[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

If 7 seasons is accurate (check the thread-sorry no link), they'll pretty much have to. I think by 310, we'll be roughly 2/3 through ASoS, so 5 episodes next season should do it.

But you can't comapre the first 2\3 of a book with it's final third. the final third, in ASoS in particular, is incredibly packed. In harry potter for example, the last movie was basically the finale quarter of the seventh book.

But you can't comapre the first 2\3 of a book with it's final third. the final third, in ASoS in particular, is incredibly packed. In harry potter for example, the last movie was basically the finale quarter of the seventh book.

Fair enough- maybe we'll see some ASoS events bleeding past 405 but I fully expect the second half of season 4 to get into the thick of AFfC/ADwD. If Dany sits in Meereen from 401-510 it will be death. I could see Daznak's pit by 504, Battle of Meereen 509, Battle of Winterfell 601.

ASoS should wrap by 405.

AFfC/ADwD should take up no more than 13 episodes (406-508) Battle of Meereen episode 509.

Some of it will indeed. But the stuff in KL and the Wall will run through to seasons end.

Think of how much has to happen before Tyrion's escape.

Think of how much has to happen before Stannis asks Jon to become Jon Stark or before he's elected as LC.

On the other hand your right about Dany, Arya, and others.

For some reason I think Daznak's pit will be at the end of season 4.

In all liklihood they're going to take from AFFC/ADWD for some storylines, and settle for just ASOS stuff for others. KL, for instance, has enough drama left to cover a whole season. The Wall, at least most of a season, perhaps all. Arya... perhaps more, perhaps enough. Bran will need more to do, Dany is a problem either way because most of the Essos story in ADWD won't translate well to TV. I definitely think we'll have Greyjoys and Kingsmoot in Season 4, and possibly Martells besides Oberyn.

I can see Season 4 ending with:

· Tyrion escaping, death of Tywin.

· Greyjoy fleet attacking the Reach. Victarion sent to find Dany.

· “Only Cat.”

· Jon being offered Winterfell by Stannis, or being named LC, or sending Sam off. Lots of potential good ending points.

· Arya leaving for Braavos.

· UnCat capturing Brienne.

· Possibly “Fire and Blood.”

· Dany… who knows. I vote her “Most Likely To Have Her Storyline Rewritten.”

· Dany… who knows. I vote her “Most Likely To Have Her Storyline Rewritten.”

I had a theory that Dany & Co. might march on Volantis to connect her with Lord of Light junk, march them down the Demon road past the Doom for some good Valyria exposition, and kind of feel like she's getting closer to Westeros. It's being the largest slave city would mean she was serious about ending slavery in Essos. (Also dealing with the Rhoynar at the same time you're doing Dorne)

You replace Hizadr with a Triarch (an elephant), and transfer some Meereen events to Volantis, where the insurrection against her might be a little more interesting. Also, Tyrion & Aegon's travelogue gets compressed, and you're still adjacent to the Dothraki sea for the Drogon escape. Meereen just becomes part of the general slaver's bay forces opposing her at the Battle of Volantis.

If it were between Battle of Winterfell and (2nd) Battle of Meereen for S5E9, I would think that Winterfell is more likely, because of how much events need to be covered before the Battle of Meereen with so many storylines converging there. Winterfell will be much easier to streamline; Stannis can march south from the Wall earlier in S5, Reek + Ramsay storyline will (finally) be done. But then again this is assuming too much.

The stuff in Essos is the the part that is most likely to be most heavily cut, D&D are going to answer the Meereen Knot the as Alexander did the Gordian Knot and cut it. Tyrion and Dany's DWD material made most of the audience turn against them, and with all the weight the show puts on those two characters, D&D can't let that happen.

Cersei's imprisonment gets my vote. It'll get a long-deserved cheer from the audience, and represents a solid narrative arc. It also follows the vague pattern of character death, major battle, character death, major battle... Other possible moments could include Dany flying away on Drogon's back (assuming they start Dany's Meereen plot in season 4); Brienne defeating Locke and his outlaws, and meeting Lady Stoneheart; Tyrion being saved by Dany/joining the Second Sons (I'm sorry, but he cannot be journeying to Meereen for two seasons); and maybe Jaime securing Riverrun peacefully (though this is kind of tame for a season climax).

I assume the Battles of Winterfell and Meereen (ice and fire) will form the climax of season 6 (as they should have done book 5!).

• 3 months later...

I am of the opinion that Meereen can't be sped up to the point that the dragon pit happens in season 5, let alone the battle, as it would ruin the story of the other characters involved in the Meereenese knot. For example, that would require all of Tyrion's stuff with Illyrio, Aegon and Jorah to be squished into about 6 episodes, which is way to fast. As for the North, I just can't see how they could satisfyingly fit all of Jon's stuff into one season, especially considering that it is looking more and more likely that the election will be held back to season 5.

So overall I think the episode 9 of season 5 will be a series of smaller epic climaxes as opposed to one single epic climax. As for what these smaller climaxes could be, my guesses are:

- Brienne and co vs Rorge

- The Skagos reveal

- Cersei arrested by the faith.

There may not be a single epic event, but it still could be an epic episode.

Overall, my guesses for key events are:

5x02 - The Kingsmoot

5x03 - Jon elected Lord Commander

5x04 - The Dragons are imrpisoned

5x07 - The Queenmaker

5x09 - Brienne vs Rorge, Skagos reveal, Cersei arrested by the faith

5x10 - Brienne is hanged, Jon beheads Janos (it seems as though their scheming will be emphasised on the show, with the news that Locke is going to the Wall)

6x04 - Varys returns

6x05 - the fighting pit

6x09 - Stannis vs the Boltons AND the Quentyn and Barristan plots. Imagine having the battle for most of the episode then switching to Meereen in the last 15 minutes for those chapters.

6x10 - Jon is murdered

7x02 - Battle of Meereen (what an epic start to a season that would be)

Yeah, I can honestly say that the Battle of Meereen will not be held in season 7 because they will either change the story so that Dany's story is sped up more than the others or they don't and the series gets cancelled by season 6.

If Treme and Boardwalk Empire can survive for 4 seasons I highly doubt Game of Thrones will ever be cancelled. For it to be cancelled Game of Thrones would have to lost at least 80% of its viewers and suddenly stop selling dvd's, and that will never happen.

I don't see how people think that Daenerys' storyline will be boring on screen;

season 5A: a shadow war and the her losing control of the dragons

season 5B: the beginning of the siege and further attempts to stabilise the city

season 6A: The Meereenese knot

season 6B: Daenerys among the Dothraki (if any part of her storyline is sped up, it is likely to be this) while the Barristan and Quentyn plots unfold.

Also, people seem to think that Daenerys is the only character on the show. Jon, Arya, Sam, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Theon, Bran etc all have stories of their own.

If Treme and Boardwalk Empire can survive for 4 seasons I highly doubt Game of Thrones will ever be cancelled. For it to be cancelled Game of Thrones would have to lost at least 80% of its viewers and suddenly stop selling dvd's, and that will never happen.

Unless they have two seasons season of almost pure set that barely advance the plot at all when they don't even have major character death to still keep people interested. I mean there will be no major deaths from Tywin's in season four till Jon's everyone knows they aren't actually killing him off at the cliff hanger of season 6 by your plan.

I don't see how people think that Daenerys' storyline will be boring on screen;

season 5A: a shadow war and the her losing control of the dragons

season 5B: the beginning of the siege and further attempts to stabilise the city

season 6A: The Meereenese knot

season 6B: Daenerys among the Dothraki (if any part of her storyline is sped up, it is likely to be this) while the Barristan and Quentyn plots unfold.

Also, people seem to think that Daenerys is the only character on the show. Jon, Arya, Sam, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Theon, Bran etc all have stories of their own.

And other than maybe Jon, none of them have two seasons of material. There is literally no reason to include Quentyn unless you cut Aegon because cutting Quentyn alone gives Doran plenty of reason to favor Aegon over Dany. The television audience has been expecting Dany's invasion since the season one finale.

And other than maybe Jon, none of them have two seasons of material. There is literally no reason to include Quentyn unless you cut Aegon because cutting Quentyn alone gives Doran plenty of reason to favor Aegon over Dany. The television audience has been expecting Dany's invasion since the season one finale.

Just using the last one third of SoS (actually there is more material than that unused in season 3) one has got a 4 important King's Landing plot pivots to cover

if one counts Tryion's trial as one of them

, if elaborated just a bit that's almost half a season's worth of material. Events around the Wall , especially if S4E9 is what Neil Marshall is on board for should take up more than a quarter of the season, leaving everybody else plenty of adventures without even touching the next two novels.

Seems to me everything goes dead , more or less, at KL after SoS, so I don't know what goes on there season 5.

If the showrunners stick with what-seems-to-be-George's story, Dany does not even start for Westeros until Winter has nailed it! The big unknown is will Westeros realize they have a common enemy coming from the north in WoW?

That changes everything!

Unless they have two seasons season of almost pure set that barely advance the plot at all when they don't even have major character death to still keep people interested. I mean there will be no major deaths from Tywin's in season four till Jon's everyone knows they aren't actually killing him off at the cliff hanger of season 6 by your plan.

That actually sums up Treme and Boardwalk Empire :P (ok, I might be exaggerating slightly, but they are both rather boring, uneventful shows).

Your assertions rely on one assumption: that all of the storylines from Feast/Dance will last two seasons if Daenerys (and Jon) last two seasons. D&D have said repeatedly that from now on there won't be a clear cutoff point between books from now on, where everyone goes from one book to the next at the same time. Some storylines (Davos,Sansa) only have enough material to last until the end of season 5, while others (Jon, Meereen) have enough to last until the end of season 6, with most falling somewhere in between. Season 5, admittedly, will lack major character deaths, but so did season 2, which proved that Game of Thrones can have a good (not necessarily great, but good) season without a major death. As for season 6 there would be TWoW stuff mixed in so you can't say there will be absolutely no major deaths as we don't know what happens in TWoW. And the ADwD stuff has Quentyn and Jon as major deaths, so there is that. And even without deaths, the Meereenese knot, King's Landing post-Cersei's arrest and the landing of Aegon are all quite eventful, not all events have to contain major deaths to be entertaining (see Blackwater, the siege of the Wall, the sacking of Astapor etc).

And your Quentyn-Aegon thing makes no sense. It is because Quentyn exists (and dies) that Doran will likely not support Daenerys. Without Quentyn he has no reason not to support her. And that's without getting into the huge impact that Quentyn had on the current situation in Meereen...

And your Quentyn-Aegon thing makes no sense. It is because Quentyn exists (and dies) that Doran will likely not support Daenerys. Without Quentyn he has no reason not to support her. And that's without getting into the huge impact that Quentyn had on the current situation in Meereen...

The simple fact is that Quentyn Martell is needed for exactly two things in the story 1) to release the dragons and 2) to give Doran a reason to not support Dany. One can be done by anybody, it could litertally be done by a nameless extra. Removing Quentyn resolves two because if Doran doesn't have an unmarried son, it makes more sense to go with Aegon who has a stronger claim, is already his blood, and can be married to his daughter. The only real problem removing Quentyn has is one that removing him resolves.

[redacted]

I forsee Season 5 having several mid-level episode 9 moments. I'd have to go back through the books to have a better idea. They also have Cercei's walk of shame, Arriane's plot, the pink-letter... I don't know where all that should fit, but they have several interesting events to work with.

EDIT:

Forget what I said up there. What if they combine Quentyn / The Pit? Dany says all the same stuff to Quentyn to make him think he has to do something to impress her. She has the Dornish in her Leadership-Booth or whatever as a show of respect. Then when she jumps in the pit to stop the Drogon vs. random people battle, Quentyn decides to go after her to "save" her, Drogon kills him with fire, Dany flies off to prevent any more carnage.

This condenses the story, makes Dany more to blame for Quentyn, and is probably more of a dramatic "big event" than separating the two. That's my vote now! I'm all-in on the combining idea ;-).

The simple fact is that Quentyn Martell is needed for exactly two things in the story 1) to release the dragons and 2) to give Doran a reason to not support Dany. One can be done by anybody, it could litertally be done by a nameless extra. Removing Quentyn resolves two because if Doran doesn't have an unmarried son, it makes more sense to go with Aegon who has a stronger claim, is already his blood, and can be married to his daughter. The only real problem removing Quentyn has is one that removing him resolves.

But then the question would be: why replace Quentyn in favour of someone else? Quentyn was one of the most relatable PoV's from the books and his story lends itself to adaption perfectly. Book readers often forget that the series is not made for them, but for everyone, and the average viewer won't know how Quentyn's story ends while they are watching it. Why remove the drama of his story when it could add so much to the show?

[redacted]

I forsee Season 5 having several mid-level episode 9 moments. I'd have to go back through the books to have a better idea. They also have Cercei's walk of shame, Arriane's plot, the pink-letter... I don't know where all that should fit, but they have several interesting events to work with.

:agree:

A single epic event isn't the only thing that makes a good episode. Many smaller epic events all in one episode would be a great episode 9 as well.

Forget what I said up there. What if they combine Quentyn / The Pit? Dany says all the same stuff to Quentyn to make him think he has to do something to impress her. She has the Dornish in her Leadership-Booth or whatever as a show of respect. Then when she jumps in the pit to stop the Drogon vs. random people battle, Quentyn decides to go after her to "save" her, Drogon kills him with fire, Dany flies off to prevent any more carnage.

This condenses the story, makes Dany more to blame for Quentyn, and is probably more of a dramatic "big event" than separating the two. That's my vote now! I'm all-in on the combining idea ;-).

I do disagree with this, though. I think that that the Meereenese knot as told in the books would translate perfectly to screen. Also, my theory is that Daenerys' last ADwD chapter and first few TWoW chapter will happen, chronologically, at the same time as Barristan's ADwD chapters, and that Daenerys will return to Meereen towards the end of, or just after, the battle. If that theory turns out to be true they could have all of the Daenerys among the Dothraki stuff happen at the same time as the Barristan and Quentyn plots, keeping Meereen interesting while Daenerys makes her way back there for the battle.

Also, I'd do the other stuff like this:

Tyrion:

1 - Gets to Essos, goes off with Jon-Con

2 - Hangs out on the boat

3 - Figures out who Young Griff is

4 - Almost drowns / the Stone Men

5 - Goes to the whorehouse / gets Captured by NOT-Jorah

6 - Tyrion finds out hes a slave, Jorah is also already a slave there

7 - Talking to Jorah / Being a slave

8 - They transport Tyrion / Jorah to Mereen, tell them they will be in the spectacle

9 - Tyrion is in the Pit

10 - Ben Plumm buys Tyrion and Jorah and gives them their freedom, Tyrion signs the contracts.

Now, in order to condense the Pit stuff / make it more interesting, I'd just have Tyrion (+ 2 other dwarfs?) have to fight the Boar. Then Dany freaks out gets all mad, tells them to stop this, and because she gets mad, Drogon shows up, thus directly leading into the stuff I mentioned above. This actually puts Tyrions life in danger for a second, making it a more exciting arc for him, where-as before Dany got rid of the Lions off screen. Plus it connects them to the story more, Tyrion almost interacts with Dany, etc.

I also think Tryion should just be captured as a slave and find Jorah already enslaved to save time. I also think he should spend 0 screen time crossing the narrow sea, and less than 1 episode hanging out with Illyrio.

Aegon/JonCon:

1-5: Same as Tyrion.

6 - He's annoyed Tyrion ran away.

7 - They make their plans to go West instead of to Dany.

8 - They meet the Golden Company.

9 - They land on Westeros / Take Griffins Roost.

10 - They make plans to capture Storm's End / JonCon has greyscale.

Jon Snow (cutting all of the Alys Karstark stuff):

A - Hangs out. Talks a lot to Stannis / Mellisandra.

B - Talks to the Wildlings / makes orders as LC.

6-ish - Kills Janos Slynt

7 or 8 - Is offered to be Lord of Winterfell

9 - Lets the Wildlings through the wall

10 - Gets the pink-letter / Gets stabbed

Arya:

This stuff all seemed pretty bland in the book, so I'd leave Arya out of a bunch of S5 episodes, or do the old Bran-trick of a short scene per episode.

Episode 9 - kills the guy they have her kill.

Dorne:

1 - News of Oberyn's death reaches Dorne. We meet Doran and Hotah at the Gardens. We meet a sand-snake who convinces Doran to return to Sunspear.

2 - We find the rest of the sandsnakes, Arrianne, Myrcella, Arys, in Sunspear. They plead their cases to Doran.

3 - Doran arrests the sandsnakes and says that thing about making sure the Lannisters know they have a friend in Dorne.

4 - Arrianne starts her plan with Myrcella, Arys, Darkstar, whoever else is necessary.

5 - The plan goes bad, Myrcella is injured.

6 - Doran gives his Fire and Blood speech to Arrianne revealing that Quentyn is going to Dany. This fits with above, as we would immediately cut to Quentyn making his appearence in Mereeen in this episode.

7 - Nothing, Quentyn doing his thing.

8 - Nothing, focus on Quentyn.

9 - Nothing, focus on Quentyn.

10 - Oberyn's body and Gregor's skull are returned to Sunspear. The sandsnakes are freed. Doran sends the sandsnakes off on their missions, makes some mention about waiting for word from Quentyn, reveals how the Lannisters planned to kill Trystane.

So so far, that would leave an Episode 9 of:

1. The Pit with Dany, Quentyn, Tyrion.

2. Taking Griffin's Roost

3. The wildlings come through the wall

4. Arya kills someone for the dudes training her.

Ok so... thinking all of this out is a lot more work than I thought. I think everything I've laid out is possible, but that leaves Cersei, Jamie, Littlefinger/Sansa, Victarion, Bran, Theon... agh.

Archived