(Book Spoilers) Coldhands Problem

Mr Smith

Well I don't believe in the theory that Coldhands is Benjen, so I dont see a problem and in any case in the books he is always with his face covered. I only will be very disappointed if they don't use him in the show and considering all the crows in the scene and that the scene happened in the place (or at least it looks like) where Coldhands come to help Sam, I'm expecting to see him this season.

All those ravens were epic but weren't in the trailers we saw, we saw Ravens coming out of someones cloak, presumably Coldhands in the trailers.

Can someone link me to this trailer? I feel like I've seen them all a hundred times but I can't remember this.

First post by the way.... hello!

I'm absolutely dying to know if the ravens were just a cool ~spooky detail~ of the scene/maybe a little nod to the books or if they mean Coldhands is appearing this season.

Can someone link me to this trailer? I feel like I've seen them all a hundred times but I can't remember this.

First post by the way.... hello!

Same here, this doesn't sound remotely familiar. A link to the trailer or a gif I guess would be great. (also welcome)

I'm just throwing this out there, but it's possible for Coldhands to appear without being cast yet. If you watch The Walking Dead, Michonne's first appearance in the season finale before last was a brief cameo with a different actress filling in. She wasn't cast until the following season. So as long as Coldhands makes a brief non-speaking appearance then there's no need to cast him until next season, as anybody can wear the costume to make a brief non-speaking appearance.

I think this is very possible.. Have Sam show up and meet Bran, tell him about the passage and how someone is waiting on the other side, finishing the episode with Bran crawling (or whatever) through the darkness - revealing him to viewers since the Sam/Coldhands interaction is likely off screen.

S4 opens up with him coming up on the other side and Coldhands welcoming the group (which is now minus Osha/Rickon since she vowed not to cross the Wall)

Slight change to your scene. Have sam say there's someone to meet him on the other side of the wal. Rickon and osha split from the rest and go to where ever. then bran goes through the door, we see or hear a bunch of ravens bran looks around and sees coldhands.

You don't even really need to cast a actor to play the role, it could be a extra like Beric was the first season.

I'm absolutely dying to know if the ravens were just a cool ~spooky detail~ of the scene/maybe a little nod to the books or if they mean Coldhands is appearing this season.

Same here, this doesn't sound remotely familiar. A link to the trailer or a gif I guess would be great. (also welcome)

I also have never seen this in the trailers. link please, but I have my doubts.

but you're not the one saying 'a long time' in the book - Leaf does. And Leaf is hundreds of years old, possibly thousands.

I've given my view on this already. In short, it wasn't anything definite, and dead is dead no matter how long one has lived.

benjen isn't coldhands.

if he was, you'd think Bran or even Hodor just might have recognized his corpse by the end of aDwD

He's covered up, so of course they can't recognize his features.

My favorite crackpot theory I have come up with is that Coldhands is Aegon V who is Egg from the Dunk and Egg stories. I think that Bloodraven saved him from the fires of Summerhall and he joined the Nights watch anonymously out of grief for the death of his son Duncan the Small.

My favorite crackpot theory I have come up with is that Coldhands is Aegon V who is Egg from the Dunk and Egg stories. I think that Bloodraven saved him from the fires of Summerhall and he joined the Nights watch anonymously out of grief for the death of his son Duncan the Small.

Actually, that theory has been around for a while now.

but you're not the one saying 'a long time' in the book - Leaf does. And Leaf is hundreds of years old, possibly thousands.

benjen isn't coldhands.

if he was, you'd think Bran or even Hodor just might have recognized his corpse by the end of aDwD

Leaf is saying it to a boy who thinks someone is outside being killed NOW, last week would be long ago in reference to go outside and save him now.

Means nothing. It was an offhand comment to get Bran to stop worrying about him, not a definitive statement on his age.

Not true. The cotf wasn't just making any offhand comments. Coldhands isnt benjen. The comment is very telling.

I've given my view on this already. In short, it wasn't anything definite, and dead is dead no matter how long one has lived,

huh? I would never say someone's been dead for a long time that was dead for a year.

The only thing clearer would have been if Leaf said, "bran, that isnt your uncle benjen on that elk, just in can you were wondering."

All Coldhands has to do between now and the end of season 4 is ride an elk, scare off the wights and rescue Sam and Gilly. He doesn't have to talk, or reveal his face. A hooded face, a flat, dull voice, they could avoid revealing Coldhand's identity throughout seasons 5 and 6 too if they wanted to, but there is a risk this man is being overrated. He could be a random man of the nights watch. If he was Benjen Stark, why didn't Bran recognise him? All this guy does is help Sam get to the wall, and Bran get to Bloodraven- something both were trying to do anyway. He's not essential to the plot.

Archived