(Book Spoilers) Coldhands Problem

Mr Smith

I'm anticipating that we're going to meet Coldhands in the coming episode (assuming they haven't cut him altogether, which would be a whole other thing). As far as I'm aware, there are two major theories on who Coldhands is. One is that he is the Night's King, a Lord Commander during the Age of Heroes who supposedly to an Other to wife and began to rule the Nights Watch like a king until being put down by both the King in the North and the King Beyond the Wall. The other is that he is in fact Benjen Stark.

Although I am personally open to both theories, this post assumes that Coldhands is in fact Jon's uncle, lost beyond the wall. If so, this will have posed something of a problem for the writers: we already know what Benjen looks like. They could through a cloth over most of his face, true, but the viewers probably haven't forgotten Benjen completely, and may still recognise his voice.

The writers may have encountered a similar problem this season with Astran/Barristan, but given that the readers at least knew who Astran really was, decided to chop the knot and reveal his true identity immediately. For obvious reasons they can't do this with "Benjen".

Unless its done carefully, either one of the two major theories mentioned above will be ruled out for the readership.

Thoughts?

Can someone please fill me in on why Coldhands can't be introduced later? Wasn't he introduced in the book when Sam comes in the secret entrance? Because can't they just be swarmed by wights after this scene and he show up with the ravens?

I think Coldhands will show up sooner rather than later...and I don't think he is Uncle Benjen or whomever. I think he is just a former Crow who now serves Bloodraven. Maybe he was Bloodraven's steward when he was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch or something like that. Or maybe we will never know who he is and he never appears in the books again.....

I like him though and hope he shows up soon. I think Bran will end up at the Wall soon.

Can someone please fill me in on why Coldhands can't be introduced later? Wasn't he introduced in the book when Sam comes in the secret entrance?

this wasn't the secret entrance though....this is when sam becomes Sam the slayer .... Cold hands comes in post Red and Purple wedding

They don't really need to cast a high paid actor as Coldhands. His face is covered the whole time we see him in the books. They could realistically just have an extra play him and use someone as a voiceover who is already on the payroll. So, I don't think worrying about casting budget will really effect whether or not we get Coldhands.

Although I am personally open to both theories, this post assumes that Coldhands is in fact Jon's uncle, lost beyond the wall. If so, this will have posed something of a problem for the writers: we already know what Benjen looks like. They could through a cloth over most of his face, true, but the viewers probably haven't forgotten Benjen completely, and may still recognise his voice.

The writers may have encountered a similar problem this season with Astran/Barristan, but given that the readers at least knew who Astran really was, decided to chop the knot and reveal his true identity immediately. For obvious reasons they can't do this with "Benjen".

Unless its done carefully, either one of the two major theories mentioned above will be ruled out for the readership.

Thoughts?

Yeah, there's no way they'll be able to pull it off unless they cast another actor or cover his face entirely and change his voice. They probably just do away with the character.

If they had made Sam killed the other in the beggining, they would be able to introduce Coldhands now, that's why I thini Weiss and Benioff are a bit stupid, they have Martin as a consultor, consult him for heaven sake

cold hands is not Benjen

the Child of The Forest they meet in the cave entrace told Bran and the Reeds that Coldhands died a long time ago

he's the Night King

the Child of The Forest they meet in the cave entrace told Bran and the Reeds that Coldhands died a long time ago

Means nothing. It was an offhand comment to get Bran to stop worrying about him, not a definitive statement on his age.

If they had made Sam killed the other in the beggining, they would be able to introduce Coldhands now, that's why I thini Weiss and Benioff are a bit stupid, they have Martin as a consultor, consult him for heaven sake

cold hands is not Benjen

he's the Night King

There are 2 episodes left, why do you think they can't just introduce the character at any point in those? They are running away surrounded by ravens, i'm betting the last episode is them slugging it out maybe running into Grenn and then Coldhands showing.

Stupid for wanting to stretch out the source material as long as they can, so that actors actually have shit to do? Yeah, totally stupid.

There are 2 episodes left, why do you think they can't just introduce the character at any point in those? They are running away surrounded by ravens, i'm betting the last episode is them slugging it out maybe running into Grenn and then Coldhands showing.

Grenn never saw Coldhands, so, I don't think they'll meet Grenn

Means nothing. It was an offhand comment to get Bran to stop worrying about him, not a definitive statement on his age.

Does that change the fact the leaf still would not say "long ago" about someone who has died recently? Offhand or not, I'm not going to say someone who has been dead for a year or two died "long ago" nor is that exact wording necessary to get it across to Bran that Coldhands is safe.

Does that change the fact the leaf still would not say "long ago" about someone who has died recently? Offhand or not, I'm not going to say someone who has been dead for a year or two died "long ago" nor is that exact wording necessary to get it across to Bran that Coldhands is safe.

It's entirely possible she doesn't even know how long he's been dead, doesn't know anything about him at all except that he's Bloodraven's servant - a guess then. Personally, I think it was a sly attempt by GRRM to throw the readers off while still leaving the other possibility open. As he always says, words are wind.

Archived