CK2: Game of Thrones Mod Game for AFOIAF

The Game of Thrones: Wars of Conquest

From the Wall to the Arbor, from Lonely Light to Cracklaw Point rumours are abound. Dragons have been sighted on the Dragonstone and a letter has been sent to all the Kings of Westeros,"There will be only one King." Now is a time of choices, will the kings of the North, the Isles and Rivers, the Vale, the Rock, the Reach, the Stormlands and Dorne kneel before this Dragonlord... or resist?

To win is to gain power like nothing else before it, but to resist may mean the end of not only your Kingdom, but also your House. In the Game of Thrones you either win or you die... are you ready to play?

After some discussion on the general CK2 thread I decided to make my own thread to organize this better. The idea is to organize a time and a place to play the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 with members of these forums as the players.The scenario we will be playing is the Wars of Conquest with the players taking on the roles of the Kings of the royal families of Westeros, or other notable Houses that may soon rise to prominence. The idea is to (in addition to having a great time) to create a compelling story with the player characters and their families as the main cast. Nobody knows yet how long the game will last, but my guess would be until people get sick of it!

If you have any questions or wish to join in, post here! We're always looking for more players and suggestions.

Some rules to follow:

• No assassin spam.
  • No "exterminating" an entire dynasty on a whim if you can.
  • If in alliance with a player and you accept the call to arms you must send at least your personal levies to help him out.
  • Roleplay your character to the best of your ability.
  • Preferably no custom dynasties.

The current players and their Houses are:

• Olligarchy: House Lannister of Casterly Rock (GMT +2)
  • Capibara: House Hornwood of Hornwood (GMT - 5)
  • Job Snow: House Hightower of Oldtown (GMT +1) (On Hiatus)
  • Hrafsnmerki: House Durrendon of Storms End. (GMT -5)
  • SerBrightflame: House Targaryen of Dragonstone (GMT +10)
  • Harry the Heir: House Royce of Runestone (GMT - 7)
  • SnowStorm: House Tully of Riverrun ()
  • PinkPhantom: House Reyne of Castamere (GMT+1)
  • MostInterestingManWesteros: House Stark of Winterfell (GMT - 6)

I'd love to be either House Durrendon or Baratheon of the Stormlands. Are we playing War of Conquest of Seven Kingdoms? Because sometimes when I play Seven Kingdoms the war never starts... sometimes a certain faceless person deals with Aegon.

I'd love to be either House Durrendon or Baratheon of the Stormlands. Are we playing War of Conquest of Seven Kingdoms? Because sometimes when I play Seven Kingdoms the war never starts... sometimes a certain faceless person deals with Aegon.

I'd prefer Wars of Conquest. Means that whoever(?) plays as Aegon will pretty much conquer us all pretty quickly, but still gives a chance for cool turns of events and alliances.

I'll jot you down as House Durrendon. If you get killed by Aegon he'll legitimize Orys, marry Argella and then you'll continue as him!

As someone who has played for over a year nothing but CK2 multiplayer with and without the GOT-mod (with up to 32 people) I can give you the following tipps: Regarding the rules: Do not banish characters (huge money exploit, that's forbidden in any CK2 MP game) , Do not set yourself 2 times the same job ambition (otherwise people create ingame monsters with 60+ stats everywhere), do not start factions that you never wish to enforce (coop exploit), no imprisonment without an ingame reason, do not press random claimants against another players primary title (otherwise you spend the whole time at war with everybody else), do not destroy titles (cheapest exploit possible). Regarding the game: starting as so big characters is realy boring, trust me when I say that it's much more fun if everybody starts as a 1 county count and works his way up ;) and regarding the startdate, the after the spring scenario is probably the best possible for a MP-game, as the realm is relatively stable and everything lore-important is already there (kings landing, kingsguard) and no major familys are realy extinct so there are the reynes, tarbecks, whents and darklyns ;) I think the best way to organize this is to keep this thread updated, create another thread on the CK2 forums and create a steamgroup to organize everything. Now the biggest problem with CK2 is the bad netcode of the game, so here are some basic rules to get a game going: * do not use the metaserver but direct-IP, NEVER ABSOLUTLY NEVER CLICK THE BACK BUTTON IN THE MP-LOBBY -- ANYBODY !!! -- , set the autosave to monthly, if an out of synch happens which it does very often in this game then announce the rehost on time but don't rehost every time or you won't be playing more then 25% of the planned time, give everybody the right to ask for one rehost and that's it, if they dropp out 2 times then they have to wait for somebody else to also dropp out and most importantly, make sure that everybody got the same checksum before the game has even begun, also get a good host with at least 4mbit upload and a good location (US east coast or central Europe, anything farther to the east or west will result in sheer frustration), get a ts-server to handle the rehosts.

Oh crap, I don't have Steam. Is that going to be a problem?

Shouldn't be as far as I know (did some googling, couldn't find anything), just make sure your checksum matches everyone else's. Multiplayer games are launched from the game itself and not from steam. Also ports and all that fun stuff, or vpn client like hamachi.

As someone who has played for over a year nothing but CK2 multiplayer with and without the GOT-mod (with up to 32 people) I can give you the following tipps: Regarding the rules: Do not banish characters (huge money exploit, that's forbidden in any CK2 MP game) , Do not set yourself 2 times the same job ambition (otherwise people create ingame monsters with 60+ stats everywhere), do not start factions that you never wish to enforce (coop exploit), no imprisonment without an ingame reason, do not press random claimants against another players primary title (otherwise you spend the whole time at war with everybody else), do not destroy titles (cheapest exploit possible). Regarding the game: starting as so big characters is realy boring, trust me when I say that it's much more fun if everybody starts as a 1 county count and works his way up ;) and regarding the startdate, the after the spring scenario is probably the best possible for a MP-game, as the realm is relatively stable and everything lore-important is already there (kings landing, kingsguard) and no major familys are realy extinct so there are the reynes, tarbecks, whents and darklyns ;) I think the best way to organize this is to keep this thread updated, create another thread on the CK2 forums and create a steamgroup to organize everything. Now the biggest problem with CK2 is the bad netcode of the game, so here are some basic rules to get a game going: * do not use the metaserver but direct-IP, NEVER ABSOLUTLY NEVER CLICK THE BACK BUTTON IN THE MP-LOBBY -- ANYBODY !!! -- , set the autosave to monthly, if an out of synch happens which it does very often in this game then announce the rehost on time but don't rehost every time or you won't be playing more then 25% of the planned time, give everybody the right to ask for one rehost and that's it, if they dropp out 2 times then they have to wait for somebody else to also dropp out and most importantly, make sure that everybody got the same checksum before the game has even begun, also get a good host with at least 4mbit upload and a good location (US east coast or central Europe, anything farther to the east or west will result in sheer frustration), get a ts-server to handle the rehosts.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'd consider starting with Count level, but it seems like the best way to roleplay in the setting is to be with the families that everyone wants to be with anyway. Of course if majority want to start small I'll roll with them and go with smaller houses. ;)

Oh crap, I don't have Steam. Is that going to be a problem?

It shouldn't be a problem. I have steam, but the game doesn't use for anything really. As long as we know when to come online and which IP to join it should be fine.

Shouldn't be as far as I know (did some googling, couldn't find anything), just make sure your checksum matches everyone else's. Multiplayer games are launched from the game itself and not from steam. Also ports and all that fun stuff, or vpn client like hamachi.

True!

drigoly and a wooden chair, are you two perhaps interested?

Depends on the time and when it starts (I'm in kings landing the next weeks :D), I'm GMT+1 and no there is no difference between the steam-version and the non-steam version of the game, as long as the checksum is the same.

Depends on the time and when it starts (I'm in kings landing the next weeks :D), I'm GMT+1 and no there is no difference between the steam-version and the non-steam version of the game, as long as the checksum is the same.

That's what we're discussing soon. :) We'll do our best to make a timetable that everyone can agree with. Thankfully most of us seem to be GMT +1 or +2 so it should relatively simple! So if you're interested decide who you want to play as and so forth... as soon as we've got everyone that wants to join we'll discuss on when.

I love this game so much! I would love to be Aegon, trample all of you to dust. I'm GMT +10, but I'm available any time.

Welcome aboard! I hope you will show mercy to us small kings that have no dragons. ;)

Welcome aboard! I hope you will show mercy to us small kings that have no dragons. ;)

I played a few test games, and have made a few observations:

1. I pity House Hoare. Harrens vassals revolt within the month every game, and it takes a bit of effort to reincorporate them into Westeros.

2. The Drakarys event (coolest one in game) resulted in three extinct major houses in one of my games. This is sheer bad luck, but I recommend everyone be a little bit gameyvand put their faction leader or their heir on a boat and go out to sea.

3. I will destroy you all, with Fire and Blood.

I played a few test games, and have made a few observations:

1. I pity House Hoare. Harrens vassals revolt within the month every game, and it takes a bit of effort to reincorporate them into Westeros.

2. The Drakarys event (coolest one in game) resulted in three extinct major houses in one of my games. This is sheer bad luck, but I recommend everyone be a little bit gameyvand put their faction leader or their heir on a boat and go out to sea.

3. I will destroy you all, with Fire and Blood.

I've noted the same pretty much! Sometimes the Hoare's survive and take Orkmont from the Greyjoys and then eventually get ousted as Lords Paramount. The revolt is going to happen no matter what though, since Harren has atrocious stats and everyone hates him. If someone wants to play as an Ironborn they might want to take the Greyjoys or Harlaws... and then suck up to you to the best of their ability. :whip:

Dracarys is a real nuke, yes. As long as you have more than 1/25th of the enemy army you are assured to win every battle and sack any castle you want. If done on the enemy capitol you will easily capture the enemy royals and as such gain total victory.

Unless the game goes immediately a historically (namely dragons become a non-issue) I will probably follow the historical route and surrender... I've no interest in Casterly Rock falling to your hands! Though if we have immense luck we might be able to create an intricate network of alliances between the Reach, Rock and Stormlands with marriages. Namely King Loren will marry Argella (risk for the Durrendon player, but might be necessary) and Argillac marries a Gardener. That way we might get enough troops to get around you since even you can't have Aegon and his dragon everywhere on the map... But that's for when we get this organized. :)

Oh btw... have you checked if marrying Orys to Argella correctly creates House Baratheon? Or does the mod include that event somehow?

Aegon has a decision to legitimise Orys, which I will do immediately. He died in my last game, to the Durrendons. I wiped them out.

And I actually have three dragons at my disposal. Usually I use my sister wives to mop up the Crownlands, but in this game they will stay by their brothers side.

Yeah, we might have difficulties with how to handle House Baratheon since House Durrendon has a player, but we'll figure something out if it becomes an issue. Maybe he'll just continue as Orys if his dynasty is killed off or something.

Yeah, you have Visenya and Rhaenys with dragons too, but I was under the impression/hope they didn't use theirs so much? As in they rarely triggered the event from the decisions.

Yeah, we might have difficulties with how to handle House Baratheon since House Durrendon has a player, but we'll figure something out if it becomes an issue. Maybe he'll just continue as Orys if his dynasty is killed off or something.

Yeah, you have Visenya and Rhaenys with dragons too, but I was under the impression/hope they didn't use theirs so much? As in they rarely triggered the event from the decisions.

They rarely use it in siege, but in battle they go all out. I just have to make sure Rhaenys doesn't kill Maegor.

Alright, we'll wait for people that want to join until sunday. I have my exams on tuesday, but after that we can start playing... so people should start giving out times when they can play.

Personally I can play well... anytime between 8 AM GMT +2 to midnight.

On tuesdays and thursdays I am available from 10 am to 12 p.m (GMT+1), On wednesday I'm not around between 6 and 10 pm. On other days I can generally adapt my schedule.

I will play as House Hightower of Oldtown.

Archived