[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

I think Jon's Caesaring will be a cliffhanger for episode 10.

I don't think that will be a cliffhanger on the TV show, especially not in episode 10. There's direct consequences and it would be awkward to cut it and then continue a year later with everyone looking a year older.

I think episode 9 of season 6 will be the battle in Meereen because it will allow enough time for Tyrion, Dany, Jorah, Aegon, and Victarion's stories to catch up with each other.

Episode 9 of season 5 should be Jon's stabbing and all of the immediate consequences of it or Stannis and the events at Winterfell. The showrunners have made it pretty clear that they want to finish the series in 80 episodes. If they begin adapting TWOW towards the end of season 5 along with parts of ADWD, they'll be able to finish it and begin adapting ADOS sometime in season 7 with a big finish in season 8. Also, the timeline works out so that parts of TWOW happen during ADWD. For those of you worried about GRRM's pace, he has a free schedule from December to May so it's possible he'll have TWOW released next and he's already given the showrunners information on what happens. Also, I don't think he will taking a huge break between writing TWOW and ADOS like he did with ADWD and TWOW.

So we want a big, shocking event for S05E09, a game changer ocurring at the middle of ADwD or in the middle-end of AFFC. And preferably something involving at least one important character with which the audience does relate. I have two candidates:

The downfall of Cersei Lannister, that's the episode in which she could have her rug pulled out from under her feet, seeing all her schemes failing as she is imprisoned by the High Sparrow.

Alternatively or in the same episode we could have the great revelation that the Young Griff is (or claims to be) Aegon VI, the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne. And their boat could be attacked by the stone men and Tyrion's apparent death -- bonus points if he doesn't appear in episode 10 and people have to wait until Season 6 to know that the Imp is alive.

So we want a big, shocking event for S05E09, a game changer ocurring at the middle of ADwD or in the middle-end of AFFC. And preferably something involving at least one important character with which the audience does relate. I have two candidates:

The downfall of Cersei Lannister, that's the episode in which she could have her rug pulled out from under her feet, seeing all her schemes failing as she is imprisoned by the High Sparrow.

Alternatively or in the same episode we could have the great revelation that the Young Griff is (or claims to be) Aegon VI, the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne. And their boat could be attacked by the stone men and Tyrion's apparent death -- bonus points if he doesn't appear in episode 10 and people have to wait until Season 6 to know that the Imp is alive.

Or see the casting information

That's a bit early for 5X09. I don't think they can get to that until 6X10.

They have already cast Hizdar and Bronze Yohn Royce for season 4. If ever anyone needed proof that AFFC and ADWD were going to be mostly done by the end of season 5, there it is.

They are starting with a big chunk of stuff in season 4 for Dany and Sansa. They can't draw out 3 seasons of Sansa in the Vale, sorry. (Unless they do massive re-writes, that is)

To the OP, I think episode 5x09 will definitely include Dany flying off on Drogon, Cersei's walk of shame, and Jon getting the pink letter. It could also include the revelation of Arya as a warg (cat in rafters) and the battle at Mereen.

Then, 5x10 could include Cersei being meek to Kevan before he dies, Dany's wandering the sea until she runs into company, and Jon's dagger trouble. Maybe we will see the conclusion of the Mereen battle, whatever that may be.

Then we see Kevan highlighted more in season 4. I don't think introducing him and then killing him in season 5 will have an impact. The audiance won't care that he's dead. They could end season 5 with him, Pycele, and Varys, but then make season 5 more of the Kevan/Cersei conflict over Tommen's Regency, and make Cersei's fall the story of season 6. (More so if she thinks it was Tyrion who offed Kevan, that will truly drive her mad).

One event that should be in 5X09 is Darkstar's attack on Myrcella. They will have all of the fifth season to build up the Dorne storyline.

I don't know what they are going to do with Meereen. If Yunkai takes on the function of Meereen, then the dragons will be bound by the end of 4, and Daznak's Pit happens in 5X09. That puts the battle of Yunkai (Meereen) for the first part of 6. However, Meereen could still be part of the show and they could offer a truce/alliance by marriage. The imprisonment of the dragons could still happen at the end of 4, though.

That would mean a quick journey for Tyrion, though!

They are filming in a different location with Daenerys this year, so there will be Meereen. 5x09 should not have the attack on Myrcella. That should probably be 5x04-5x06, because we need to have "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood." after that, followed by Quentyn in Meereen, but probably not his journey. Maybe The Dragontamer, the Meereenese coup, and Cersei's Fall in 5x09, with Daznak's Pit in 5x08. The Wildlings crossing the Wall for 5x07 and The Pink Letter and Jon's Speech in 5x08. Maybe 5x09 would be Battle of Winterfell too and "For the Watch" as well.

They are filming in a different location with Daenerys this year, so there will be Meereen. 5x09 should not have the attack on Myrcella. That should probably be 5x04-5x06, because we need to have "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood." after that, followed by Quentyn in Meereen, but probably not his journey. Maybe The Dragontamer, the Meereenese coup, and Cersei's Fall in 5x09, with Daznak's Pit in 5x08. The Wildlings crossing the Wall for 5x07 and The Pink Letter and Jon's Speech in 5x08. Maybe 5x09 would be Battle of Winterfell too and "For the Watch" as well.

On TV the battle for Winterfell and Theon's TWOW sample chapter will have to happen before Jon gets the pink letter because the events are being adapted chronologically.

Yes. ^This, more or less.

Possible, but I think this will happen earlier ! I see it as the mid-season cliffhanger (ala Dracarys).

Walk of Shame should be more in-time for the 5x09.

One event that should be in 5X09 is Darkstar's attack on Myrcella. They will have all of the fifth season to build up the Dorne storyline.

True, it will be a very interesting story arc to see. Very curious to see how they'll develop all of this and when !

I hope they do a fake-out in S4 - let the Oberyn/Gregor be in E8, leading people to believe Tyrion is doomed to execution in E9... only for him to kill Tywin and escape instead. E10 then shows him either on a boat, or arriving in Pentos.

I doubt so... well, I agree, Viper and Mountain should be episode 8... but episode 9 might be fully dedicated to the Battle at the Wall... leaving Tyrion hanging out until we meet him again in 10.

I'm feeling the Battle between Stannis and the Boltons in the Snow and Daznak's Pit in Episode 9 of Season 5. End with Danaerys riding on Drogon over the city, over the landscape, and far away – and cut as she flies straight into the screen. Epic cheese to the max. Episode 10 could have Cersei's walk of shame, the immediate fallout of Danaerys being gone from Meereen, and also Jon being most honourably stabbed by Brutus and buds.

Will S5E9 be too early for Jon to get Julius Caesar'd?

It depends on what D&D want to do. If they want to get through all of Feast and Dance by the end of season 5 then no, it is not too early. However, if they want to finish Feast and Dance in season 6 then it is far too early. Either way, though, I always pictured that as being a season ending moment, not an episode 9 moment.

For Jon's storyline, at least, I think they are planning to finish it in season 6. We know that the siege of the Wall will be the episode 9 moment of season 4, which means that the election will likely be pushed back to the start of season 5. To have all of his ADwD material + the election in one season seems a bit much. Also, the news of Locke joining the Night's Watch makes me think that they are planning to expand upon Janos and Alliser's scheming with Locke as a third co-conspirator. So my prediction is:

5A - election and Jon establishing his rule

5B - Stannis interactions and dealing with the scheming

6A - treating with the Wildlings, setting up Hardhome

6B - dealing with the Karstarks and meddling in the affairs of the realm, with him getting Caesar'd closing out the season.

Anyway, with the assumption that the season 5 will end roughly where AFfC does (ie around halfway through ADwD), and that season 6 will be a mix of the remaining ADwD material and the start of TWoW, the events I could see taking place in s05e09 are:

- Cersei's arrest.

- Brienne vs Rorge

- the Skagos reveal

- possibly the Jeyne-Ramsay wedding (although I think it would be better in the first few episodes of season 6)

- possibly the Janos beheading

Archived