The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Michelle is not the beauty Cat is supposed to be, and she's quite older than her. Sean Bean looked exactly like Ned was supposed to look, while Michelle looked like a 50 year old Cat.

But it's kind of pointless. She was brilliant as her. The same happens with Lena as Cersei.

I actually prefer the not-so-stunning show Cat. There's so many beautiful characters (ladies in particular) in the books and on the show and Catelyn's looks are pretty irrelevant to the story and her character.

Show Littlefinger reminds me of Once Upon A Time's Rumpelstiltskin, only Rumpel's actor does a much better job.

Ya, but does Rumpelstiltskin tell his most dangerous enemies his plans with crazy threatening music?! Muhuhahahaha *practices batman voice and sandpapers throat*

Ya, but does Rumpelstiltskin tell his most dangerous enemies his plans with crazy threatening music?! Muhuhahahaha *practices batman voice and sandpapers throat*

Yeah, I know, season 1 Littlefinger acted like a slimy weasel and then it got worse and worse. I had never read the books and the minute Littlefinger told Ned who he was I knew he was gonna betray him.

I actually prefer the not-so-stunning show Cat. There's so many beautiful characters (ladies in particular) in the books and on the show and Catelyn's looks are pretty irrelevant to the story and her character.

Catelyn's looks are literally the cause of the WO5K if you look at it a certain way.

Catelyn's beauty is a huge factor in Littlefinger's childhood infactuation with her, infactuation which grew to obsession, which in turn is the root of Littlefinger's psychological damage i.e. need for 'chaos'. No Littlefinger, no WO5K.

Also her beauty is important in terms of Sansa's arc. Sansa's resemblance to Catelyn, and hence beauty, drives so much of her plot (in particular her interaction with LF).

Its not really believable that Petyr would be driven to obsession over a moderately good looking, older woman. Also Michelle and Sophie don't look much alike which is a bit of a plot hole in the show.

I personally prefer Catelyn to be beautiful for several reasons. 1) It adds to the idea of her character as more than just a drab matronly woman and I think this is really important to Catelyn. She's a mother, but she's so much more. Show!Catelyn is just a mother. 2) The fact that Catelyn doesn't dwell on her looks much in her own chapters just adds to the fact that she is not a vain person in the least and sees more worth in people than their physical beauty, unlike a certain king's mother we know of.

Catelyn's looks are literally the cause of the WO5K if you look at it a certain way.

Catelyn's beauty is a huge factor in Littlefinger's childhood infactuation with her, infactuation which grew to obsession, which in turn is the root of Littlefinger's psychological damage i.e. need for 'chaos'. No Littlefinger, no WO5K.

Also her beauty is important in terms of Sansa's arc. Sansa's resemblance to Catelyn, and hence beauty, drives so much of her plot (in particular her interaction with LF).

Its not really believable that Petyr would be driven to obsession over a moderately good looking, older woman. Also Michelle and Sophie don't look much alike which is a bit of a plot hole in the show.

I personally prefer Catelyn to be beautiful for several reasons. 1) It adds to the idea of her character as more than just a drab matronly woman and I think this is really important to Catelyn. She's a mother, but she's so much more. Show!Catelyn is just a mother. 2) The fact that Catelyn doesn't dwell on her looks much in her own chapters just adds to the fact that she is not a vain person in the least and sees more worth in people than their physical beauty, unlike a certain king's mother we know of.

It is so very weird to me that we have these discussions about actresses (who become actresses in part because they are the most beautiful people) being insufficiently beautiful to portray medieval nobility (who are not selected for beauty). Lena and Michelle are far more beautiful than your average "beautiful" medieval noblewoman who probably had a less lovely face, iffy proportions, aged poorly especially after multiple pregnancies, bad teeth, bad skin, and unkempt hair.

Beyond that, Littlefinger wasn't obsessed with Catelyn because she was the most beautiful woman in the world. He ran high class brothels - he had plenty of access to beautiful women. Littlefinger was obsessed with Catelyn because she had a powerful name, rich family, noble demeanor, intelligence, beauty, and was kind to him. A childhood crush was elevated to an adult obsession because she was unobtainable, not because she was an extraordinary beauty.

I really don't think the kinds of expectations you have could be satisfied by any show. Maybe with an infinite budget, a Tardis, and a program to breed actresses to spec.

It is so very weird to me that we have these discussions about actresses (who become actresses in part because they are the most beautiful people) being insufficiently beautiful to portray medieval nobility (who are not selected for beauty). Lena and Michelle are far more beautiful than your average "beautiful" medieval noblewoman who probably had a less lovely face, iffy proportions, aged poorly especially after multiple pregnancies, bad teeth, bad skin, and unkempt hair.

Beyond that, Littlefinger wasn't obsessed with Catelyn because she was the most beautiful woman in the world. He ran high class brothels - he had plenty of access to beautiful women. Littlefinger was obsessed with Catelyn because she had a powerful name, rich family, noble demeanor, intelligence, beauty, and was kind to him. A childhood crush was elevated to an adult obsession because she was unobtainable, not because she was an extraordinary beauty.

I really don't think the kinds of expectations you have could be satisfied by any show. Maybe with an infinite budget, a Tardis, and a program to breed actresses to spec.

Matin draws inspiraton from the medieval world, but his world is not the medieval world. And one of the things he decided to do different is that in his universe people actually care about hygiene (atleast the highborn) and don't just perfume themselves and take baths once a year. As such beautiful highborn ladies are not really out of the question.

@aje12

I don't agree that her looks were the cause of the war, but I do agree on your other points. Michelle is an amazing actress though, and I feel like she could have done a great job if she would get stronger material.

Matin draws inspiraton from the medieval world, but his world is not the medieval world. And one of the things he decided to do different is that in his universe people actually care about hygiene (atleast the highborn) and don't just perfume themselves and take baths once a year. As such beautiful highborn ladies are not really out of the question.

@aje12

I don't agree that her looks were the cause of the war, but I do agree on your other points. Michelle is an amazing actress though, and I feel like she could have done a great job if she would get stronger material.

She is truly an amazing actress. I remember waiting for season three to air I was hoping so badly that they would give her a lot of in character scenes (seeing as its her last season). How dissappointed was I.

Archived