(Book Spoilers) Coldhands Problem

Mr Smith

If they had made Sam killed the other in the beggining, they would be able to introduce Coldhands now, that's why I thini Weiss and Benioff are a bit stupid, they have Martin as a consultor, consult him for heaven sake

cold hands is not Benjen

the Child of The Forest they meet in the cave entrace told Bran and the Reeds that Coldhands died a long time ago

he's the Night King

But Sam killed him exactly when he was supposed too, so I don't see where you are coming from.

It's entirely possible she doesn't even know how long he's been dead, doesn't know anything about him at all except that he's Bloodraven's servant - a guess then. Personally, I think it was a sly attempt by GRRM to throw the readers off while still leaving the other possibility open. As he always says, words are wind.

There are a million ways to say "this person is dead" without saying "this person has been dead for a long time". Leaf did the second. Ergo, Coldhands has been dead for a long time. Saying words are wind is just a silly way of admitting the text does not support your thesis.

But Sam killed him exactly when he was supposed too, so I don't see where you are coming from.

In the books Sam slays the Other when the Night's Watch was running away from the Fist of the First Men, before going into Craster's Keep

that's where they starting to call him Sam the Slayer

and then when he's with Gilly in the shed, they were under attack by wights, and there's where Coldhands appears and saves them

As several others have said, the child of the forest says the wights killed coldhands "long ago" which considering their life span far outlasts humans they surely did not mean just a year or two ago. People want Benjen to come back I understand and maybe he will, he just ain't coldhands.

There are a million ways to say "this person is dead" without saying "this person has been dead for a long time". Leaf did the second. Ergo, Coldhands has been dead for a long time. Saying words are wind is just a silly way of admitting the text does not support your thesis.

How long is a long time? Tyrion says he died long ago (in KL) in his second or third chapter. And it's not me who says words are wind -- that's something GRRM has been trying to make a point of, else he wouldn't repeat it so much.

I'm sure Coldhands won't be cast until Bran needs him to be cast. So maybe not until the next 1 or 2 seasons depending how they handle Bran's arc.

I agree. Coldhands has more to do with Bran than with Sam. I hadn't been expecting Bran to go through the Nightfort this season so I wasn't expecting Coldhands either.

The ravens obviously were a sign of Coldhands presence and they warned Sam and Gilly of the arrving other. However I'm not sure if we do see him this season. We know that Sam meets Bran in the Nightfort in E10, but the Sam/Coldhands meeting might be off-screen, which would suck undoubtely, while his on-screen-debut would be in the beginning of season 4 while meeting up with Bran. I hope we will get him this season, but doubt that we will get further information of his identity.

How long is a long time? Tyrion says he died long ago (in KL) in his second or third chapter. And it's not me who says words are word -- that's something GRRM has been trying to make a point of, else he wouldn't repeat it so much.

A long time is pretty self-evident when it comes to death. It means years. Many years. Words are wind is used when talking about people discussing what they will do to pay you back and such, no comments like the one lead said to Bran. It literally makes no sense to use that argument in this circumstance.

A long time is pretty self-evident when it comes to death. It means years. Many years. Words are wind is used when talking about people discussing what they will do to pay you back and such, no comments like the one lead said to Bran. It literally makes no sense to use that argument in this circumstance.

Two years is a long time to be dead, I'd say. And words are wind is a general statement - he's simply pointing to the fact that they can be very misleading, as they are here.

Also, as I mentioned, other characters have made offhand remarks to events taking place a long time ago when in fact they haven't (even for a human).

do you think they'll end the season like last time w/ Sam surrounded by Wights? That would be disappointing to me. But who cares, RW next episode baby!

Yeah, so they can begin next season with a black screen and all you hear are screams and Sam whining. Would be so awesome....

Two years is a long time to be dead, I'd say. And words are wind is a general statement - he's simply pointing to the fact that they can be very misleading, as they are here.

Also, as I mentioned, other characters have made offhand remarks to events taking place a long time ago when in fact they haven't (even for a human).

he's a special wight, so, why would Benjen be special wight

do you know the Night King story?

he married a female other and it would be very logical, if she turned him in a special wight, in the name of their love

Benjen is alive, that's my opinion

Did any one notice it was the same Other from the season 2 finale? The one that looked at...I mean towards Samwell.

I was looking forward to Coldhands :( Could have just kept him on the elk, face covered, saying one or two silghtly audible words at a time.

this wasn't the secret entrance though....this is when sam becomes Sam the slayer .... Cold hands comes in post Red and Purple wedding

But the secret enterance is soon (it is def in this season as per the pre season trailers) and so Coldhands has to be in the next episode. Which would totally make sense since they had all the birds around when Slayer did the deed

The ravens obviously were a sign of Coldhands presence and they warned Sam and Gilly of the arrving other. However I'm not sure if we do see him this season. We know that Sam meets Bran in the Nightfort in E10, but the Sam/Coldhands meeting might be off-screen, which would suck undoubtely, while his on-screen-debut would be in the beginning of season 4 while meeting up with Bran. I hope we will get him this season, but doubt that we will get further information of his identity.

I think this is very possible.. Have Sam show up and meet Bran, tell him about the passage and how someone is waiting on the other side, finishing the episode with Bran crawling (or whatever) through the darkness - revealing him to viewers since the Sam/Coldhands interaction is likely off screen.

S4 opens up with him coming up on the other side and Coldhands welcoming the group (which is now minus Osha/Rickon since she vowed not to cross the Wall)

Cutting Coldhands is unacceptable imo, he really stirs things up in Bran's plot. We'll see him, I can see the last scene of episode 10 being his introduction as the seasons tend to end on a big "magical" notes (dragons, Others, etc.)

I think the opening of Episode 9 will be the coldhands scene. They like to do this I think, like with Jaime's hand in Episode 4' end in Jaime scene in Episode 3 and start with a Jaime scene episode 4

All those ravens were epic but weren't in the trailers we saw, we saw Ravens coming out of someones cloak, presumably Coldhands in the trailers. So well definitely see Coldhands this season, Im thinking start of Episode 9 but maybe start of Episode 10, so they can lead him to Bran in the Nightfort.

What was really interesting about this scene was what they showed with the weirwood tree. letting us know that the Old gods are watching, that they have powers much like the Lord of Light, and definitely that Coldhands of commanded by the powers of the Old Gods.....Bloodraven is still a mystery, but this weirwood tree scene tells me the writers planned this for a reason

Archived