Jinglebell's throat. And the "hehs" of Walder Frey.

Not so good I think. If GRRM chose those characters, I think it's because they were the most fit.

Just like in my head, which doesn't mean anything, but you know, I don't know what to answer :stillsick:

Well, I'm looking forward to it since I read it. And I don't really know exactly what and how much "Memorial Day" means to you americans, but for now, it's clearly my least preferred holiday in your country :)

Well, I'm looking forward to it since I read it. And I don't really know exactly what and how much "Memorial Day" means to you americans, but for now, it's clearly my least preferred holiday in your country :)

Trust me, as an American, the holiday is pissing me off just because it's prolonging the best episode of the season.

My initial reactions to the scene? I had unfortunately been spoiled to Robb's death. I also knew that the most talked about part of the book was known as "The Red Wedding." However, here is the sentence (a comment on a YouTube video, yes, I learned my lesson) that spoiled Robb's death for me: "Stannis kills Robb and Joffrey."

So, I was not exactly expect Robb to die at the Twins, I honestly assumed the RW would be a marriage between Stannis and Melisandre, and that perhaps Joffrey and Robb would be captured and killed at the wedding.

When I started reading the Catelyn chapter that the RW occurred in, however, I did have a bad feeling. I will always remember reading it for the first time because GRRM was like a God in his suspenseful writing, and he maintained a feeling that something was off while simultaneously not giving away the fact that something BIG was about to go down. Then the Rains began to be sung, and then the drums... That was something that stuck with me the whole scene... Boom... Doom... Boom... I remember that right as the drums began my heart had begun to beat very quickly, and by the time the quarrel went through Robb's shoulder (had to double take on that sentence to make sure I read it correctly), I thought I was about to have a heart attack. That was when I knew Robb was doomed. I knew that this was the RW and that Robb would die, but then Catelyn grabbed JingleBell, and I started to get a sinking feeling... I did NOT receive any spoiler to indicate that anything would happen to Catelyn. I could hear the desperation in her voice when she begged to trade the safety of their sons, all the while knowing it would do no good. When Robb was stabbed and Catelyn began sawing at JingleBells throat (that image stuck pretty hard as well), I started to force myself to try and accept that Catelyn was about to die. As soon as I braced myself for it, she began to claw at her face, and then her thoughts of the blood (it tickles...) put her in hysterical laughter. THAT I was not prepared for, and I felt numb throughout my body... By the time they were slitting her throat, my mouth was straight up hanging open- I remember needing a moment to process what I just read, but I'm pretty sure the first thing I said (aloud, to myself) was "Holy... fucking... shit...."

Don't even get me started on the Arya chapter after that. "The axe came down on her head..." I honestly can't say if I believed it or not, deep down. What I DO know is that I repeated VERY loudly "NO. NO. NO. FUCK NO. NO." And immediately searched for the next Arya chapter in the book.

I think that there's only one way I think another POV could be nearly effective. Robbs, and I would see it like this: Robb did not die immediately as the sword went through his chest. He lives for a few more moments as he falls to the ground, but I think what would make that so haunting would be if the last thing he ever saw was his mother murder JingleBell, claw at her face laughing, and die horribly. As her throat was being slit, Robb's world faded to black and he was gone.

As far as how it goes on screen, I'm very hopeful that it is a very powerful if not as powerful as the book. What will make it or break it for me is how Cat dies. If it's not as gruesome or shocking and she does not die laughing and clawing at her own face, I will be disappointed that they wasted an opportunity to really drive in the horror of it all. I'm looking forward to the scene because I get off to having media move me emotionally, and I'm anxious to see the reactions of my non-reader friends.

I knew that there was a "big event" two thirds into the book that GRRM had emotional difficulty writing, and I knew that it was called the Red Wedding. I had guessed that Cat would die, but not Robb for some reason. I remember being very confused about what was happening the first time I was reading it, and I had to reread the chapter before I realized "yup, this is it, and it's significantly worse than I thought!" I was very upset about it, but not quite "throw the book" or "stop reading" upset. I think my reaction was less visceral because I knew something was going to happen to vastly outweigh Ned's execution. That may be my only regret about my reading experience of the series.

I have two very strong images: one from Cat's chapter and one from Arya's.

For Cat's chapter, the image in my head is just Walder Frey. This old, shriveled man sitting calmly in his chair, which is raised like a throne (I don't recall if his seat is described this way, but that's how I picture it). As every single event happens, there's this out of focus Walder in the background with a grin on his face, saying "Heh." His mockery of Robb stands out. As Cat is threatening JingleBell, he sits, his head a foot higher than Cat's due to his chair, and he just doesn't give a shit.

In Arya's chapter, I see her and the Hound outside in the camp at night, and things are just about to go down. The tents are starting to collapse from the fire. I'm seeing the castle on their side of the river with a huge gate (probably my own invention) from roughly Arya's perspective, and I can feel her joy and confusion as she doesn't realize the people coming through the gate are not on her side, but she start's sprinting to it anyway. She's desperate to see her family, and she's so. damn. close.

The line which stands out most to me is from Cat's prior chapter, though, when Walder Frey says "the red will run." It's such a beautiful and terrifying part of the sentence. I'm surprised HBO never used it as a soundbite in their trailers.

When I first read Catelyn's RW POV chapter, I wasn't clear what had happened when I finished it, probably because I was hoping I was wrong. I'm dreading seeing it on screen, and probably won't really watch it carefully - I'll look at a magazine or something while it's on, with the volume down. I'm sure it will be done very ominously on screen, with the audience knowing that something horrible is going to happen. I've re-read the series several times, and I always skip these chapters, so I've only read them the one time. And I'm not even that attached to Robb - it's just that something about the betrayal is so horrible, especially with Edmure and Roslin still getting married and spending the night together as this happens.

Archived