[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

I really enjoyed this episode, I liked the scene between Arya and the Hound although he seemed...sweeter to her than he was in the books. Tyrion drunk was pretty funny, and his threat to Joffrey was very well done. The White Walker looked great as it died, glad we finally saw Sam the slayer.

One thing im confused about, Darrio killed the Titan's bastard right? So that means Dany wont be attacked in the camp?

They did great with Jon scenes in season 1.

I think people are underestimating how difficult shooting must have been in Iceland. Unbearably cold, few hours of daylight so they had less takes per scene plus they had less screentime to give overall to Jon's story.

Jon's story was immediately better in episode 7 once he was below the wall again and I don't think it just has to do with GRRM's script. I think Jon's story will be great in episodes 9 and 10 and his scenes will be good in season 4 as well.

Liked:

-Cersei telling the story of 'Rains of Castamere' to Margaery and Cersei ignoring Loras... I'm loving how Lena's playing Cersei's bitchiness...

-Sam killing the whitewalker

-Stannis freeing Davos

-The Hound and Arya's conversation taken from the book

-Daario and Mero(the guy who was bad-mouthing Dany)... They're hot, :drool: especially the Mero guy and I like Daario in the book, mostly because he could talk back to arrogant Dany :)

-Tyrion and Joffrey clash at the wedding celebration

Disliked:

-Stannis having this tone of not-giving-a-fuck in sacrificing Gendry

-How cool Arya looks at Stranger's back.. shouldn't she suppose to be tied up so she couldn't flee? ...because Arya in the book wouldn't stay that cool when she's abducted

-how Sansa and Tyrion's wedding play out

-Joffrey taking the stool for Tyrion to stand on, making him look more pitiable

Is there a Robb/Catelyn scene? And Wendel Manderly is going to be shown in episode 9? Only now and we got loads of annoying Shae and Talisa scenes... I only watched the clips from youtube.. so it's most likely not the whole part..

I also think Kit Harington is a victim of the "Hayden Christensen" effect. Whereby an otherwise decent actor is made to look bad via a weak script or dialogue. Someone commented last week that the real "Jon" came back merely by George R R Martin taking over that episodes script. Why? Because he had some fire in his belly again and talked smack to both Oren and Ygritte.

I'm no literature major, but thats what makes a main character likeable is that the reader/audience can relate to him / her or have similar emotional reactions if placed in the same situation.

I really liked book Jon for that reason. He has a chip on his shoulder at the wall, and for good reason. He was considered the living embodiment of his father's dishonor his entire life, volunteered to go to the wall to live his entire life as a crow to regain some honor for his family, and STILL spends his days being judged by criminals and dumped on continuously by scumbags like Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt. Oh, and little prospects of getting laid too. But despite all this rage, he keeps his act together and does his duty. Thanklessly. No wonder Stannis and him get along so well.

My favorite part in all the books was the Janos Slynt execution scene. Jon gave him plenty of chances to save himself, but Janos sealed his own fate. He did it calmly , coolly and honorably even though he must have been PISSED at being publicly insulted in front of all his men.

Go Jon Go! (Major aside from the episode 3-08 thread topic)

Hayden Christensen is a terrible actor and it had nothing to do with Star Wars. He's not getting black listed for that script.

I've got no issue with how Kit portrays Jon. Jon Snow is a broody character in the first place who doesn't really come out of his shell until he's lord commander. I've thought he's been at his best when he steps up and challenges the wildlings, and that will only increase going forward as he dictates the NW.

The awkwardness and aggression at Tyrion’s wedding was delightful. I like how the show has emphasized the big culture clash between the Tyrells who are friendly, at least on the surface, and the more aggressive, callous Lannisters. Margery and Loras trying to talk to Cersei was delightful. The Tyrells do not want Loras to marry Cersei for all sorts of reasons, but they try a friendly approach. Cersei has no tolerance for their fake enthusiasm for the idea and firmly slaps them away.

Kinda funny how people have been complaining that Cersei has been too weak and wilty, then she shows her claws and people complain that she’s insufficiently subtle.

I also wondered if Loras’ bad mood had anything to do with his memories of scolding Renly for avoiding Margery. Now that he’s facing political marriage himself, he might feel more sympathy for Renly’s struggles. And maybe Loras pitied Sansa, or regretted losing the engagement to a pliable, polite bride?

Interesting speculation that Loras and Cersei might actually get married. That would be pretty fun to watch. And would give Loras a good motivation to run off to battle and get himself wounded. :) But I don’t think it will happen, I think Cersei or Loras will figure out how to get him appointed to the kingsguard to prevent it. Which would make Loras echo Jaime more strongly - I'm looking forward to their interactions.

It was fun to see Bronn waving to Sansa at the wedding, and later she had a chat with Varys. It would have been nice to see Lancel and Kevan – maybe that’s PW? Good to see Pycelle enjoying himself too.

Why is everybody more disturbed by the nudity than THE GODDAMN LEECH ON GENDRY'S PENIS?

Honestly my friend after last week's corrective surgery on Theon a leech on your junk seems about as bad as a case of blue balls.

I really enjoyed this episode, I liked the scene between Arya and the Hound although he seemed...sweeter to her than he was in the books.

They seemed two of a kind to me.

If I didn't know better, I could've swore this was a father and his daughter seeing how much they have in common for the first time.

Edited by silentwanderer

Can someon pls help me remember?

In this episode Stannins named all of those usurpers who will die, but while reading the books i never understood who it was that actually killed Joffrey.

Balon was killed by Melisandres ghost i think i have read?

Robb was killed by the Freys, cause of the betrayal and cause they complot with Lannister?

Did i miss who it was that killed Joffrey?

And please correct me if my facts are wrong!

/L

They seemed two of a kind to me.

If I didn't know better, I could've swore this was a father and his daughter seeing how much they have in common for the first time.

It was funny, people in the books actually mistook them for Father and daughter/son. They always seemed like a good team in the books with a lot of underlying emotions that really were never really explored.

And from the white walker's corpse, Sam found...a used dragonglass dagger and a note that read:

Congratulations Slayer, you have killed Bambooza McShattery the lvl 1 Other! You have now inherited his igloo, three sets of cold-proof loincloths, and a subscription to Miss Wight magazine! Enjoy your last days of living!

So hooray for Sam the Slayer scene... Now we won't see them again for ages (only mentioned) :(

I seriously wanted those ravens to caw out: You had one job Sam! One job!

Only scene I didn't like as much was the last of the Arya/Hound. The reveal that the Hound was taking her to the Twins seemed rather casual and needed more build up imo. =/

This. I always think of either Charlize or Diane Kruger when reading Cersei. She never has Lena's face, and I do think she's a good actress, but she's not the Cersei I imagined and still imagine.

There. So the other poster was perfectly entitled to say he does't like Headey's acting, since as you put it, to each their own. Geez.

As for Cersei's characterisation, and this is the writing, she has her moments. In the last episode she was great, during most of season 3 she's been a passive bore.

Maybe HBO couldn't afford either Charlize Theron or Diane Kruger. Maybe either actress didn't want to show their bits and pieces to the world, body double or not. A harsh truth is that HBO's casting department has to look long term to cast this major role in the series. I think Lena Headley is a great Cersei because she is not TOO beautiful to play the role she will have to play in Seasons 5/6/7(?)/ 8(?) That's right, I said it. This also allows her to be a credible "evil" character.

Sorry man, but Charlize Theron is just too good looking to have any chance at this. For instance, she's so good looking, that I had mostly "impure thoughts" about her character during most of her "serious" roles in Prometheus or Snow White. Sorry. Try make Kate Upton out to be a reviled female lead role in a movie. All the George Lucas CGI magic or Shakespearean film school won't help you.

Maybe I interpreted the book Cersie wrong, but Cersei is clearly depicted as haggard after her pennance walk. I suppose they could try doing the old hollywood trick of putting on glasses and a baggy sweater to make a gorgeous woman look "ugly", but I doubt the audience would buy it. Lena Headey is a great fit; she can play both beautiful and haggard roles without massive amounts of makeup (i.e. Monster) either way.

I guess Cersei is being passive because her side is mostly winning. Also because Tywin is directly calling the shots now. I dont see how Charlize Theron could be more dynamic this season given that until the recent marriage arrangement with Loras and short of Jamie coming back, she's gotten everything she's wanted.

Finally, buddy didn't say he didn't like her acting. He said her acting was atrocious. That is a huge difference and I called BS on it. It would be similar to someone here posting that Charlize Theron is a total 2/10 swamp donkey in terms of looks. Sure, anybody is entitled to say it. But its just not a serious, credible or accurate comment in any conceivable definition of those words.

In this episode Stannins named all of those usurpers who will die, but while reading the books i never understood who it was that actually killed Joffrey.

Robb was killed by the Freys, cause of the betrayal and cause they complot with Lannister?

/L

yes, guess you missed it. it was olenna, although littlefinger and presumably margery at least were in on it.

and its not for sure how balon dies. it could have been mel, but i think euron is the more likely culprit. or just an unlucky fall

when she says the same names, shes supposed to be seeing the future, not making it happen

I pray that GRRM kills off Mary Sue-Sansa soon so we can stop hearing from her fans.

because mary sues are always portrayed as shallow and vain

/L

LOL - Did you really read the books? I don't really want to spoil non-book readers, but you got all 3 wrong.

yes, guess you missed it. it was olenna, although littlefinger and presumably margery at least were in on it.

and its not for sure how balon dies. it could have been mel, but i think euron is the more likely culprit. or just an unlucky fall

when she says the same names, shes supposed to be seeing the future, not making it happen

because mary sues are always portrayed as shallow and vain

How she's portrayed doesn't seem to affect how her fans perceive her.

And I think there's pretty compelling evidence it was a faceless man that kills Balon, probably hired by Euron.

Haha ye i did, quite long ago though, and my english back then (or now aswell) maybe wasnt that good ;)

I plan to read them again when the release date is set for the sixth book.

Like i said, please correct me. Who was it then? I got the answers of Robb and Balon

Edit: Sorry for not qouting, my mobile is a bit ....

Edited by Laxen

Haha ye i did, quite long ago though, and my english back then (or now aswell) maybe wasnt that good ;)

I plan to read them again when the release date is set for the sixth book.

Like i said, please correct me. Who was it then? I got the answers of Robb and Balon

Olenna (the old lady) or Margaery (her granddaughter) hid poison in Sansa's hair jewelry and dropped some into Joffreys wine. Whether framing Tyrion and Sansa was intentional or not is an open question. Littlefinger was involved in the plot.

Olenna (the old lady) or Margaery (her granddaughter) hid poison in Sansa's hair jewelry and dropped some into Joffreys wine. Whether framing Tyrion and Sansa was intentional or not is an open question. Littlefinger was involved in the plot.

Tnx! Sorry again, i should have written that i didnt got the answer of Robb.

Loved this episode! i think mostly because of the lay out. Keeping it between three locations and being only book ended by others felt right.

- The Stannis and Davos stuff was great both actors gave a a great performance

- I loved Darrio, in the small sample size its clear he has the swagger, hes blade hilts also where as imagined.

- More strong stuff from Emlia Clarke, shes killing it this season

- Drunk Tyrion was something legendary for the show, ive never laughed so hard.

- Also strong stuff from Sophie Turner i like Sansa more on the show

- Lastly the Killing of the White Walker was tense and fantastic