Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

Jaime was 16 and Ned probably had Ice in his hands....not saying he wasn't a good warrior,You'd have to be to wield a blade like Ice in battle,But citing scaring a 16 year old off the throne might not be his best moment as a warrior.

16 and a member of the Kingsguard. Jaime being 16 doesn't diminish the fact that the sight of Ned (probably with Ice) was enough for him to say "here ya go, take it."

I'm not saying that in their primes Jaime doesn't take Ned in single combat. But Ned in his prime was enough for the Kingslayer to step aside without issue.

Ned can be on the list, just no where near the top.

Agree with you there he was a great leader, he would be my choice for King him or Stannis or possibly Jon because he is most like his father/uncle of all his children. He was a good warrior but not "great".

16 and a member of the Kingsguard. Jaime being 16 doesn't diminish the fact that the sight of Ned (probably with Ice) was enough for him to say "here ya go, take it."

I'm not saying that in their primes Jaime doesn't take Ned in single combat. But Ned in his prime was enough for the Kingslayer to step aside without issue.

Hmmmm...Still might not be his best moment as a warrior,though he's the kind to brood on all his famous victories is he,So we'll never know how good he actually was.

Well he obviously would Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark were the heroes of the rebellion, why would he when he grew up with these warriors and knew he was no match. Id say he wins versus ned if he has a valryian blade one on one if he didnt like he did in KL then Ned wins

Hmmmm...Still might not be his best moment as a warrior,though he's the kind to brood on all his famous victories is he,So we'll never know how good he actually was.

True. I just referenced that because one of the moments that always stuck with me was Jaime looking back on that moment. I'm sure a more detailed version of the ToJ would bump Ned up on a lot of people's lists.

He never was the best warrior of his brothers, Brandon was better and Benjen might have been a better warrior as well if we knew more about him, i think the only way we will know is if GRRM does a Roberts Rebellion prequel which i hope he does i wanna see the Tower of Joy fight from Neds POV in more depth.

Is this thread too focused on best swordsman or best killer rather than best warrior? Isn't a great warrior also a leader and tactician?

Were talking about a warrior not a commander to put it simply. However might talk about it while were at it. Best commander- Barristan/Ned/Tywin

Is this thread too focused on best swordsman or best killer rather than best warrior? Isn't a great warrior also a leader and tactician?

I'd say an on field commander will be acceptable too.

If it was tactics I don't think anybody really bested Tywin.

I'd say Tywin was a far better strategist than a field commander/tactician.

Yea hes a better player in the Game of Thrones in my opinion which is strategy. Hes not that good of a military commander tbh he doesnt have that many victories under his belt

Were talking about a warrior not a commander to put it simply.

Sure but we seem to be basing it on who was the best at killing in individual duels, whereas the guy that leads the platoon charge to take out a machine gun nest for instance can also be a great warrior but in a different way. Jaime Lannister is obviously a superb swordsman but is he really a great warrior? I wouldn't go over the top for the arrogant shit.

Of all time : Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy, GRRM himself said they were equal. There are others like Aemon the dragonknight and Daemon Blackfyre but we don't know how good they were.

Alive in Westeros : Sandor Clegane ( I'm 99,997 % sure he's alive ), then probably Areo Hotah, Garlan Tyrell, Brienne and Bronn.

Alive in Essos : Barristan Selmy, then Strong Belwas.

Jaime with both hands would be either above or just below Sandor Clegane, and if Robert Strong is Gregor Clegane then he would be just below Sandor.

Sure but we seem to be basing it on who was the best at killing in individual duels, whereas the guy that leads the platoon charge to take out a machine gun nest for instance can also be a great warrior but in a different way. Jaime Lannister is obviously a superb swordsman but is he really a great warrior? I wouldn't go over the top for the arrogant shit.

Overall military man which in my mind is a combination of swordsmanship and military intelect-tactics and leadership. Jaime is not the best military man by far, warrior and military mind goes to Barristan the Bold

Archived