[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

No, she was talking to Margaery.

Your brother will be your father-in-law without a question, or something along those lines.

They spent half the dinner talking about how Margaery's children would be her brothers's grandchildern as well as nieces and nephews. And Loras's children being Margaery's brothers and sisters in law (as well as her nieces and nephews).

Edited by silentwanderer

I think the choice regarding Sansa kneeling was handled fine. She had to notice Joffers taking away the stool. She was subtle about not meekly falling in line--as in, Tyrion had to ask her. But there's a difference between showing some passive defiance and being cruel. She was smart enough to look a little "Oh, me? Sorry didn't realize." It reminded me of the musical Elisabeth; the title character gets what she wants by cold-shouldering her husband until he talks to her as an equal and compromises on certain things.

I liked a S1 callback -- Tyrion tells her he'll never hurt her. That's what Joff said. No duh she doesn't trust him. It dovetailed nicely into her "What if I never want you?" She wasn't being callous, she was challenging him, as in "Will you actually keep your word?" Sure she doesn't want to boff him, but I thought it was more nuanced than that.

LOL I need to get a GIF of Tywin's expression when she walks down the aisle. The going-to-hell part of me was captioning it "Damn, I shouldn't have given her to Tyrion."

I loved Arya and the Hound's scene. The Hound sounded so adorable. "Where do you think I'm taking you?" That was twenty kinds of cute. I wonder if we're going to get Burrito Arya, when he wraps her up to keep her from escaping. Oh, and Stranger was perfectly cast physique wise. He's not a heavy destrier type at all.

Davos reading a children's book was so cute too. And they did their scene sooo well. I loved the way he delivered "You could've come to me yesterday or tomorrow, this is why you came today."

I. enjoyed. every. second.

I notice a lot of people watch the show with their moms and complain about the sex scenes making them uncomfortable. try watching it alone.

I've been noticing this too. It's the strangest complaint in the world. D&D shouldn't have to accommodate the "I watch blood letting and mayhem with my mother, and that's okay, but we're not comfortable with our sexuality, so please stop showing it" demographic. I know we're all nerds and all, but Jesus Christ people. Don't lay your weird hang ups and insecurities at HBO's doorstep. The double standard and hypocrisy is absurd. GRRM himself has complained about readers who dislike the sex but somehow ignore the violence.

lol well it goes by SO fast...I had to try pausing like a dozen times to get it. Looks like he's running or dancing or something, very jovial, surrounded by 3 or 4 girls.

That must be the bedding. Remember that Edmure was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful his bride to be looked. And they were already quite in love (or Edmure atleast was) right between RW unfolded.

What I liked:

• the Hound-Arya dialogue
  • Daario casting
  • the wedding scene (amazing acting from Peter Dinklage)
  • Sam the Slayer (finally)
  • Davos struggling to read Targaryen names
  • Stannis meeting Gendry
  • Stanni's interaction with Davos

What I didn't like:

• Cersei bitter and unsubtle exchange with Margaery
  • the fact that Daario sneaked up so easily on Dany

Some people are comfortable watching sex scenes because the idea of two people having sex or being nude doesn't frighten the altar boy in us. I don't understand this pretend higher moral ground some posters have where nudity is supposed to only be shown when its 100% necessary.

I have no problem with nudity on screen or in life, as long as I find the subjects attractive ;) Yet, I understand the complaint that instead of telling the story we have come to know, at times the show blocks segments seemingly just to have sex scenes. When parts of the story go untold simply to show some boob, it plays as juvenile. Again, I would have no problem with those type of scenes if story wasn't sacrificed for its existence.

We are all born nude you know... We shower nude.... we have sex nude (typically). This is an HBO series. ASOIAF has a lot of sexual themes in it. I am fully with you in not understanding why people get so uptight at the end of season 3 because of nudity. This is ASOIAF on HBO.... there are lots of non nude shows on channels like ABC Family & Nickelodeon that are available.

The Mel scene was drawn out because she made the point that she wanted to make sure he didn't suspect anything. Clearly he didn't.

I'm not 'uncomfortable' with it, I think sex and nudity is fine on screen. The complaints about sex typically aren't about how inappropriate the sex was, they're about how you shouldn't just fill a show with sex that doesn't serve the plot. If a sex scene is completely unnecessary, I would prefer it to be replaced by something that actually advances the plot or comes from the books.

Nice the nod Marge gave Sansa considering the Tyrells were not invited in the book...

Ooh....the Maiden Cloak scene....

Nooooooo.......I wanted Tyrion on the fool's back!

They werent at the breakfast but they were at the wedding

Ok, this will be my last comment on this because I dont feel like getting bogged down into a lame debate where clearly neither party will change their mind.

Tyrion did some things where Sansa was concerned that yes, were not in her best interests, but sometimes people just dont have the courage or the strength to make the right choices. People, even good people, have weaknesses. Clearly, where Tywin Lannister is concerned, Tyrion has some "issues". So, yes, he does have free will and he did make some bad choices, but I never believed for one instant that Tyrion had bad intentions toward Sansa, ever. Not while he was Hand, not when they married, and not on their wedding night. Tywin, Cersei, and Joff clearly did. Thats the difference between the Lannisters in the books. For me.

Fin

:)

Just to clarify, if you re-read Tyrions chapters from ASOS, there are numerous occasions where his inner monologue thinks that marrying Sansa would be a good thing for him because she's "comely" and in time, hopefully, would make him Lord of Winterfell, and his heir, future Lord. Tyrion has always had ambition, and lust, both of which appealed to him to be ok with the Sansa wedding. While i agree he did not have much of a choice, and protesting to Tywin might have been impossible, i doubt Tyrion would have chosen otherwise anyway.

What I did not like:

-Mel’s work here had the “worst of both worlds” effect in that she said she was going to be subtle with Gendry saying he never will see the blade… and then she shows him the “blade” (in the form of leeches) AND it needlessly makes Stannis out to be a HUGE asshole and for no reason. In the books, its his own blood, but now it’s Gendry’s and for no really good reason. Why do we need another reason to dislike Stannis?

Again.

Not sure what this means. Mel did Edric with leeches before and did want to kill him. Not Stannis' blood. Remember he was being leeched for some malady?

> lol the forums have already been in uproar about the Sansa scene.

> as far as the Gendry scene... let's be realistic. Those times were heavily sexually driven. Whores & bastards galore... medieval times weren't as prude to those themes as we are now watching on TV. Sex sells, and apparently sex calms before leechings.

I think she wants him to make more Smoke Monster babies - or I thought so - right up until the leech on his d*ck. Now he's just lustful and terrified. Interesting combination.

I was sad how much they changed the Sansa/Tyrion wedding from the book. The initial impact came from the fact Sansa found out just as she was getting dressed by Cersei's maids so she was in shock and had to go to the sept straight away.

And what was wrong with Tyrion's line- "that's why they have whores for men like me" (or a line somewhat like that)? Would it have hurt to have just kept that line in?

Edited by Nymeria_Snow

I don't like marg or cercei but that scene was freaking awesome, sly marg thinking she's talking to naive sansa then *burn* the look on her face was priceless.

For me, it was the opposite. In the books, I feel like Cersei would never threat anyone openly(unless inferiors) like the way she did. She can be mean and egocentric but don't forget she is also intelligent and intuitive. A threat like that ("If you ever call me sister again I will have you strangled in your sleep") don't fit Cersei`s Character.