The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

This is a very subjective thread but I am interested in what peoples' views are on the best and worst casting decisions.

On the whole I think the casting has been very strong but here's my two cents for what its worth (not a lot).

By far I think the best casting decision was Charles Dance as Tywin. Dance commands every scene he is in. Your eye is drawn to him. And he doesn't seem to do that much!

The series adaption and Dance's portrayal has added (in my view) extra layers to the character of Tywin.

I actually have two characters whom I feel have been miscast but for different reasons.

Firstly, Cersei; From the word go I thought it was a mistake to cast Lena Headey as Cersei. I like Lena Headey but she seems far removed from the character of Cersei both in looks and in the way that she is portraying her.

I always pictured Cersei as wildfire embodied. Spontaneous, spiteful and the like. I don't get this from Lena's acting but this is my view. I would like to know what you think.

My second character whom I think has been miscast is Ser Jorah but for very different reasons. I think Iain Glenn has done sterling work, so much so that TV Ser Jorah is far removed from book Jorah. Turning a relative dour character into a charismatic hero.

This totally disrupts the dynamic in the relationship between himself and Dany. How will this play out?

Over to you.

I absolutely love Lena Heady as Cersei! Other greats are: Masie Williams as Arya, Charles Dance as Tywin, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Sophie Turner as Sansa, Rory McCann as the Hound, Jack Gleeson as Joffery, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime. Overall, I think that most of the actors are great, but this group really stands out to me.

Best casting: Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister. Just spectacularly well chosen. Dance has usurped the book character for me. I can't read anything he says in the book without hearing Dance's voice in my head.

Worst casting: Difficult to say. I mean, I don't really like Shae's actress, but then I don't really like the changes they've made to Shae...even as I didn't really like the original Shae. Its not easy to separate the actress from all of that.

I think Lena Headey is great as Cersei, (Book Spoilers) is was only Book 4 onwards when she grew more and more like wildfire. The other books only hinted at what she would become; so far the TV Cersei IMO is pretty faithful.

VARYS is the best choice by far. NED STARK, TYRION, ROBERT are all awesome too.

I think the worst is TALYSA or TALISA or whatever..I just find it weird that she is from across the Narrow Sea and is the ONLY foreign character without a different accent (Except maybe Varys or Illyrio - but they lived very close to Westeros). The character makes me feel less for Robb's cause than i did in the books.

I think Lena Headey is great as Cersei, (Book Spoilers) is was only Book 4 onwards when she grew more and more like wildfire. The other books only hinted at what she would become; so far the TV Cersei IMO is pretty faithful.

I suspect, if they do it right, Cersei will start to become more and more unhinged after PW. In particular when Qyburn starts working for her.

I agree with the majority of posters here with the choices for Sansa, Arya, Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime, Sandor, Joffrey... I'll add a few to this list... Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Harry Lloyd as Viserys, Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo, Mackenzie Crook as Orell, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, and Joe Dempsie as Gendry. I cannot imagine Gendry without seeing Joe Dempsie. Oh... and Iwan Rheon as the Bastard of Bolton himself... he just drips creepiness.

To me... the worst casting is Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder. I'm not sure what it is but I just don't like him for that part.

Harry Lloyd was a PERFECT Viserys.

I actually might be one of the few that really loves Emilia Clarke as Dany.

Rory McCan is an amazing Sandor.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is absolutely fantastic

and Maisie Williams is one of the best actors on the show. Not just ''as a little girl'' but full stop.

Conleth Hill as Varys is wonderful, of course Dance is a wonderful Tywin.

And also Jack Gleeson is a WONDERFUL joffrey.

Best: Michelle Fairley (Though I didnt like what they did to show Catelyn, I think she did good with what she was given) , Harry Lloyd, Conleth Hill, and Rose Leslie.

Worst: Kit Harrington. Not a fan of the actors who play Roose and LF too.

Best: Michelle Fairley (Though I didnt like what they did to show Catelyn, I think she did good with what she was given) , Harry Lloyd, Conleth Hill, and Rose Leslie.

Worst: Kit Harrington. Not a fan of the actors who play Roose and LF too.

:fencing:

You take that back!

:P

Best : Roose Bolton, Tywin, davos, Stannis, Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Arya, Sansa, Jaime Tyrion..................basically all of them apart from..........

Worst: Ramsay (he is not scary at all in my eyes and too pretty) and Renly

Overall I think they've hit on almost all of their casting choices. Most of the actors that people are mentioning struggled in their role more due to weak writing at points then the actors themselves.

But, Renly was definitely lacking. He just wasn't really anything like in the books, but some of it was due to how he was written. I can't stand the actress that plays Shae, but I really don't like Shae in the books so I guess that works?

I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Eddard Stark other than Sean Bean. It's actually how I pictured him while reading the novels.

Lookswise, the guy they cast as Benjen was perfect. He has exactly what I think of when I think of the "Stark look".

Worst cast for me thus far is, unfortunately, all of the Baratheon brothers. Particularly Stannis. Dillane is a fine actor and I can't tell if it's him or the material, but this is just not how I pictured Stannis at all. I was hoping against hope that they could get Mark Strong to portray him.....alas his movie cred may be too high for this show.

The guy playing Renly just didn't fit the look or personality I had come to expect. Some of that is writing though.

Addy did well with his material, and I couldn't complain at all with his portrayal in that sense. He just didn't look the part is all. He was shorter than Sean Bean!!!! To me it was the same problem Jack Reacher fans had with Tom Cruise in the role. He acted it just fine, but his look just wasn't there (lol @ tom Cruise playing a 6' 5" guy).

I do think that some of the problems with casting stems from weak writing and chipped away characters. The biggest loser in this department so far is Kit Harrington. The character of Jon Snow is a very internal one during Clash and Storm, and the stuff that was cut out of his arc in Clash wasn't great either. A LOT OF Jon's development occurs when he's with the Halfhand. Apart from that I believe Iwan Rheon is absolutely fantastically creepy and my big winners would probably be Charles Dance as Tywin and NCW as Jaime. Gwendoline Christie as Brienne and Maisie Williams as Arya are the other two standouts. Honourable mentions go to Michael McElhatton as Lord Bolton and Rose Leslie as Ygritte. Just two more, Sean Bean as Eddard Stark was fantastic casting and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister is also pretty amazing.

They all are overall great, perhaps the best part of the show so far has been its casting.

Best: Jaime, Davos and Arya, these are the ones that most closely resemble the characters in my mind.

Worst: Margaery and Littlefinger. LF more than Margaery really, he became a Bond villian caricature, partly the script to blame, but the actor's mannerisms have a great deal of fault as well.

Archived