The Realm will be best off with Stannis as King

DamonPrinc3

Let's establish that Stannis is terrible at any form of compromise or Diplomacy, it's just who he is. Once he sits on the Iron Throne, how is he going to deal with people like LF or the Tyrells? The best he could hope for is to fight them and win.

deal with LF ? there would be no deal with the likes of LF and Varys . their heads would be on the spikes. as King Bob should had done in the first place.

and the Tyrells , I really don't see Stannis doing something illogical about them , he would have simply got a long with them. (before the war of the five kings)

but now , Stannis would probably replaces them with the Florents.

he is capable of compromise when it is necessary , he has evolved a lot since ACOK.

Stannis is, brave, a born leader. But unfortuanately he has flaws, mainly dealing with understanding and compassion. It;'s his way or the highway. He has his own type of madness and it revolves around a faulty since of uprightness. (thinking evrything he does is right). people usually as a whole don't respond well to that. Dany and Jon on the other hand dont seem to show these type of elements even though they are closed to your mentioned blood line. (Interesting point) All of these people are related.

I think that Stannis is the best candidate for what is ahead, with winter and the Others making an impact. He is a winter king, in many ways. Winter is harsh, cold, cruel and it requires leaders that can make the hard decisions when forced to. I think that he in many ways shares "traits" that are generally attributed to the northmen in general. With that said however I do not know whether he is the king best suited for peace or during the long summers, but who knows.

Let's establish that Stannis is terrible at any form of compromise or Diplomacy, it's just who he is. Once he sits on the Iron Throne, how is he going to deal with people like LF or the Tyrells? The best he could hope for is to fight them and win.

Okay, Edric I get, he was raised as a Noble bastard and has Robert's ability to inspire loyalty and love, but Gendry? He is just some Blacksmith's apprentice.

Well he's not insane and he has lived with the smallfolk so he kind of understands them.

I do think Stannis is a good choice for now. Im guessing characters like Dany just need more experience.

This is true and generally one of the most compelling reasons of why I would take a guy like Stannis over Dany or Jon for king as of right now, he has the experience needed. Whether hated or respected the Lords and small folk alike know about him and he has proven his worth. Dany especially is at an disadvantage, not being that familiar with Westerosi politics etc.

As they have also expirienced crucifiction and crow cages, so they could compare?

No one is arguing that burning to death isn't painful, but people constantly accuse Stannis of doing to everyone willy nilly. He does it as execution for criminals, no more.

Mel would have burned Edric Storm and Mance Rayder's baby if people hadn't intervened. And also what had Mance (Rattleshirt) done to be labled a criminal? Oh that's right it was all about burning a kings blood to help his cause with the red god.

Mel would have burned Edric Storm and Mance Rayder's baby if people hadn't intervened. And also what had Mance (Rattleshirt) done to be labled a criminal? Oh that's right it was all about burning a kings blood to help his cause with the red god.

LOL , Mance was not only a deserter of the nights watch (which is punishable by death) but he was also the enemy of the realm , he was attacking the Wall (again punishable by death).

if by "to help his cause" you mean saving the realm , yes he was going to do it but only because he was convinced it was the only way. but as you know when Davos showed him another way (the wall) he took it , he marched thousands of miles and saved the nights watch from total destruction again to save the realm .

LOL , Mance was not only a deserter of the nights watch (which is punishable by death) but he was also the enemy of the realm , he was attacking the Wall (again punishable by death).

if by "to help his cause" you mean saving the realm , yes he was going to do it but only because he was convinced it was the only way. but as you know when Davos showed him another way (the wall) he took it , he marched thousands of miles and saved the nights watch from total destruction again to save the realm .

Yeah, Mance should have just stayed beyond the wall. Its not like that would result in thousands of new wights or anything. And yes I believe everything Stannis does is about helping HIS OWN cause. Like I have said before if all Stannis cared about was what was best for the realm, he would have joined causes with Renly and the Reach. They could have instantly put and end to the wot5k and brought peace to the kingdom. But Stannis wants the throne for himself. Yeah its not like he wanted the castles and people of the north to help his cause. Funny how he only went to the wall when it was really a last option. He wasn't to worried about taking his army to aid the wall when he attacked KL and got his ass kicked.

She placed the silver dish on the Painted Table. “Unless true men find the courage to fight it. Men whose hearts are fire.”

Stannis stared at the silver dish. “She has shown it to me, Lord Davos. In the flames.”

“You saw it, sire?” It was not like Stannis Baratheon to lie about such a thing.)

You are correct. I didn't remember him seeing anything in the flames. In fact I didn't remember this passage at all so I went to read on and found:

"With mine own eyes. After the battle, when I was lost to despair, the Lady Melisandre bid me gaze into the hearthfire. The chimney was drawing strongly, and bits of ash were rising from the fire. I stared at them, feeling half a fool, but she bid me look deeper, and . . . the ashes were white, rising in the updraft, yet all at once it seemed as if they were falling. Snow, I thought.

"It means that the battle is begun," said Melisandre. "The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man's hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised,

Another vision pointing to Jon. Interesting.

"Yeah, Mance should have just stayed beyond the wall. Its not like that would result in thousands of new wights or anything."

I don't know what he should have done , what I know is , he was a traitor because he had deserted the NW and he was attacking the wall . Stannis and the NW are Westerosi , they don't give a rat ass about the foreigners like wildlings and why should they? so , what Stannis did was lawful .

"And yes I believe everything Stannis does is about helping HIS OWN cause. Like I have said before if all Stannis cared about was what was best for the realm, he would have joined causes with Renly and the Reach. They could have instantly put and end to the wot5k and brought peace to the kingdom. But Stannis wants the throne for himself."

yes , he should have joined the honorable amazing saint Renly to smash the evil from the holy land ... blah blah blah .... yes I've heard that myth before but you know Renly was a smiling thug who didn't give a shit about the realm or its people , he was a power hungry man who taught he could become king by his big army. he was a poppet to the Tyrells , they were using him to gain more power , their cause was about ambitious and not the good of the realm.

Renly was a traitor and was dealt with accordingly . and Stannis believes he is a right man for the job , multiple times he talks about bringing justice , punishing traitors , cleaning KL he sees it as his duty , he tries to get the throne to do his duty , so why would he hand over the throne to those that not only have no rights to have it but also are bunch of ambitious and power hungry people?!

"Yeah its not like he wanted the castles and people of the north to help his cause. Funny how he only went to the wall when it was really a last option. He wasn't to worried about taking his army to aid the wall when he attacked KL and got his ass kicked."

he save the northmen from the wildlings and now fighting to free the north , of course he wants them to join him in return , he needs them , he needs as many as he can find because there is a great battle ahead , the war that the future of Westeros is depends on it. and I don't see any reason why it is a bad thing ! he saved them and they should help him in return.

when he attacked KL there was no need for him to go to the wall the Wildlings attacked only after the ACOK and even in ASOS he only became aware of that letter after Davos read it to him .

he had other options , options that didn't involve marching thousands of miles to the icy north to face a wildlings army 20 times his number in hope the northmen may help him. No , he went there because it was the right thing to do.

You are correct. I didn't remember him seeing anything in the flames. In fact I didn't remember this passage at all so I went to read on and found:

"With mine own eyes. After the battle, when I was lost to despair, the Lady Melisandre bid me gaze into the hearthfire. The chimney was drawing strongly, and bits of ash were rising from the fire. I stared at them, feeling half a fool, but she bid me look deeper, and . . . the ashes were white, rising in the updraft, yet all at once it seemed as if they were falling. Snow, I thought.

"It means that the battle is begun," said Melisandre. "The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man's hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised,

Another vision pointing to Jon. Interesting.

good catch.

Yeah, Mance should have just stayed beyond the wall. Its not like that would result in thousands of new wights or anything. And yes I believe everything Stannis does is about helping HIS OWN cause. Like I have said before if all Stannis cared about was what was best for the realm, he would have joined causes with Renly and the Reach. They could have instantly put and end to the wot5k and brought peace to the kingdom. But Stannis wants the throne for himself. Yeah its not like he wanted the castles and people of the north to help his cause. Funny how he only went to the wall when it was really a last option. He wasn't to worried about taking his army to aid the wall when he attacked KL and got his ass kicked.

LOL! When I started reading this, I didn't catch the sarcasm at first. I so agree with you. King Death Pyre needs a taste of his own medicine. I don't get how people can call him sane with his wife and child shut away with a freaky jester and a Red Priestess running the show. Aerys rebranded Baratheon.

yes , he should have joined the honorable amazing saint Renly to smash the evil from the holy land ... blah blah blah ....

Wouldn't ending the civil war quickly and preparing for the incoming invasion of the one true enemy have been the wisest course of action?

he had other options

No, he didn't.

Well yes, Stannis is a man of honor. Also he's experienced and brave. He has only a few weaknesses, but they can be fateful to him.

First, he's not sympathetic nor pleasant. Not at all.

Second, he's manipulated by Melisandre. That woman can make him do anything she likes.

Lastly, if he wins the Iron Throne, all folk must give up on their faith and start to worship R'hllor. That's just not cool.

Wouldn't ending the civil war quickly and preparing for the incoming invasion of the one true enemy have been the wisest course of action?

how about both Stannis and Renly put off their crowns and take the black so Joffery can rule in peace?!! and Robb joins them in the way north , here three great lords added to the nights watch! good idea , right?

it is not about the civil war , it is about who has the right to have it . Stannis sees himself as the rightful heir , he sees it as a duty to take the throne and rule. he is doing what he thinks is best for the realm.

No, he didn't.

he could have stayed at DragonStone or Storms End , he could have gone to the free cities or ....

Where does one get the idea that Stannis is a man of honour? A man of honour wouldn't have fled KL leaving Robert and Renly at the Lannister's mercy, nor would a man of honour consider burning a child alive.

Eta, replying to:

E

Well yes, Stannis is a man of honor. Also he's experienced and brave. He has only a few weaknesses, but they can be fateful to him.

First, he's not sympathetic nor pleasant. Not at all.

Second, he's manipulated by Melisandre. That woman can make him do anything she likes.

Lastly, if he wins the Iron Throne, all folk must give up on their faith and start to worship R'hllor. That's just not cool.

Where does one get the idea that Stannis is a man of honour? A man of honour wouldn't have fled KL leaving Robert and Renly at the Lannister's mercy, nor would a man of honour consider burning a child alive.

Stannis is not, nor has ever been a perfect man or ruler. But compared with the other choices for rulers, he looks like a damn saint.

Archived