(Book Spoilers) Tywin and his lover Question ..

ServantOnIce

One thing that doesn't make sense is why would Tywin bang Shae? I mean Tywin didn't seem to be the type of guy into, "sloppy seconds" and book Shae isn't as sultry or "experienced" as TV Shae. It never made sense to me why GRRM did that.

Did Shae try to seduce Tywin? Did Tywin entice Shae to betray Tyrion? How did Shae get in the room past the guards without the guards talking? Did Varys know about Tywin and Shae?

i suppose the answer to all of this can be found in the answer to this specific question:

How did Shae get in the room past the guards without the guards talking?

tywin brought her in. so yes, tywin was sleeping with her. shae being in tywin's bed was not a set up by varys.

Tywin was a hypocrite. Well, he did hide his whoring, but anyway... I don't really remember exactly how it happened, so maybe I missed something? I really don't remember how Tywin got to sleep with this specific whore, his son's kind-of love.

Nobody knows. Tywin hated Tyrion, so fucking someone Tyrion held dear may provide a perverse delight to him. Or their taste on women align.

Tywin was a hypocrite. Well, he did hide his whoring, but anyway... I don't really remember exactly how it happened, so maybe I missed something? I really don't remember how Tywin got to sleep with this specific whore, his son's kind-of love.

I don't see how he was a hypocrite. His main problem with Tyrion was he fell in love; the same weakness Tytos had. The other problem was Tyrion was so open with it.

I always thought maybe she was Tywin's whore before Bronn found her >.>

I don't see how he was a hypocrite. His main problem with Tyrion was he fell in love; the same weakness Tytos had. The other problem was Tyrion was so open with it.

Tywin loved Joanna... I just thought he was unhappy to see Tyrion happy because he blames Tyrion for her death and his unhappiness.

"...You're done with whores. The next one I find in your bed, I'll hang."

Tywin defintely had a problem with Tyrion employing prostitutes at all, not just because he was semi-open about it. So when one such is found in his bed, with the implication that he was having sex with her, that makes him a hypocrite.

And for the record, neither Tysha nor Tytos' mistress were prostitutes, which Tywin knew. What really grinded Tywin's gears was that a commoner was having a relationship with a noble, and the noble making a fool of himself by having sex below his station. In Tywin's eyes, that makes the commoner a whore.

that's from the show, right? i don't remember that in the books. anyway, i always thought that tywin's problem wasn't that tyrion slept with whores but that he tended to get carried away with them and be seen with them publicly. he was very discreet (i'm sure he is the one who had the tunnel built from the hand's quarters to the whore house) but feels that tyrion is not.

Tywin defintely had a problem with Tyrion employing prostitutes at all, not just because he was semi-open about it. So when one such is found in his bed, with the implication that he was having sex with her, that makes him a hypocrite.

And for the record, neither Tysha nor Tytos' mistress were prostitutes, which Tywin knew. What really grinded Tywin's gears was that a commoner was having a relationship with a noble, and the noble making a fool of himself by having sex below his station. In Tywin's eyes, that makes the commoner a whore.

You have to look at the context of the first point. Tyrion had just publicly fallen for another whore Alayaya and threatened to have the prince raped for her. He had just put a Lannister on the level of a whore. Tywin was furious with him,

As for the second I agree. Tywin and Kevan are the worst snobs we see. They look down on all commoners and think any commoner, who gets with a noble is a whore, because they are after money and power.

All she wanted was the gold, which made her no different from a whore, so . . . so it would not be a lie, not truly, and . . . he said that you required a sharp lesson. That you would learn from it, and thank me later . . . "

that's from the show, right? i don't remember that in the books. anyway, i always thought that tywin's problem wasn't that tyrion slept with whores but that he tended to get carried away with them and be seen with them publicly. he was very discreet (i'm sure he is the one who had the tunnel built from the hand's quarters to the whore house) but feels that tyrion is not.

He said that in the books after him and Cersei had Alayaya stripped naked and beaten.

Tywin's problem was Tyrion's whore addiction. Tyrion let whores rule his life, its like the difference between enjoying drinking and being an alcoholic.

As for why he banged Shae? He wanted to ensure she was no longer loyal to Tyrion.

I just kind of assumed that Tywin just hid his baser needs from public view.

Shae wanted her jewels, clothes, money, etc.

So she seduced Tywin in hopes of getting everything that Cersei was denying her.

Shae seemed kind of oblivious to Tywin's reputation, so it was just dumb luck that Tywin had a secret thing for whores and succumbed to her feminine wiles.

Why would Tywin care about that? Especially with Tyrion about to be executed the next morning.

Tyrion was not going to be executed, and Tywin did not appear all that surprised by the fact that Tyrion broke out of the black cells.

Tywin's lack of surprise at Tyrion's escape probably implies he planned to send him to the Wall or into exile.

I remember reading that and being impressed by Tywin's complete lack of losing his shit over this. His son, who was just found guilty by men and gods for murder of the King is out of his cell, and Tywin's just like "oh, why are you doing this? go back to your room, kid".

Archived