[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

That was a Reading Rainbow moment... with Targ undertones which I liked.

Lmao! You so went old school on me!

I watched this episode at a bar viewing party and found myself all alone screaming, "SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAYER!" at the end of the episode. There were a lot of funny looks. :dunce: I LOVED the scene with the Titan's Bastard, I take it from his head that he won't be back for Mhysa...

I want to go to a bar viewing party for the show! :(

Most TV viewers probably would not have seen Sansa's refusal to kneel as a sign of defiance to the Lannisters in general. They likely would have thought, "Wow, what a bitch. I hate her even more now."

EXACTLY! I don't know why people aren't getting this.

My one big problem (I finally thought of one) with this episode, is that the mercenary group (merged) should have been called the Storm Crows to leave room for the Second Sons to enter as one hired by the slave cities and then hooking up with Tyrion. It would have at least given them the freedom to include both.

:agree:

I've read up to page 9 of the comments and I'm a little suprised that the Stannis/Davos/Melisandre scenes aren't getting the credit they're due. We finally got to see a well done scene between Davos and Stannis that shows the fantastic relationship that exists in the book. Season 2 never captured it, the scene on the boat where he's named Hand was done quickly and stressed more why Davos is referred to as the onion knight andbwhy Stannis knighted him. The dungeon seen tonight showed how Stannis recognizes he needs our Onion Knight's counsel. That even after Stannis' royal pardo Davos still threw in a jab at Melisandre with "I'll still speak against her" was icing on the cake!!!

Dragonstone for the win tonight!

That one awesome scene was totally overshadowed by that weird sex scene with mel and gendry. then stannis and davos walked in and watched. wtf.

Random, but my goodness Dany and Daario make such a beautiful couple. :drool: Now that daario is around, i wonder if they will keep the handmaiden scene lol.

I dunno if anyone else mentioned this, or if I'm just imagining it, but I'm pretty sure the Olenna scene teasing Loras about being Marg's father-in-law was her subtly trying to sway him to choose the White over marrying Cersei. I thought the show did a great job contrasting her method of getting her (grand)children to do what she wants (have Loras take the White, but not bc Tywin ordered it, to get out of marrying Cersei), with Tywin's method of yelling at Tyrion to "do his duty" in the bedroom (which he didn't end up doing anyway). It was subtle, but clever, IMHO.

They want to avoid what happened last year because of Memorial Day (it's an American holiday) next week.

Memorial Day is the unofficial beginning of summer here in the states, and it's around the time school gets out for a lot of kids. People go out and do stuff.

As stated above, ratings plunged during Season 2's most exciting episode, due to the holiday weekend. But they're not going to allow an American holiday to disrupt the Red Wedding.

Edited by Khal Pono

I dunno if anyone else mentioned this, or if I'm just imagining it, but I'm pretty sure the Olenna scene teasing Loras about being Marg's father-in-law was her subtly trying to sway him to choose the White over marrying Cersei. I thought the show did a great job contrasting her method of getting her (grand)children to do what she wants (have Loras take the White, but not bc Tywin ordered it, to get out of marrying Cersei), with Tywin's method of yelling at Tyrion to "do his duty" in the bedroom (which he didn't end up doing anyway). It was subtle, but clever, IMHO.

Yeah I can see that. They aren't going to end up going through with the Cersei/Loras thing, so they need some way to keep people wondering while biding for time and ending up at the same place, with Cersei single and Loras in the White.

If it was just about his blood I am confident Mel could have tied him up and leeched him without doing him first. She is a witch.

Maybe she just thought he was a hottie and wanted to tap dat ass.

That would have been my thinking, if I were her. He IS a hottie.

This might seem weird, but the Melisandre and Gendry is the first risque scene in this show I liked. From Dany and Drogo to Theon and friends, I never felt comfortable with any of the sex scenes. They looked hot together . . .

EDIT: I lied, Jon and Ygritte was good too.

Liked the wedding. done very well.

It doesn't seem like much happened this episode but I didn't feel bored watching it.

Edited by Targaryen Tempest

I thought the whole work up to this was one of the best workarounds the producers have contrived so far. Cersei or the White was a great way to develop Loras and Cersei, Tywin's relationship to his children, the iron fist he is using to keep King's Landing in check and develop Lady Olenna's character while still moving the plot forward. I have been paying very close attention to these scenes since Willas dropped out. They're great adaptation work and GREAT TV!

Edit: Oh, did I mention how much I loved the short scene with Cersei and Loras? How else would an independent woman with children react to her young, naive, queer, and unwilling fiance?? :bowdown:

Edited by Lily Valley

> lol the forums have already been in uproar about the Sansa scene.

> as far as the Gendry scene... let's be realistic. Those times were heavily sexually driven. Whores & bastards galore... medieval times weren't as prude to those themes as we are now watching on TV. Sex sells, and apparently sex calms before leechings.

Actually, sex excites before leechings! lol didn't you hear Mel's comment about how much blood he had?

I think this must have been the first time I ever saw Arya smile.

If someone would've told me 2 episodes ago the Hound was going to achieve the miracle, I would've never believed it.

And speaking of miracles, neat little trick Melisandre used to convince Davos. Didn't work on the book, I don't see how it would work on the show.

If you ask me, Sam has done more against the terrors the night is full of than Stannis or Dany did in this episode.

Edited by silentwanderer

Sansa should NOT have knelt.. but douche Joff took the stepstool away, and no Dontos so... well she did kneel, out of pity. It wasn't well conveyed on screen. Shae checking the sheets.. eeww, nasty. Now 2 weeks until the next episode.. how come?

I think she was looking for blood, not... other things. It used to be customary to display bloody sheets after a wedding night to prove the virginity of the bride, since usually they bleed the first time. That's how I took her looking, anyway.

Sansa should NOT have knelt.. but douche Joff took the stepstool away, and no Dontos so... well she did kneel, out of pity. It wasn't well conveyed on screen. Shae checking the sheets.. eeww, nasty. Now 2 weeks until the next episode.. how come?

Memorial day week end, it hurt them last year in the ratings I believe.