(Book Spoilers) Coldhands Problem

Mr Smith

If Coldhands doesnt show up this season, Sam either finds his own way to the Wall - and then how does he get to the Nightfort and find out about the gate - or Sam is left on his own until next season. I wonder about the elk. Doesnt seem worth it to spend the money on a man riding an elk. Well we'll see.

To me it just felt like too much, too soon. You got the feeling this whole army of White Walkers and wights was about to storm the Wall and all (frozen) hell was about to break loose on the Seven Kingdoms. As a reader I was like, "Hey, that can't happen yet!" Sure enough episode 301 rolls around and they've all dissapeared.

Um, no, that was the army of wights that attacked the Fist. So it happened right on time. And this season sure enough the Fist had been attacked and the force broken up.

Um, no, that was the army of wights that attacked the Fist. So it happened right on time. And this season sure enough the Fist had been attacked and the force broken up.

"Boy, I can't wait till next season when there will have been a battle," I remember thinking, "Maybe some people will stand around and talk about it a little, and will get some vague idea of what happened."

Coldhands is probably the Nights King, and either we won't see his face this season and he is fleshed out next season, or they will cut him all together.

I don't think its Benjen. And even if they use a different actor for Benjen it won't be the first time in the TV show - Beric Dondarion Season 1 vs Season 3 anyone?

Coldhands is probably the Nights King, and either we won't see his face this season and he is fleshed out next season, or they will cut him all together.

I don't think its Benjen. And even if they use a different actor for Benjen it won't be the first time in the TV show - Beric Dondarion Season 1 vs Season 3 anyone?

Nobody walks out of a room like Beric Dondarrion Season 1. Nobody.

I think Long ago also means Long ago. look at today's perspective, long ago isn't people that died in Iraq, Long ago is more people that died in WWII there are just a miniscule handful of them around.That is just the view of Americans, Europe thinks we are just a bunch of whippersnappers, put that into the perspective of a being that can recall hundreds of years in their own right. Long ago means not this decade.

What if they use Ghost instead of coldhands?

That doesn't make any sense. Unless they make BR in control of Ghost which...why would they do that?

Well, since they've already changed Sam's encounter with the Other I don't see why they can't postpone Coldhand's part. But since we know nothing about his appearance other than his eye-color they can cast just about anyone. Even the actor who played Benjen could play Coldhands, as long as he changes his voice. As for the theory, I'm more inclined to believe that he's the Night's King, rather than Benjen.

• 4 weeks later...

You're right - those are the questions. I have always believed that Coldhands is Benjen who was resurrected by the Three-Eyed Crow in the same way as Donderrion and Stoneheart (remember, Bloodraven was "rumored" to be a sorceror ;) ) in order to send him to protect Bran and bring Bran to him. It explains his seeming autonomy. Him being dead in the frozen north would mean his extremeties would quickly turn black so that explains his hands. I also believe you are right when you say that it is not Coldhands skinchanging the ravens and elk - it is the TEC doing that to aid them.

Finally, the idea that because Leaf happens to be long-lived she absolutely must have meant tens, hundreds, or thousands of years ago when she said "they killed him long ago" of Coldhands is just as big of an assumption as anything else. It's not nearly the "smoking gun" absolute proof that people make it out to be :idea:

ETA: Also, I disagree with you that Coldhands killed the NW deserters for no reason. Not only were they deserters who had murdered their Lord Commander but, more importantly, they were a danger to getting Bran to the TEC. I think they were tracking them. Also, the meat from that "sow" Coldhands found was quite welcome to the starving kids ;)

I agree with all of this. I'm surprised that the words "long ago" are interpreted with such certainty when they are quite vague.

I agree with all of this. I'm surprised that the words "long ago" are interpreted with such certainty when they are quite vague.

She also says that the three-eyed-crow lived "beyond a mortal span." which means she knows her sense of time. This assuming BR=TEC, though I don't think there is any doubt about that. There's no reason to believe "long ago" is actually the children of the forests' code for "he was killed about two and half years ago."

Archived