[Book Spoilers] Ruby Ford

IN ASOS, Bolton leaves Harrenhal for the Twins to meet Robb Stark, but as we all know he has already turned his cloak and on the march allows Clegane to fall on him at the Ruby Ford. But only after Bolton and his own men have crossed the river does the attack occur.

My question is do you guys think D&D will still include this in the story? I know they won't show the attack it would only be discussed only after Roose has arrived at the Twins. Now as for Duskendale that can be taken out altogether.

in one of the production photos I saw a Manderly, so instead of being captured at the Ford, he may be taken prisoner at the Twins

So like I said what do you guys think about this? Do you feel it needs to be included in the show?

Thoughts

They did include Edmure's mistake on repelling Tywin, though how the show portrayed it has some criticisms that can be found in Elio's analysis video. The writers are definitely ok with just telling us how that battle went down and how it was significant so I'd say that's a good indication talk of the Ruby Ford could make its way on screen.

But it would have to be during or right before the RW to not cause suspicion. My Unsullied sister already was confused on why Roose let Jaime go.

They did include Edmure's mistake on repelling Tywin, though how the show portrayed it has some criticisms that can be found in Elio's analysis video. The writers are definitely ok with just telling us how that battle went down and how it was significant so I'd say that's a good indication talk of the Ruby Ford could make its way on screen.

But it would have to be during or right before the RW to not cause suspicion. My Unsullied sister already was confused on why Roose let Jaime go.

In the book...roose let Jamie go well before the red wedding....what was the reason GRRM gave as to not arouse suspicion of Boltons ultimate betreal? Was it just greed and that he wanted the ransom for himself? I don't quite remember the excuse he gave why he sent Jamie back to his father....or was he just convinced the war was lost and did it as a political move...or both....but it was written is such a way as to not arouse boltons utter and complete betrayal of Robb...

I really hope they include the ambush at the Ruby Ford and the defeat at Duskendale(although the latter might be a little too late). It shows just how much Roose did to damage Robb's campaign, and would make him appear as more of the magnificent bastard that he is in the books. It also shows that he didn't jump ship suddenly, and had secretly and cautiously planning the betrayal of Robb in a very systematic manner.

I think showing the ruby ford would be expensive and unneccessary. It was a deliberately ambiguous event. It would eat up air-time and budget.

However, I think talking about it is necessary- the way it is described, the cost, Robb's dismay that "so few?" arrive, the greater reliance on "believing" in Roose's loyalty, and anything that provides the RW with more rationale and context is all good. Roose needs as much air-time as possible so on re-watches, people can be fully rewarded.

I think discussing the RF could provide the show with an excuse to introduce some generic sacrificial lords in time for the RW. show Robb's personal delight that they managed to come through unscathed, show their mutual goodwill, his trust in their views.

@theHairyBear: I think it is important to include because I feel as though that in later season will indeed see and hear that despite his failed campaign Robb did have loyal followers. In one trailer I see a part where Tyrion says "the Northerners will never forget this" which hint that the North will be very upset because of the Red Wedding.

To everyone else, you guys have some valid points and good analysis. Some things and theories I would have never thought of myself.

in one of the production photos I saw a Manderly, so instead of being captured at the Ford, he may be taken prisoner at the Twins

Wylis is the one captured at the Ruby Ford. The Manderly at the RW is Wendel, just like in the books.

More than the Ruby Ford, I hope they at least mention the Battle of Duskendale

I hope they include some talk of both battles/slaughters if for nothing else but to note how precarious the situation is and to build on how much is riding on Robb being forgiven at and getting Frey soldiers after Edmure and Rosalin's wedding.

Ain't I a stinker?

No, not really. I'd just like to have a little more emotional buildup before the music changes...

Two more reasons for mentioning the RF/Duskendale is:

It gives Robb and Roose something to talk about before the RW, and gives Roose the killer line "I blame myself" which passes by without anyone blinking.

It reminds viewers that the war has not been put on hold for this mass outbreak of weddings, but that battles have been fought, and recently.

I'd rather they tie in the Ramsay reveal with the RW than the ruby ford sequence tbh. That'll be enough of a hint to viewers that the Boltons are up to something.

I hope they include a scene about Robb's will, but I have a feeling they won't...

I hope they include a scene about Robb's will, but I have a feeling they won't...

I suspect that we will get a Theon skin letter sealed with pink wax that says Bran and Rickon are dead in the first 5 minutes of Episode 9 along with at least one or two shots of those mysterious gold sealed letters from the Hand of the King.

Robb already got word of the losses of Duskendale, he was furious about it at Riverrun, remember? It was in one of the earlier season 3 episodes.

I expect all they need to say about Bolton fighting the Mountain's horde is a passing mention by Bolton himself, "We lost some guys crossing the river." Maybe he could add that line from the book about leaving other men to guard the Trident, and only arriving with his own Bolton men and the Karstark men left under his command (who may or may not have heard that their Lord was beheaded by Robb for treason). "Yeah, I left all the guys I thought might spontaneously defend you miles away, and only came with the dudes who are most obedient to me, or already hate you." :devil:

(For more detail see: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Battle_of_the_Ruby_Ford )

Although even in the context of the book I suppose it's possible that the pact between Bolton and Lannister was so secret that the Mountain didn't know about it. But then, what if the Mountain had killed Bolton? It would have badly damaged the Tywin's schemes going forward. So I'm assuming the Mountain knew to attack only those Northmen who didn't fly the Bolton flayed man or the Karstark sun.

The other thing from the book likely to make it into the scene is Bolton giving Robb a strip of Theon's skin, and giving Robb a false account of how Winterfell went down (eg Ramsay came to the rescue vs Ramsay did it at my command).

Robb already got word of the losses of Duskendale, he was furious about it at Riverrun, remember? It was in one of the earlier season 3 episodes.

That was the Battle of Stone Mill, not Duskendale.

Maybe he could add that line from the book about leaving other men to guard the Trident, and only arriving with his own Bolton men and the Karstark men left under his command (who may or may not have heard that their Lord was beheaded by Robb for treason). "Yeah, I left all the guys I thought might spontaneously defend you miles away, and only came with the dudes who are most obedient to me, or already hate you."

That would make a lot of sense.

I expect all they need to say about Bolton fighting the Mountain's horde is a passing mention by Bolton himself, "We lost some guys crossing the river." Maybe he could add that line from the book about leaving other men to guard the Trident, and only arriving with his own Bolton men and the Karstark men left under his command (who may or may not have heard that their Lord was beheaded by Robb for treason). "Yeah, I left all the guys I thought might spontaneously defend you miles away, and only came with the dudes who are most obedient to me, or already hate you." :devil:

haha seems legit! that's quite funny but I also agree with you,

Archived