[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Tyrion wasn't cruel to Sansa before their wedding, he even told her she could marry Lancel if she wanted and she said no. It was just a total surprise for her, she didn't want to kneel because she felt she didn't have to since it was her wedding. Also in the books, when Tyrion says they don't have to have sex until she wants to she says "what if I never want to?" in a mean way right? I think it would have been better for the viewers if she didn't kneel and later Tyrion asks why and she says "It was my wedding I shouldn't have to kneel if I don't want to," it might have made the audience feel bad for her. But I understand why they did what they did.

I love the books.... but I am no Purist. Purists clearly need to pay attention to the episode. Sansa saw Joffrey, that maniacal little prick, take the stool away from Tyrion. She stood there fully aware the stool was taken away... knowing Tyrion couldn't reach with the cloak.... hearing the crowd laughing at Tyrion... and she kept her back turned to him. It was only when Tyrion tugged on her like umm hey please kneel down that she actually obliged. Then later he mentioned consummation and she breaks out the alcohol (which she only drinks when it is necessary). Then she goes on to say what if she never wants him in her bed and watches him pass out. Maybe she wasn't a blatant bitch about it but as far as I saw she knew very well Tyrion was being laughed at and stood her ground until he pleaded. Relax purists!

That episode was dynamite! I'd call it my favorite from Season 3 so far; it gets us back on track after two mediocre episodes. Here's what I loved

* Lots of choice dialogue straight from the book, especially during the wedding scene and during Dany's parley with the Second Sons. The Stannis/Davos conversation in the cell was fairly faithful to similar conversations from the book.

* Lots of clever little winks and nods (as well as a meta-conversation about winking itself); I love that Dany is struggling with the same Dothraki phrase that Irri was trying to teach her in Season 1. Some cool foreshadowing too. Note that after Melisandre burns the leeches they cut straight to Joffrey drinking a cup of wine. I love it! In the tub scene, there may also have been a bit of teasing/foreshadowing of forthcoming scenes involving Missandei "serving" Dany.

* Lots of good old-fashioned GoT nudity. How ravishing was Carice van Houten in the Gendry sex scene! It boggles my mind that some people think she's not sexy enough to play Melisandre. In my book, it was the hottest scene so far in the entire series. And how beautiful was Dany rising from the tub, as a show of strength, which is a callback to Gwen Christie's scene in episode 5. She looked fierce and incredible. And it puts the rumors to rest that Emilia Clarke somehow takes herself too seriously to show T&A (as falsely reported in articles like this): http://www.telegraph...ess-scenes.html

* Dany and Daario already have great chemistry, which is important

* Mero's boorishness was over-the-top and hilarious

* Sam the fucking slayer! I will agree with those, however, who complain that it takes away from his slayer-ness that his Brothers weren't around to see the deed. Who will believe him?? and how fucking cool were the raven and weirwood shots! That ought to please a lot of book purists.

* Even the biggest departure from the books was handled well and believably, with Melisandre reluctantly agreeing not to kill the bastard (Gendry instead of Edric) for now and just sacrificing the leeches instead

So excited for the last two episodes!

Edited by Khal Pono

Were those birds on the weirwood near Sam a reference to Bloodraven, or was I imagining it?

It's close to what happened in the book. The birds attacked the wights while Sam and Gilly ran to Coldhands. One bird, very likely Mormont's raven, tells Sam to run. Now who was behind that is the question. ;)

Not really all they have to do is when Sam is telling the story of how he and Gilly escaped, have Gilly jump in and say," And Sam kill an other with dragonglass!" then have Green be like "oh, Sam the slayer"

Yes, because all the brothers of the Night's Watch would believe in a wildling girl's mad tales without batting an eye.

Edited by Ser_Patreck

Also, viewers would've hated Sansa for it

That's why you establish why she did it, and why it's a strong, defiant moment for her.

Some people will still not understand, of course, because there were any number of sexist idiots who thought she was just being mean to her forced-husband in the books.

If Sansa wouldn't kneel, it would've just insulted Tyrion and gave pleasure to other Lannisters (sans Tywin). Stupid point to nitpick about. Also, viewers would've hated Sansa for it, and quite frankly after next weeks episode, they'll need to cling to all the Stark love they can.

Maybe, they could actually try writing the scenario and characters in a manner that resembles the actual books thus allowing it to make sense and be an understandable reaction instead of continuing to write AU FF for Tyrion.

Now that the episode has aired, I can say that, in my opinion, they quite blatantly chickened out on the entire Sansa/Tyrion story. There were obvious production reasons why it wasn't going to be exactly like the books, but essentially every creative choice they made in relation to it was aimed at sanding all the rough edges off it so that none of the major actors (apart from the show's go-to asshole, Joffrey, and I guess Tywin) would come off looking bad. In the process, they reduced one of the most harrowing parts of the third book to a limp noodle, dramatically.

Tyrion was her least-cruel jailer, but he was her jailer nonetheless.

Agreed except on one point. As she was taking off her dress, Tyron CLEARLY was looking at her with lust. I'm glad that they at least added that wrinkle to the scene. Tyron isn't some kind of saint.

Yes, because all the brothers of the Night's Watch would believe in a wildling girl's mad tales without batting an eye.

What reason do they have to disbelieve Sam and Gilly other than it gives you an excuse to complain about something? Sure they'll be surprised and skeptical at first but ultimately Sam has no reason to make it up since he's quite honest about his cowardice and Gilly has no reason to lie whatsoever.

The only thing I want to nitpick over is when Cersei tells Margaery about "The Rains of Castamere". Cersei references to seeing the corpses hang above Casterly Rock, but in the books, she was not even born yet. House Reyne and Tarbeck were annihilated in 260AL and Jamie + Cersei were born in 266AL.

lol well it goes by SO fast...I had to try pausing like a dozen times to get it. Looks like he's running or dancing or something, very jovial, surrounded by 3 or 4 girls.

It's the bedding. He's being carried by the ladies to his wedding night.