Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

Both in Westeros and Essos, in the end of ADWD, i find that the best warrior, is an annointed knight: Ser Barristan Selmy.

Overall, it is more dificult to choose among Barristan Selmy, Aemon The Dragon Knight (dead), Arthur Dayne (dead) and Jaime Lannister (with the two hands).

Throw in Daemon and you have your set in my opinion. However, Jaime and Selmy would lose to the others, because they don't have blades of equal merit.

Jaime's troops were surrounded and heavily outnumbered. He did not show any fear of Ned. Jaime actually was waiting to see who the next kign was. He never had any intention of pronouncing himself king.

As for the comment about Ned being in the top 15 of all time, that is ridiculous. He is not even close.

Aemon the Dragonknight, Cregan Stark, Brandon Stark, Daemon, Barristan, Arthur Dayne, Jaime, Robert, Yohn Royce, Garlan, the Hound, the Mountain, Bittersteel, the Smiling Knight, Gwayne Cobrary and Gerold Hightower to name but a few.

The beating Ned received from Yohn Royce is enough to stodp him ever being considered one of the elite.

Yohn Royce was a renowned warrior in his day and Ned was never for tourney, he hated them that must have affected the outcome somewhat. Ned was a always a good warrior but not great

Thats not true, id take Randyl Tarly over Jon at the moment and he has a Valryian sword called heartsbane. Id take Brienne over Jon now that she has Oathkeeper. He is still young. If there is such thing as an expert with fighting with a valryian blade, valyrian steel is lighter so a good swordsman wouldnt need to be an expert in fighting with valryian steel because he wouldn't feel the difference as in stress from weight which slows you down.

My fault, I should have said "one of the few expert swordsman". Did I miss something or when was it stated that Tarly was fine swordsman?

Jon is very underrated. Brienne and Loras aren't much older and people here rate them among the best. What makes Loras better then Jon? He was stomped by Brienne, who barely beat a starved and chained Jaime, eventhough later fought with a sword he never used before.

Jon dueled with Mance who was the best of the NW and a expierenced warrior. I doubt that anyone besides Areo Hotah, Robert Strong, the Hound and Barristan could have beat him during ADWD. Jon could be wrong, but he was sure with Longclaw he would have the upper hand.

Greater than both Aemon the Dragonknight and Ulrick Dayne, the Sword of the Morning.

Yeah, said so, but Daemon still battled with a KG member for over an hour until he gained upperhand. I doubt Corbray was better then Aemon or Cregan Stark (Aemon stated Cregan was the best swordsman he ever fought with).

My fault, I should have said "one of the few expert swordsman". Did I miss something or when was it stated that Tarly was fine swordsman?

Jon is very underrated. Brienne and Loras aren't much older and people here rate them among the best. What makes Loras better then Jon? He was stomped by Brienne, who barely beat a starved and chained Jaime, eventhough later fought with a sword he never used before.

Jon dueled with Mance who was the best of the NW and a expierenced warrior. I doubt that anyone besides Areo Hotah, Robert Strong, the Hound and Barristan could have beat him during ADWD. Jon could be wrong, but he was sure with Longclaw he would have the upper hand.

Yeah, said so, but Daemon still battled with a KG member for over an hour until he gained upperhand. I doubt Corbray was better then Aemon or Cregan Stark (Aemon stated Cregan was the best swordsman he ever fought with).

Tarly and Brienne are surely better than him but Loras id say know hes really good with a lance not so much swords

Yohn Royce was a renowned warrior in his day and Ned was never for tourney, he hated them that must have affected the outcome somewhat. Ned was a always a good warrior but not great

Yes Yohn was renowned, but not up there with the legendary warriors like Dayne or Selmy. If Royce could give Ned a sound thrashing, tournament or not, then Ned cannot be placed with the other greats. This is before we accept Martin's words that he was an average swordsman or Brandon being the best out of the Stark boys and leaving the possibility for Benjen to be second.

Loras was never stomped by Brienne she bent the rules to win one tournament match against him. Loras is very good, not as good as Jaime was at the same age, but still immensely talented. I think Loras and Garlan would definitely beat Jon.

Yes Yohn was renowned, but not up there with the legendary warriors like Dayne or Selmy. If Royce could give Ned a sound thrashing, tournament or not, then Ned cannot be placed with the other greats. This is before we accept Martin's words that he was an average swordsman or Brandon being the best out of the Stark boys and leaving the possibility for Benjen to be second.

Loras was never stomped by Brienne she bent the rules to win one tournament match against him. Loras is very good, not as good as Jaime was at the same age, but still immensely talented. I think Loras and Garlan would definitely beat Jon.

Exactly what ive been saying about Ned hes a great leader but a good-to average warrior depending on who you ask. Loras and Garlan would probly beat Jon, Loras vs Jon sword duel would be sick in guessing Jon would win that one cause Loras is kind of overated as a swordsman, hes the best lance in Westeros though ill give him that

Tarly and Brienne are surely better than him but Loras id say know hes really good with a lance not so much swords

Tarly? Maybe I missed something, but IIRC Tarly was described as a great commander and not as a great warrior?

Yeah I aggree with you, Brienne is probably better then Jon. Jon is still very young and Brienne is freakish huge, keep that in mind. Loras is surely overrated, Brienne defeated him fair and square and I don`t think Brienne is on Mance/Qhorin level (Best fighters of the NW), she didn`t really shine against Jaime who was starved, had no armour (He is a knight afterall), fought with a sword he never used before, while Brienne was in pretty good condition.

Tarly? Maybe I missed something, but IIRC Tarly was described as a great commander and not as a great warrior?

Yeah I aggree with you, Brienne is probably better then Jon. Jon is still very young and Brienne is freakish huge, keep that in mind. Loras is surely overrated, Brienne defeated him fair and square and I don`t think Brienne is on Mance/Qhorin level (Best fighters of the NW), she didn`t really shine against Jaime who was starved, had no armour (He is a knight afterall), fought with a sword he never used before, while Brienne was in pretty good condition.

Tarly is considered to be one of the best soldiers in Westeros which means swordsmanship and tactics. He defeated the demon of the trident Robort Baratheon at the battle of Ashford, by the way that was the only defeat Bob suffered.

At Ashford he personally killed Lord Cafferen and sent his head to King Aerys. The fact that he's willing to lead from the front means he's a pretty capable fighter.

I really wish we had more info about the time period of the first Blackfyre rebellion because it seems like they were absolutely loaded with badasses back then. Daemon Blackfyre, Gwayne Corbray and Bittersteel would probably have to be in anyone's top ten list and then there's also Bloodraven, Ulrick Dayne, Fireball and Gormon Peake. Not to mention the Dragonknight lived only a few years earlier.

I saw a quote once, I can't remember who said it. It said that no two people have ever read the same book. I believe that's why I value Ned as a fighter more than most people do. IMO, he was a humble man who never touted himself or boasted about his great duels. This is why I believe that people don't give him, or any Northern warrior, enough credit. If you compare this with Jaime, who takes every chance he can to compare himself to others, it's like day and night. The one opininon, granted it was from the show, about Ned's skill as a fighter came from most people's top ranked warrior, Barristan the Bold.

About not meeting on the Trident:

Ned: "The widow's life wouldn't suit my wife."

BtB: "Don't be modest, you cut down a dozen great knights on the battlefield."

Ned: "My father said you were the best he's ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat."

I'll take Barristan the Bold's opinion on Ned's skill as a warrior over Sansa's every day of the week.

I saw a quote once, I can't remember who said it. It said that no two people have ever read the same book. I believe that's why I value Ned as a fighter more than most people do. IMO, he was a humble man who never touted himself or boasted about his great duels. This is why I believe that people don't give him, or any Northern warrior, enough credit. If you compare this with Jaime, who takes every chance he can to compare himself to others, it's like day and night. The one opininon, granted it was from the show, about Ned's skill as a fighter came from most people's top ranked warrior, Barristan the Bold.

Ned: "My father said you were the best he's ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat."

I'll take Barristan the Bold's opinion on Ned's skill as a warrior over Sansa's every day of the week.

Maybe you should take Martin's opinion of warriors first. He knows them better than us. Jaime is one of the best in the entire history of Westeros. Ned is an average fighter.

I maybe wrong, but I don't think your quote is from the books. TV Show Ned does seem to have been one of the best around, but we are not discussing TV Ned.

I believe that's a quote from the tv series. I don't think Barristan says that in the book.

Archived