who would you want as your bodyguard?

tarquinbb

(contains ADWD spoilers)

personally i would take mance rayder. iirc he's bested all the wildling heroes to prove his strength, must have killed countless wights, he also beat the crap out of jon snow without breaking a sweat (jon's POV made it sound like mance (disguised as rattleshirt) was a terminator - and jon has seen many fighters in his time at winterfell and beyond), he's also cunning and smart. i have high hopes for mance, because i feel that he's been touted as one of the strongest, quickest and most cunning fighters in the world.

other renowned (living) fighters from the books:

tormund giantsbane

strong belwas

asha greyjoy

victarion greyjoy

greatjon umber

areo hotah

~sandor clegane (unsure whether he's alive or dead)

were renowned but now arguable:

the blackfish

randyl tarly

howland reed

barristan selmy

jon connington

jaime lannister

thoros of myr

untested or generally overrated:

bronn

jon snow

robb stark

stannis baratheon

brienne of tarth

loras tyrell

garlan tyrell

jorah mormont

this is the best i could gather from the book. obviously there are plenty of sellswords, pit fighters, exiles, knights (especially vale knights) which we don't hear much about. we know daario, bronze yohn, caggo corpsekiller, archibald yronwood, moqorro the black flame, robert strong etc are great fighters/physical monsters - but imo we don't really have enough info to rank them with the contenders yet.

He is dead but I would choose Oberyn Martell aka The Red Viper! I really liked his character and I was pretty bummed that he got his face smashed in. But a living bodyguard I would also have to go with Mance,

Edited for living choice.

Not that Mance is a bad choice, but I have two issues with your assessment. I don't think her personally beat up all the best wildlings. Part of his "strength" is getting strong people on his side. 2. While he did beat Jon, he had a huge advantage in that his outward appearance did not at all match his actual physical one. Jon noted as much, and thinks he stands a chance in the second fight.

I would still have to choose Barristan Selmy. He is getting up in age, but he seems to have the best spacial awareness of any character in the book. You just don't want the best fighter, you want the guy who will catch the assassin out in the crowd.

Not that Mance is a bad choice, but I have two issues with your assessment. I don't think her personally beat up all the best wildlings. Part of his "strength" is getting strong people on his side. 2. While he did beat Jon, he had a huge advantage in that his outward appearance did not at all match his actual physical one. Jon noted as much, and thinks he stands a chance in the second fight.

I would still have to choose Barristan Selmy. He is getting up in age, but he seems to have the best spacial awareness of any character in the book. You just don't want the best fighter, you want the guy who will catch the assassin out in the crowd.

there isn't much solid evidence that mance is a godlike fighter, but i felt that it was implied. tormund and the other wildlings simply would not follow a weakling, they follow strength. to gain their respect he must have displayed great fighting ability/strength (when jon ask's tormund about the wights, tormund says 'mance has killed a hundred', clearly tormund has great respect for him). mance also displayed genius cunning to rival tyrion with his ploy to lie about joramund's horn (seemingly knowing that jon would turn back to the night's watch side) and the winterfell ruse.

i agree that barristan might still have the eagle eye to spot danger, but at 63-years-old he hasn't really been battle tested. he also doesn't really offer much in the way of council unless the subject is honor; jorah mormont seemed to be much wiser council for dany.

another notable condender i'd forgot was the blackfish. iirc a lot of people showed respect to the blackfish, even jaime, and like barristan selmy his claim to fame was heroics in the battle of the ninepenny kings. ergo the blackfish could be on par with barristan.

What makes you think moroqqo is a fighter of any type

didn't say he was a fighter, i just remember reading that he was described by tyrion as being a muscled monster about 3 times wider than jorah.

such physical traits wouldn't be necessary unless he was a handy warrior. i'll concede that it's a big assumption, but i only listed him in with the obscure - the guys that 'could' be great warriors but we just don't know yet without taking a wild guess.

I don't know about Tormund or Mance. They both seem quite headstrong. I don't know if following orders for the rest of their lives would really suit them. ETA: Same goes for Asha, I guess.

As for Arya or Jaqen: They're assassins - trying not to be seen/noticed is essential for their job. A bodyguard on the other hand would have to be seen, that's part of the job. So not sure about those two either. They'd sure be handy to have around, but maybe not as bodyguards.

I guess, my top five would be Selmy, Areo, Brienne, the Hound and Jaime before he lost his hand (provided there are no other Lannisters around to give him bad ideas).

The_Undying brings up a good point. Part of a body guard's duty is just to be seen. The presence alone is part of the deterrent. So, depending where you are, Selmy would be an excellent choice simply because of his "legend" status. But outside of Westeros, this wouldn't count for as much and people would just think you have an old man walking around with you. In those situations, I think Areo might be the better choice. Big man with a big axe is sort of universal for don't fuck with me.

Really, I'd prefer a team of body guards. Selmy for his brains and legend, Areo for his muscle, and Jaqen (or any other skilled faceless man) for their knife in the back.

Archived