The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Personally I thought she did good in the trial scene and the Tyrion breakup scene. i don't really see what else she could have done in her other scenes to be ~better~ though

Well one thing that comes to mind is when she said "im Shae the funny whore"

Oh she was funny alright, just not for the right reasons

The problem with Sibel is the same that Penélope Cruz has, for example. They are terrific actresses when they have to speak in their native language. When they have to speak English, things change. I'd add Marion Cotillard here as well, although she's quite good speaking English, she's far better in French.

I think she is a fine actress. Real reasons for disliking certain actors usually lies somewhwere else then in the actors abilities. Usually it is weak writing. In GOT case it is:

1. Difference from the books - just check how many times Lena H. was criticized for her portrayal before majority of fandom accepted showCersie and bookCersie are different characters

2. Accent - sooo many times i heard English native speakers complain about accents in the shows, for non-native speaker it is irrelevant. Native speaker might argue it is part of actors skill set, that might be true, but since GOT is fantasy series and Shae is from different continent, this accent stuff should not cloud people´s judgment about actress acting ability.

3. People do not like a character or his/her storyline and blame an actor for it - Jon and Dany are typical examples. Their actors are liked when their storylines are liked. When people do not like their storyline, there are always loud complaints about how bad Emilia and Kit are as actors. Emila really is not worse actress then she was in the season 1, and Kit really wasnt so much better actor in the season 4 then he was in the previous seasons.

She can act. She's brilliant in German dramas like "Gegen die Wand" and has won awards.

Sibel admitted before season 2 or was it 3, she struggled with English for the show.

It's odd, off set Red Carpet, other places, she seems to speak fine English , so it's a puzzle.

She seemed awful in season 1, not much better in season 2 up to Blackwater where she was good.

Season's three and four she sometimes dropped off, but was vastly improved, as mentioned, good in the trial scene.

Very uneven on the show for an award winning actress.

I thought the strangest development in casting was Esmé Bianco.

In season 1 seemed Ros was just a minor actress who would do nudity for the sexplanation scenes.

Tho I noticed Bianco seemed no amateur.

A character who was a composite of several secondarys in the book.

Later seasons 2 to 3 she was one of the over looked actors, given more of a speaking role, she really surprised me, I was sad to see her go.

Miscasts:

One that I didn't like at first was Asha/Yara but I think she plays the part pretty well.

I agree with some that the actor for Mance is played by a great actor but it's just miscast.

And I may get some hate for this but Bran kind of irks me.

Awesomeness:

Ingrid - I think she has been perfect for the role

Barristan - Even though the show hasn't given him his book scenes per se, its an awesome casting

Viserys - Before his pot o' gold, awesome casting

All of the Tyrells

Arya

Jaime

Varys

Littlefinger

Joffery

I feel like after reading through all of these forums, I'm the only one that likes Emilia and the character of Daenerys. Yeah her storylines in Season 2 and 4 were butchered and a snooze fest, but Emilia is really not the worst actress I've seen. Yeah maybe it was a bit silly for her to be nominated for that Emmy instead of Michelle Fairley, but her final scene in Astapor was still great.

I feel like after reading through all of these forums, I'm the only one that likes Emilia and the character of Daenerys. Yeah her storylines in Season 2 and 4 were butchered and a snooze fest, but Emilia is really not the worst actress I've seen. Yeah maybe it was a bit silly for her to be nominated for that Emmy instead of Michelle Fairley, but her final scene in Astapor was still great.

I love Emilia/Dany.

I'm not a fan of her acting, but I actually thought that Dany's story was not that bad in Season 4. Meereen looked cool, Joel Fry was great, Dany had good scenes in episodes 6 and 10, etc. It was IMO miles better than her story in Season 2.

I'm not a fan of her acting, but I actually thought that Dany's story was not that bad in Season 4. Meereen looked cool, Joel Fry was great, Dany had good scenes in episodes 6 and 10, etc. It was IMO miles better than her story in Season 2.

I thought her 'ultimatum speech' before Meereen was spot on. As many have noted , for some reason, Emilia seems a different actress when speaking High Valyrian.

It's noticeable that Emilia responds to the role when the dialog is good.

She seemed the perfect Dany in season 1.

Fine in episodes 1 and 2 of season 2, where she has a few lines of Dothraki, come to think of it.

Did not respond well to some poor dialog in season 2.

A different actress in season 3, I think her best episode of the show was Dracarys in season 3. She has an odd moment of other worldly delivery in Second Sons , "can't afford to lose to a girl", and detached demeanor in the episode that surprised me. Rest of season 3 was fine too.

S4 episodes 3-`10 just did not have much for her to do , she responded well enough to the dialog, but nothing had 'zinger' for her to latch on to.

Things would improve if she spoke High Valyrian more often!

Worst, by far Talisa, for someone from Volantis, she succeeds in looking as un-Valyrian as possible. Also it is very hard for me to wrap my head around why Salladhor Saan and Xharo Xoan Dhaxos are black. Salla hasn't even been changed from a Lyseni so doesn't even make sense.

I have no problem with racial diversity.

I also have no problem with the show toning some of the more unrealistic elements down to appeal to a wider audience.

In fact, racial diversity adds to the ASOIAF world, whether GRRM specified it or not.

You're not the only one. In fact, the theory that the fandom's response to the storyline affects the reception the actors get is spot on IMO.

I also have no problem with the show toning some of the more unrealistic elements down to appeal to a wider audience.

It's stupid when it detracts from the show, casting someone who fits the darker Dornish phenotype as someone from an area with a Valyrian phenotype makes no sense, kinda like casting John Wayne to play Genghis Khan.

It's stupid when it detracts from the show, casting someone who fits the darker Dornish phenotype as someone from an area with a Valyrian phenotype makes no sense, kinda like casting John Wayne to play Genghis Khan.

It's never specified in the show what Lyseni look like, so they had a chance to cast a black guy as Saan and they took it. I actually applaud them for that.

Seriously, no one who hasn't studied the books in depth would know or care. And even most of those people who have studied the books probably don't give a damn, either. I certainly don't. Racial purity is not something I particularly care about. I care about whether the actor can do a good job. And so far, I've seen no reason to complain.

Archived