[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

Can hardly believe how Stannis casted a leech into the fire and stated Balon Greyjoy's name. I know this is the way it was in the book but on the show the Greyjoys have become so irrelevant that it doesn't matter.

Also dislike the way the show in general seems to almost ignore the events of the war instead focusing on the minor events of each character.

Its very easy for the casual viewer to forget there is a war going on and who or what is being fought over.

If the show were to include even a little of Asha's exploits possibly the Greyjoys would be relevant but they screwing themselves in future seasons by not including the Greyjoys now.

Yeah I was imagining the audience going "who?" after Balon's leech was burned

Actually, judging by the synopsis for the season finale, it looks like all three kings will fall this season.

Wow really?? RW AND PW? Kind of leaves the second half of Book 3 lacking in something to do for next season. Well, if so I am sure they will come up with something. Theon still has his toes.

I'm sorry if someone else brought this up, but did HBO ever explain why they made the White Walkers look so different from the books? Martin describes them as almost alien like, graceful, and clad in strange armor. HBO has them looking like zombies.

This is what GRRM told an artist who was depicting GoT as a comic:

'The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the
made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.'

Actually, judging by the synopsis for the season finale, it looks like all three kings will fall this season.

What makes you say that from reading this? Unless there's some other one?

“Mhysa” synopsis:

Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

He didn't say that people don't have a right to voice their complaints. He was asking how long people would keep complaining about the same thing. You'd think people either get fed up with something and stop watching, or get used to it. Of course some people seem to take great delight in being negative so that part of course play against that. Critics are different since they get paid and are forced to review a lot of things, which of course means that they have two reasons fans don't have to keep doing it. As for people thinking that Ros was the reason for the nudity, that wasn't particularly bright. There has consistently been plenty of other nudity than her (especially this season where she wasn't nude at all), and while there might be a little more of some nudity nothing is as detailed as it sometimes gets in the books. I think this should have been expected by everyone that thought it through.

As for Boardwalk Empire, I haven't seen that but I'd say that the 1920s America was pretty uptight about such things. That's hardly the case of many places in Westeros and Essos, nor was it in Rome, which in turn gave the kind of HBO show named so. It always felt very obvious to me that Rome would be the closest analogy to GoT when it came to TV shows.

And to think that our voices about season 2 affected much how Dany was treated in this season seems like wishful thinking. There are quite obvious differences in her storylines in ACoK and ASoS. Season 2 had a lot of changes since they wanted to do something more active than her storyline in ACoK, while ASoS has plenty of action (although few chapters) that translates very well as it is. Still this week's episode had a lot of differences from the novel, so your claim that it's "incredibly true" is weirdly timed.

As for your last sentence he didn't tell anyone to stop. And just because people are free to express their opinions as they like doesn't mean that people in turn can't question questionable behavior.

Yes, but the changes they made are not changes, they are condensations. It is obvious that they cannot include every detail. Arya being Tywin's cupbearer made sense to condense the story into the given episode/time limit. Combining the mercenary groups is necessary as well. The plot has not changed, the minor details have. Trying to sell me on Second Sons' changes being even remotely similar to the Quarth changes is plain naive.

And no, he did not say to stop complaining because he phrased it in a different way. If you want to defend him, become a lawyer because the his statement was clearly critical of viewers who complain about nudity. Critics view the same show as us. Elio and Linda are not necessarily professional critics, yet their critiques of the show are great, in-depth, and insightful. Every viewer is a critic. Getting paid to do so doesn't change that; it simply means that your writing is held to a higher standard and has an audience.

If you had read what I said, you would know I said Ros was a scapegoat. She, to many viewers, represented HBO's boob-quota.

And you really think that this forum's opinions do not affect the show? Dave and Dan casted Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo because they saw him suggested on this forum.

One more thing, Boardwalk Empire takes place during the rise of the flapper movement. A movement completely centered around looking and acting sexy.

ETA: People keep missing the point. I (like most, I believe) do NOT have a problem with nudity. We have a problem that HBO can't give us an episode without forcing nudity into a scene. The scenes where nudity occurs naturally are fine (think Dany in season 1). The problem is scenes where it just happens and you're left thinking, "Wait, why did they get naked for that," as was the Mel-Gendry situation. The scene is not the problem, it is that HBO forces the sex and nudity into every scene they can. I am sure they can't wait for Sophie Turner (Sansa) to turn 18.

Edited by 7V3N

Wow really?? RW AND PW? Kind of leaves the second half of Book 3 lacking in something to do for next season. Well, if so I am sure they will come up with something. Theon still has his toes.

I'm thinking they will commence coverage of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons by the middle of next season. The entire series might only last seven seasons and they have a lot of material to cover (see here).

Edited by Faint

Why is everybody more disturbed by the nudity than THE GODDAMN LEECH ON GENDRY'S PENIS?

Maybe because they didn't actually show it? I'm not sure why he screamed, actually. From what I have heard leeches produce a numbing agent in their saliva, which is why when you're wading through their natural habitat you often don't feel them attaching to you. But I'll have to google to confirm.

Here's hoping!

Since Talisa is pregnant and is not involved in any Lannister plot (that I know of) perhaps she will go with Robb to the Twins, sadly to perish at the RW along with Robb and his heir. Pity. For the plot - sacrifices must be made

I wish all the bitching about the nudity could be taken to the nitpicking thread. Not gonna argue that some of it is gratuitous but there is actually a lot more sex in the books. It's not that difficult to tune out the naked bodies. I hardly notice them anymore.

I wish all the bitching about the nudity could be taken to the nitpicking thread. Not gonna argue that some of it is gratuitous but there is actually a lot more sex in the books. It's not that difficult to tune out the naked bodies. I hardly notice them anymore.

I have no problem with nudity. I honestly think disliking nudity is an American thing, and pretty sure GRRM has a good quote about people who have a problem with nudity but not violence.

However, pointless sex scenes I dislike and there weren't any in this last episode.

Edited by Oakenfist

Three years in and people are still talking about the nudity. At what point is everyone just going to accept that HBO will continue to show copious nudity and accept it or stop watching? This will not change in Season 4 or the season after, and so on.

Well said.

The other point I would make is that HBO is a subscription service is it not? And you know what their style and content is. We used to have a show here on Australian television called "Chances" and that had quite a bit of nudity, probably more then GOT I feel, and that was on free to air television.

Personally I think there should be shows with more nudity in them so everyone just gets use to it. I am half joking about that one.

Well said.

The other point I would make is that HBO is a subscription service is it not? And you know what their style and content is. We used to have a show here on Australian television called "Chances" and that had quite a bit of nudity, probably more then GOT I feel, and that was on free to air television.

Personally I think there should be shows with more nudity in them so everyone just gets use to it. I am half joking about that one.

No I agree it's the pointlessness I object to.

Marie

I have no problem with nudity. I honestly think disliking nudity is an American thing, and pretty sure GRRM has a good quote about people who have a problem with nudity but not violence.

However, pointless sex scenes I dislike and there weren't any in this last episode.

Well I'm American, and I don't dislike it, but I do dislike violence. The quote you're talking about is someone's signature, can't remember whose, but I've seen it quite a bit. It is indeed a very good point.

Once more, Peter Dinklage is playing his part beyond even an excellent rating. He has no love for his father and even less for his pestilential nephew. Alcohol has the capacity to bring out the worst in people and it can be seen in this episode. It is good that they had Samwell killing the Cold Walker, but there is one small problem with the timing used. Samwell is a craven coward who is fearful of blood and violence but when he accidentally kills the Cold Walker, he is with some of the Night Watch and thus he earns their respect. It should be amusing how they deal with this faux pas.

I've heard discusision of Joffrey putting more emphasis on Lannistor than Baratheon. This fairly true to the books. In FFC it is noted that JOff put a cloak of red and crimson for Lannister upon Margaery yet Tommen attatched a Baratheon style cloak on Margaery.