[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

So the writers seem to have decided (I think they may have even stated in an interview) that season 9 will be the "big event" episode of each season.

Season 1: Ned's death (it was not the episode's main focus even as momentous as it was, but it still seemed to start the pattern)

Season 2: Battle of Blackwater Bay

Season 3: Red Wedding

Season 4: Battle of the Wall seems more than likely

Then, as many have theorized, AFFC/ADDW have about two seasons' worth of material between them (although not necessarily two seasons' worth for each character, as it is spread over so many, but that's another story).

One of the major issues people have with ADDW is that it ends right before two battles, the "Battle of Meereen" and "The Siege of Winterfell", if that's what you want to call them. Despite the fact that neither have been written yet, it seems logical that one or both will be pushed up to the end of season 6 as its major "event" episode.

But that still leaves season 5. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they could do. There are a few battles in AFFC/ADDW, but none involving characters the audience would really care about. Likewise there are a couple deaths, but none are major enough to be considered an event.

One possibility is bringing the Battle of Meereen or the Siege of Winterfell all the way ahead to season 5 (again, despite the fact that they should happen in book 6).

So let's look at our candidates for the major event in Season 5, Episode 9:

1. Siege of Winterfell

Pros:

- Speed up Theon's storyline. Dunno how long the audience can take him getting tortured.

Cons:

- Stannis just had a battle in season 4. As an audience member I'm starting to think Stannis is the only one who fights battles in this show.

- If Jon Snow and the wildings/Night's Watch are involved, it means, cramming everything that happens at Castle Black in ADDW, including Jon's supposed death, down into the first 7 or 8 episodes of season 5.

2. Battle of Meereen

Pros:

- Epic battle involving Tyrion, Victarion, Barristan, Jorah, etc.

- Speeds up slow boring Meereen storyline. Means we can put some of the ADDW stuff into season 4.

- Probably means Dany gets to Westeros sooner.

Cons:

- Means cutting Tyrion's entire ADDW story (meeting Illyrio, JonCon, Aegon, Jorah, Penny & Moqorro, being sold as a slave, performing in the fighting pit, deal with Brown Ben Plum, etc.) down into the first 7 or 8 episodes of season 5.

- Means putting Quentyn's entire story into season 5, the season in which we'll probably also be introduced to Sunspear, Doran, and possible other Dorne characters. Too much Dorne for one season?

3. Daznak's Pit

Pros:

- Tyrion and Dany both involved.

- Dany gets to ride a dragon.

- Tyrion gets to ride a pig.

Cons:

- Similar to the Battle of Meereen's cons, but slightly less so.

4. Siege of Dragonstone

Pros:

Cons:

- Audience doesn't care about Loras.

5. Retaking of Deepwood Motte

Pros:

Cons:

- Audience doesn't care about Asha, nor do they know about Deepwood Motte, nor should they.

- Another Stannis battle.

6. Battle of the Shield Islands

Pros:

- Maybe they could find a way to get Sam involved...

Cons:

- Audience probably won't care about Victarion or Euron.

7. Seige of Riverrun

Pros:

- Jaime, Blackfish

Cons:

- Not epic enough. Not a battle.

8. Burning of "Mance"/Merging of Forces

Pros:

Cons:

- Not event material.

9. SOMETHING THE WRITERS MAKE UP

Pros:

- Can bring several main characters together and have something epic happen!

Cons:

- Will be contrived, and will probably hurt the rest of the story.

I'm picking the Daznak's Pit as the best bet.

They will probably change the story around a bit to make it less convoluted and more streamlined. I am guessing that ADWD and AFFC will end by Season 5's end. They will probably show one of the battles- I would say Battle for Winterfell, in Episode 10. Then, in Episode 9, I expect them to show Dany ride Drogon.

I suspect it will be the Battle of Winterfell or Meereen. I expect the Essos storyline to be put on fast forward, with some major cuts including the whole Quentyn storyline. Perhaps wishful thinking, but this is actually something I could see the show doing very right by. No reason at all to linger on the boring bits, and everyone knows George is going to get passed by the show. Full speed ahead I say, and be done in seven seasons.

Seven deadly sins, seven ways to win..

I suspect it will be the Battle of Winterfell or Meereen. I expect the Essos storyline to be put on fast forward, with some major cuts including the whole Quentyn storyline. Perhaps wishful thinking, but this is actually something I could see the show doing very right by. No reason at all to linger on the boring bits, and everyone knows George is going to get passed by the show. Full speed ahead I say, and be done in seven seasons.

Seven deadly sins, seven ways to win..

If Quentyn's storyline does turn out to be important, they could cram in the Dorne storyline in the first few episodes, ending with Doran's reveal in Episode 5, and introduce Quentyn when he gets to Mereen. I imagine that the Tattered Prince's defection storyline is going to be cut. Have the Battle of Meereen be a Blackwater-style Episode 9.

Of course, the problem with this kind of speculation is that until TWOW comes out, we don't know how the Battles of Meereen and Winterfell are actually going to play out, so working out how much screentime should be allocated to them is tricky.

Personally, I don't think the Battle of the Wall is going to be Episode 9 of Season 4, just because it's more of a siege than a battle, and even if say Stannis' arrival will be Episode 9, that leaves trying to cram in the whole LC election into Episode 10. It's more likely that Tyrion killing Tywin will be the cliffhanger of Episode 9.

That leaves it open for Season 5's Episode 9 to be a more 'intimate' moment rather than a battle, but that's a different problem- there are no such emotionally charged moments like Ned's death, the RW or Tyrion killing Tywin in AFFC or ADWD (although there are a few that come close, but they aren't climax material).

I reckon it will be the Battle at Mereen (If we get two whole seasons of mereen, then fuck this show), and Jon Snow's assassination.

I think the Siege of Winterfell will be the beginning of Season 6.

Yup seems like the best way to me. Does mean that you have to move Tyrion through Essos fairly rapidly but that is not a bad thing. Would bring nice closure to Tyrion, Dany, Vic and co. It finally gives the audience some awesome dragon action, assusming that occurs, and gives hints that Dany might be about to do something...

Jon as the final scene of ep10 would work well. A final WTF and works in much the same way it did at the end of the book. Save Battle of Ice until season 6, although I'm not convince that's going to be a "normal" battle anyway.

Battle of Meereen seems the most likely IMO, probably don't want Daenerys to spend more than 2 years there.

To be technical it's the siege of Meereen ,or the breaking thereof, since there already has been 'the battle of Meereen' when Dany took it.

Cersei's arrest and the end of her power in King's Landing is a major event, in my opinion.

I don't think that Season 4's big event will be the Battle of the Wall - but Tywin's death.

The PW definitely will be before episode 9 next season so that's ruled out. Tyrion killing Tywin seems viable. Naming Jon Snow LC is more of a final scene of a season kind of moment. It will give the watchers some sense of victory after everything with the Starks.

About season 5, count me in the camp that says Dany riding Drogon is a good choice.

And I have a comment about your season 4 prediction: episode 9 is way too late for the battle of the wall, and it would require unreasonably stretching some storylines. Jon will escape from the wildlings next week, get back at Castle Black at the end of the season, and will spend the first episodes of S4 battling wildlings at the wall. The fight should be mostly over before episode 9 rolls in.

I would say Tyrion's escape from KL is a better choice, although I think episode 9 it's allmost too late for that also.

Season 5: Dany´s escape on Drogon and Stanis and co. attacking Bolton´s at Winterfell

The siege of Winterfell is the conclusion of Theon´s Reek storyline and can be easily put forward. And there is no clear timeline for Stanis at the Wall so he can leave sooner. Also, it will give Yara something to do and maybe conclude the Greyjoy storyline (assuming she and Theon meet again).

Dany flying away on Drogon is another classic Dany bad-ass monent the viewers love and I think 8 episodes is just enough to show how her Meereen rule went sour. (2 episodes establishing the new situation, three for the growing terror, one or two devoted to Quentin, the last three for the wedding, escape and Dothraki reintroduction as a teaser for season 6.)

The siege of Meereen is too complicated and is (hopefully) just a beginning of a long series of events which will probably completely change the Essos and Dany´s situation. I think it will be at the beginning (episode 2 or 3) of season 6 where the show traditionally puts big events affecting the rest of season.

I've been thinking that it could be the battle of Mereen in conjuction with the battle at the Wall that caps off season 4 episode 9. All though the Oberyn duel mixed in with Tywins death would make for a fine show perhaps we get that is episode 10.

It sounds like the plan is to make the show seven seasons long by condensing Feast and Dance into one season. In that case, Jon's assasination would be the best candiate for a Season 5 climax.

Yes, but Jon's assassination would not work as an "episode 9", they would have to resolve it in the next episode (explaining if he's dead, only injured, warged in Ghost, etc.). And it would be underwhelming, unless he's really dead-not-undead-not-warg, which is unlikely. Episode-9 events are more definitive, whatever they are. I think Jon's assassination would need to be an episode-10 cliffhanger, a bit like in the book.

Archived