Will Puddles Live Up To His Nickname? [book spoilers]

LordStoneheart

I wonder how Shards, or his fellow brothers in arms, were able to attack the Fist of the First Men. In the books I got the impression the WW were agile and terrifying, beautiful, opponents. Shards, however, moves like he's Grandpa White Walker. He probably wouldn't be able to climb to the top of the Fist, let alone under enemy fire and even less pursue the retreating brothers of the Night's Watch. He's so slow jogging away from him is enough to get away.

And that way, the Long Night makes little sense. What's the big deal in fighting Grandpa White Walker? Have a bunch of archers fire obsidian or fire arrows at the incoming Grandpas, if they miss, retreat, fire again, retreat, rinse and repeat until they are all dead. Grandpa Others just can't keep up with humans.

I agree - the Other was just not scary enough. Even the ones in the series premiere was scarier than this one, why, the ravens were scarier. I heard that the actor playing Puddles is the same guy who played The Mountain last season - good red god, that guy manages to single-handedly spoil all the scary things in the show.

Also, did any of your non-reader friends get that the dagger was made of obsidian?

I agree - the Other was just not scary enough. Even the ones in the series premiere was scarier than this one, why, the ravens were scarier. I heard that the actor playing Puddles is the same guy who played The Mountain last season - good red god, that guy manages to single-handedly spoil all the scary things in the show.

Also, did any of your non-reader friends get that the dagger was made of obsidian?

As someone said before, this was not an attack, but a confident act of stealing a baby from his mother, while being defended by a fat guy. Plenty of people were scared. I was not, because I knew what was going to happen. As for the dagger, they clearly introduced it two episodes ago. An explicit reference to its nature and ability to kill WW wouldn't feel natural, since Sam does not know that and in the middle of the chaos an instinctive reaction is either to panic or to attack the creature as he did.

I can't belive they didn't manage to capture the spirit of Puddles. Total character assassination.

I wonder why they felt the need to invent a new character when the old one ould have fit just as well. How tv-show typical.

Also the white walker was topless, more pointless nudity.

:laugh:

Surprised that nobody liked the white walker. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when he was stalking through the woods, and the look of of him just have me goosebumps. I think these things are terrifying looking.

Never was able to wrap my mind around the description of them in the books. They're inhumanely beautiful? Uhhhh . . . Okay. I much prefer the draugr looking things.

Surprised that nobody liked the white walker. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when he was stalking through the woods, and the look of of him just have me goosebumps. I think these things are terrifying looking.

Never was able to wrap my mind around the description of them in the books. They're inhumanely beautiful? Uhhhh . . . Okay. I much prefer the draugr looking things.

I LOVED it. It was genuinely frightening and powerful and beautiful.

Not some weird blue elegant elf like some people want it to be.

You are so right they look like draugr!!

And they ARE beautiful in a terrifying, ancient way.

I LOVED it. It was genuinely frightening and powerful and beautiful.

Not some weird blue elegant elf like some people want it to be.

You are so right they look like draugr!!

And they ARE beautiful in a terrifying, ancient way.

I'm fairly certain this bloke was the ugliest of the bunch as well. Hopefully they'll spend a bit more on some slightly less grandpa looking WWs like the one in the S1E1 opening scene.

I'm fairly certain this bloke was the ugliest of the bunch as well. Hopefully they'll spend a bit more on some slightly less grandpa looking WWs like the one in the S1E1 opening scene.

LOL yeh, grandpa Other.

I'm hoping we'll see some more beautiful and terrifying ones.

Because seriously, how can you not like their design? They look WONDERFUL. I was actually on the edge of my seat during that scene.

You can be sure as hell I wouldn't have been if it was just some weird avatar looking elf LOL

Dear Mrs. Shards-Puddles

We regret to inform you that after your recent loss of your husband, White Walker 1st Class Puddles, another tragedy strikes your family. Yesterday evening, while trying to enforce the haunted Forest's administration policy against squatting in abandoned buildings and making unauthorised fires, your brother Senior White Walker Shards was ambushed by a monstrous warmbody and struck with an obsidian spearhead, with immediate fatal results. We have immediately dispatched reinforcements to apprehend the murderer, but the chase is still on.

Please, accept our sincere condolences.

For Great Other - Forestry Department

Chief White Walker Icicle

The scene was great, liked the ravens quorking like mad. It was very creepy :)

Classic

Dear Mrs. Shards-Puddles

We regret to inform you that after your recent loss of your husband, White Walker 1st Class Puddles, another tragedy strikes your family. Yesterday evening, while trying to enforce the haunted Forest's administration policy against squatting in abandoned buildings and making unauthorised fires, your brother Senior White Walker Shards was ambushed by a monstrous warmbody and struck with an obsidian spearhead, with immediate fatal results. We have immediately dispatched reinforcements to apprehend the murderer, but the chase is still on.

Please, accept our sincere condolences.

For Great Other - Forestry Department

Chief White Walker Icicle

The scene was great, liked the ravens quorking like mad. It was very creepy :)

I'm starting to think that GRRM is treating Puddles' and Shards' family a bit like the Starks; always killing them off. Soon it will be Puddles. Jr and Shards. Jr that go.

Well now we know Sam attacked and killed two innocent Others. Shards was just trying to help get Gilly and her son back to The Wall safely. It was Sam who threatened him first.

Shards has been stealing Craster's sons for years and Craster was cool with it, Sam has no respect for other cultures, typical white Anglo male.

Dear Mrs. Shards-Puddles,

Having been informed by Chief White Walker Icicle of your great loss, I feel how weak and fruitless any words of mine would be that would attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Non-Genocidal Prejudice Free Dominion they died to save.

I have on many occasions had the great honor to take direction from your dearly departed husband and brother in many great battles for our noble cause and have under their direction and guidance seen hundreds of former enemies, hornfoot men, nightswatchmen, giants, and cave people come to know the unifying and peace giving qualities of a pair of bright blue eyes. A pair of eyes given to them by your blessed departed, we shall never see their like again. I pray now only that our Great Other may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved, lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of reanimation of the unified utilitarian dead .

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

The Undead Abraham Lincoln, Chief Wight of the Army of Thralls of the Great Other, 404 Dry Ice Lane, Valley of Thenn.

Archived