The Realm will be best off with Stannis as King

DamonPrinc3

It was more he forced it upon them for his own gain than he "installed" it "for" the Greeks.

But it worked better than whatever they were doing until then,stopped all the bloody in fighting and assassinations too.

Made the Greek Empire one of the most prosperous in the world,at least for some time...Until the Macedonian Wars more or less destroyed them.

he is the best option Westeros has at this time , so I agree.

he is actually the only one who sees being king as a duty and not just a right. and he is the king who cared.

he is very just , reasonable and sees people's worth , he is a good judge of character and unlike many may think he is capable of forgiveness and compromise when it is needed.

he is righteous man and will clean the kings landing from the likes of LF and Varys.

he is the man of the hard time and Westeros is in a hard time now .

Try telling that to a burn victim.

As they have also expirienced crucifiction and crow cages, so they could compare?

No one is arguing that burning to death isn't painful, but people constantly accuse Stannis of doing to everyone willy nilly. He does it as execution for criminals, no more.

where is E-ro?....a Stannis thread without him has no reason to be :D

We haven't burned enough people to bring him back! Quickly! Round up the heretics!

Nah, I think he'd be the best for the time being... Certainly not the best ever, mind you, but given that the Kingdom is run by a council made up of scum that's scummier than your average scumbag, White Walkers are about to invade, magic is coming back, and most of all, the biggest, badddest winter in recent history is on its way to an impoverished, war-torn realm. You need the hardest man possible on the IT to get through it. Yes, some criminals may get burnified, and sure, the religious institution won't take kindly to a R'hllorite King... But it's better than the alternative.

Stannis inspires men like Davos, but there are more men like Littlefinger who would kill his firstborn for title in the seven kingdoms. Men who are only inspired by power and gold, men who could give a darn about justice. Stannis would have a problem leading men such as them.

Correct me if I'm wrong (no, really!), but hasn't he only burned convicted criminals so far? Like I said, it's not a good method of execution, but there's still a difference between that and straight-out sacrificing otherwise innocent people.

I was referring to his willingness to sacrifice his nephew to stop the darkness. He had no idea what the darkness was but was still willing to do it because Melisandre said it was the thing to do.

Where does one draw the line though? Starving men who ate a dead comrade? A Hand who covertly offers a rival king a marriage treaty? A lord who refused to serve after Stannis burnt his gods?

This man is worse than a religious fanatic- he's an opportunist who has no problems crushing other faiths while having no convictions of his own. The very fact that he does not believe in the Red God makes him much worse than Aeron or the High Septon- they at least believe what they preach.

Here, here! At least Melisandre believes the visions she sees. Stannis doesn't but is willing to kill anyway because it might get him the throne. By his own words, he is willing to let thousands die and do whatever it takes in order to sit on the throne. That is the worse example of what a king is, if you ask me.

The realm will be best off if they dissolve kingdoms altogether and the common people form up in anarcho-syndicalist communes.

We have real-world historical examples of jumps from pre-industrial feudalism to communism being terrible for everyone involved. So no.

Stannis let Melissandre burn anyone who directly challenged the Lord of Light despite not believing himself. His wife is obviously nuts yet he does nothing to curb her influence. His only offspring is a sweet but disfigured girl who no one would want to marry even if she was the heir apparent.

Stannis's reign would be brutal and tumultuous as he had to deal with all the Lords who don't like him (which is pretty much all of them) and once he died there would be another civil war to decide who would get the throne next.

We have real-world historical examples of jumps from pre-industrial feudalism to communism being terrible for everyone involved. So no.

I think you didn't recognize a classic

. For one reason or another, Monty Python's work pop out quite often when discussing ASOIAF.

1. He has seen the darkness in the flames ...

2. Stannis is a beliver (in his own way) since ASoS ...

Actually I'll let him speak for himself and reply to you:

If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark. Sacrifice is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady."

I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King' Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.

The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies... a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone... she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? He ground his teeth.

Stannis didn't see anything Melisandre did and Stannis didn't dare disregard her.

Let's establish that Stannis is terrible at any form of compromise or Diplomacy, it's just who he is. Once he sits on the Iron Throne, how is he going to deal with people like LF or the Tyrells? The best he could hope for is to fight them and win.

Yes Stannis would make the best King, Edric and Gendry would make good ones too.

Okay, Edric I get, he was raised as a Noble bastard and has Robert's ability to inspire loyalty and love, but Gendry? He is just some Blacksmith's apprentice.

"Actually I'll let him speak for himself and reply to you:"

it is funny how Stannis haters don't have any idea about Stannis, maybe that's why they hate him , lack of information?! :dunno:

"If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark. Sacrifice is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady.""

what does that bold part suppose to mean? seriously.

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King' Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

I stopped believing in Gods ,oh wait a minute ! he said gods and not god. it is about the seven and not about Rhllor , though in that time he didn't believe in him too but the sentence you have brought is irrelevant.

"The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies... a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone... she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? He ground his teeth. "

this quotes shows that he actually believes enough to not dare to disregard her. he is not a fanatical believer but he has seen the power of Rhllor and can not ignore it. he can not risk the whole Westeros. it shows how responsible he actually is . yes he maybe wrong on this matter but it is not his fault , his intention is definitely good.

"Stannis didn't see anything Melisandre did and Stannis didn't dare disregard her."

(“It is the great battle His Grace is speaking of,” said a woman’s voice, rich with the accents of the east. Melisandre stood at the door in her red silks and shimmering satins, holding a covered silver dish in her hands. “These little wars are no more than a scuffle of children before what is to come. The one whose name may not be spoken is marshaling his power, Davos Seaworth, a power fell and evil and strong beyond measure. Soon comes the cold, and the night that never ends.” She placed the silver dish on the Painted Table. “Unless true men find the courage to fight it. Men whose hearts are fire.”

Stannis stared at the silver dish. “She has shown it to me, Lord Davos. In the flames.”

“You saw it, sire?” It was not like Stannis Baratheon to lie about such a thing.)

&

(“Your Grace,” said Davos, “the cost. .

“I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning... burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?”)

in the end , he may not be a fanatical red god believer but he has seen enough from him to not simply ignore him , that's why for half of ASOS he was struggling to make the right decision , and only after enough proof (death of all usurpers) he agreed to consider sacrificing Edric to save Westeros.

Archived