[Book spoilers] Northern bannermen ( or lack thereof )

Yeah, great job setting up what is supposed to be the best scene of the season, the most tragic event of the whole series, and the reason why ASoIaF became and adaptation in the first place. Good job D&D........

They are going to have AT LEAST half another episode (episode 9) dedicated just to them, and another scene this coming episode, pushing them well past anyone else. Also, what do you think the average viewer wants to see, Jamie and Brienne (an arc that has now finished) Arya, or Robb and Cat building up to an event THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WILL HAPPEN YET. The RW is a surprise, surprises are not meant to have hours and hours of build up. The viewers are going to remember Robb and Cats brutal deaths, not that conversation with their banner men a few episodes before.

10 minutes for Stannis and 8 for Davos is just pathetic.

I would be inclined to agree, but Davos really doesnt have much to do for most of SoS, apart from sit in a cell.

Aslo, If the show were following the book more closely, we wouldn't even have seen Stannis yet this season.

Can we complain about the lack of river lords too?

No Blackwoods, Brackens, Mallisters, Vances, Pipers, etc. Freys only in 1 episode. No Tullys till season 3.

Freys were in 2 episodes you whiny bastard :/. Unless you mean in season 3, then you're absolutely right :D. Yeah the Tullys were handled pretty awfully, introduced in an odd fashion (i mean what were they doing this whole war, waiting for Hoster to die before kicking into gear?), and the characters were assassinated in a ridiculous manner.

I'm starting to think maybe the RW will still be a shocker to non-readers. I didn't realize before, but nearly everyone believes it will just be Robb who dies at the wedding. They have no idea that it's going to be a complete slaughter. They've picked up on Robb being done for (especially after saying he promises to visit Talisa's mom...), but they think that's as far as it goes.

They aren't expecting Catelyn to die

They aren't expecting the bloodbath outside

They aren't expecting Edmure to be screwed

Basically, everyone thinks it's going to be just Robb who pays. So maybe they have fewer characters to be emotionally impacted by but they will still be devastated seeing the northerners break out into complete chaos. Even if they don't care about Robb or the northern bannermen, I think most people care a lot about what such an event means for the fates of Sansa and especially Arya. Seriously, I don't think I've seen anyone say they hate or dislike Arya. The most negative I've seen is that she doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

So the lack of bannermen may not matter, as people will realize the effect on the characters they are already emotionally invested in, in addition to being shocked that so many people at the wedding pay for Robb and Catelyn's decisions.

if they leave out the will and don't bother to show anything to do with Robb and Cat next week RIGHT be for the RW im just gonna freak! I will just..... ugh I don't no maybe i'll just cry

The will is out. Why would Robb want to make a last will if he's going to have a child?

• 3 weeks later...

Because the cast is big enough already. No casual viewer is going to shed a single tear over some secondary character... its Robb they are going to get pissed off about, not his followers.

As someone who hadn't read the books before season two, I can say that I was fairly upset when they killed Jory and the rest of Ned's guard. The RW did suffer from the lack of Robb's bannermen, amongst many other things.

Archived