End of Series? Spoilers for aSoS

Brosephh

Posting here in hopes that some veteran readers browse here.

I remember reading somewhere before I got into the novels, that A Song of Ice and Fire series was originally meant to be three or four books. If either was orignally meant to be the end, I don't understand how it would actually pass as the end. I know aFfC focuses more on the south and not so much on the characters we've been reading about for the first three books, so no closure there, and once you finish reading aSoS, there's still so many unsolved things. What did Coldhands do with Bran? What happened to Rickon? Where does Tryrion go? Does Dany really just give up her goal of conquering Westeros to establish a city in Mereen?

I mean, I GUESS it could be concluded with "Littlefinger is big bad, Arya becomes a wanderer and is forgotten about, Jon lives out his days as Lord Commander of the wall, Sansa is screwed and Bran/Rickon live out their days in mystery", but that seems like a lame ending. It would also seem kind of lame to end on a book that doesn't focus on any of these characters.

Sorry if this is the improper board to post this, but it is discussion about the ending of aSoS, so I'm not sure where else to post it without being hit by spoilers for aFfC and aDoD

Of Course the events of ASOS weren't meant to be the end of the series.

GRRM planned to have a 3 book series originally, but as he wrote he found that he fleshed out the story more and more needing more books. So where the events of ASOS may have originally been planned in the first or second of his three books, he expanded and expanded and now we have a (minimum) seven book epic.

Sorry, but don't you mean aDwD?

Sorry, new to the series and wasn't 100% sure what the title of the fifth book was

i think when it was planned as a 3 book series,all stuff in book3 would have happened in mid-late book 2 .At the point of Grrm writing this book i think he meant the series to be 6 books long.

Of Course the events of ASOS weren't meant to be the end of the series.

GRRM planned to have a 3 book series originally, but as he wrote he found that he fleshed out the story more and more needing more books. So where the events of ASOS may have originally been planned in the first or second of his three books, he expanded and expanded and now we have a (minimum) seven book epic.

Thanks guys, that really clears things up.

Archived