[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

You keep ignoring the fact the the Night's Watch isn't about to take a wildling on her word and that even Sam's friend's can hold a reasonable doubt about him killing an Other, a feat few know to be possible.

Plus, he needs more than his friends to believe him. He needs the Watch to believe him. That's part of the pull he uses to convince the other commanders vote for Jon Snow.

I have no problems with the seires changing. I'm just pointing out that this is a great change, not a tiny one, and that it kinda sucks for Sam also, since I believe his fame was a great confidence booster for him.

I'm not ignoring anything. You're ignoring the fact that Sam is not a liar and even if they don't trust wildlings his story is still corroborated. He'll also explain why anybody would ever bury the dragon glass since they know a brother hid them for a reason. It's just so obvious that they will believe him, why wouldn't he just fucking say he slew it with a sword if he wanted to seem like a hero which he very clearly never tries to be.

If it was just about his blood I am confident Mel could have tied him up and leeched him without doing him first. She is a witch.

Maybe she just thought he was a hottie and wanted to tap dat ass.

He is a bastard living in the slums and on the run at one point then prisoner at another. Let's be honest... he's a young guy. Very easy to manipulate a young guy when sex is involved lol. Look at HBO's whole M.O. with this show.... nudity & sex for a lot of scenes (although not as much as some people make it seem). Passion is powerful, lust is mesmerizing.

PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention, since I despise typing in all caps, please note:

Tyrion was never really Hand of the King. Tywin was. Tywin, as Hand, named Tyrion as his proxy because Tywin was off fighting the war.

TYRION WAS NEVER HAND, AND NEVER HAD POWER OVER TYWIN!

I love the books.... but I am no Purist. Purists clearly need to pay attention to the episode. Sansa saw Joffrey, that maniacal little prick, take the stool away from Tyrion. She stood there fully aware the stool was taken away... knowing Tyrion couldn't reach with the cloak.... hearing the crowd laughing at Tyrion... and she kept her back turned to him. It was only when Tyrion tugged on her like umm hey please kneel down that she actually obliged. Then later he mentioned consummation and she breaks out the alcohol (which she only drinks when it is necessary). Then she goes on to say what if she never wants him in her bed and watches him pass out. Maybe she wasn't a blatant bitch about it but as far as I saw she knew very well Tyrion was being laughed at and stood her ground until he pleaded. Relax purists!

Exactly, she made her point. Any further and the audience would have hated her. I thought it was handled well.

Tyrion was hand for the entire aCoK thus could have accepted Robb's offers regarding trading Sansa for his cousin anytime then. Tyrion has free will and the ability to speak his mind there is no reason he couldn't have said no to Tywin.

Yeah, it's not like Cersei, Littlefinger and Varys have spies that would outmaneuver Tyrion the instant he decided to take this politically flawless decision, amirite?

I am a self proclaimed book purists, but I didn't have a probelm with this at all. I agree with everything you just said. And I'm ready for them to make a separate thread about this now.

I was just discussing this with my bf. Totally unnecessary and uncomfortable to watch, especially since Genrdy is technically supposed to be a kid still. I see why they had him grow that ridiculous goatee now...

> lol the forums have already been in uproar about the Sansa scene.

> as far as the Gendry scene... let's be realistic. Those times were heavily sexually driven. Whores & bastards galore... medieval times weren't as prude to those themes as we are now watching on TV. Sex sells, and apparently sex calms before leechings.

I'm not ignoring anything. You're ignoring the fact that Sam is not a liar and even if they don't trust wildlings his story is still corroborated. He'll also explain why anybody would ever bury the dragon glass since they know a brother hid them for a reason. It's just so obvious that they will believe him, why wouldn't he just fucking say he slew it with a sword if he wanted to seem like a hero which he very clearly never tries to be.

Yeah. You think the NIght's Watch is composed of noble and decent and, above all, reasonable fellows. I get that. I rest my case.

> as far as the Gendry scene... let's be realistic. Those times were heavily sexually driven. Whores & bastards galore... medieval times weren't as prude to those themes as we are now watching on TV. Sex sells, and apparently sex calms before leechings.

Indeed....she LITERALLY got his blood UP. :P

Tyrion was hand for the entire aCoK thus could have accepted Robb's offers regarding trading Sansa for his cousin anytime then. Tyrion has free will and the ability to speak his mind there is no reason he couldn't have said no to Tywin.

It was not in his family's interest to trade Sansa to Robb. Throughout aCoK he was still loyal to his family. Therefore it would have been totally out of character for him to do so. Unlike Robb, Tyron is smart enough to realized that Robb could construct an alliance with a powerful family by giving his sister's hand in marriage. dhu. so why would Tyron do something so ridiculous as trade her to the Starks??

Exactly, she made her point. Any further and the audience would have hated her. I thought it was handled well.

I agree. That scene was done very well for how the show is. Show Tyrion is a much more beloved character than book Tyrion and Sansa's situation may be forgotten from when she used to be Joff's torture pet. If the scene was done like the books she would seem far too bitchy.

Same here. It matched perfectly with the naive character with delusions of strength that Sansa is on the show. This is Show Sansa not Book Sansa. She IS more sympathetic. She is NOT a bitch. It would be a continuity issue if she ended up not kneeling as a display of contempt.

Yeah. You think the NIght's Watch is composed of noble and decent and, above all, reasonable fellows. I get that. I rest my case.

Pyp, Grenn, Sam, Jon, and Edd are all pretty much good guys and friends. They will believe Sam, and people will believe them. Some people might not but who the fuck cares? We only know like 5 characters from the wall that aren't dead.

It was not in his family's interest to trade Sansa to Robb. Throughout aCoK he was still loyal to his family. Therefore it would have been totally out of character for him to do so. Unlike Robb, Tyron is smart enough to realized that Robb could construct an alliance with a powerful family by giving his sister's hand in marriage. dhu. so why would Tyron do something so ridiculous as trade her to the Starks??

How does that change the fact that he was willing jailor of her? Or is it okay to keep an innocent imprisoned if you think it is good for your family and thus that prisoner doesn't have a right to complain?

Edited by Minsc

I am going to go along with this explanation, true or not, because I can think of no other reason why this was included (minus hbo's apparent nudity quota).

On another note, Aww at my Onion Knight learning to read!

Indeed....she LITERALLY got his blood UP. :P

lol exactly. Just like with the Theon... As a male... many, not so much me my girl would have my head, men tend to lose sight of reality & common sense when sex is involved. Theon trapped with a lunatic in a dungeon when 2 random whores appear... Yeah that sounds logical. However... the little head thinks for the big head. Same thing for the Mel scene. The way she made it play out I am pretty sure non-book readers saw her and thought that she was just an absolute sexual freak tying people up. That's why it wasn't a 2 second scene.... because a lamb that is stressed & suspects what is to come winds up tainted & toxic.