[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

Here's what I noticed in the second watching: There is a tree with a face watching Sam and Gilly.

Cool!

Second Sons episode description: "Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman." But they didn't, did they? Even with the Weirwood face, they didn't meet him. I think that we were about to meet Coldhands after meeting his crows, but that part got unexpectedly cut after the episode description was written. I hope they'll show him in the next episode.

Cool!

Second Sons episode description: "Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman." But they didn't, did they? Even with the Weirwood face, they didn't meet him. I think that we were about to meet Coldhands after meeting his crows, but that part got unexpectedly cut after the episode description was written. I hope they'll show him in the next episode.

The White Walker was the older gentleman.

I'd assumed that they did meet the older gentleman, and Sam, being the gracious host, plunged an obsidian spearhead in the guy's back just because said grandfatherly figure wanted to have a look at a cute little baby. To me the episode description exactly matches what happened.

Cool!

How does anyone following this series not know that Weirwood trees have faces? Was the first thing I looked for when I saw it was a weirwood tree.

I'd assumed that they did meet the older gentleman, and Sam, being the gracious host, plunged an obsidian spearhead in the guy's back just because said grandfatherly figure wanted to have a look at a cute little baby. To me the episode description exactly matches what happened.

:D

How does anyone following this series not know that Weirwood trees have faces? Was the first thing I looked for when I saw it was a weirwood tree.

I recall in the books faces were also carved in nonweirwoods and are also usable by the gods and by Brynden

The gf (who has not read the series), after watching the scene where Arya smiles after Sandor tells her that he is planning on taking her to the Twins to meet her mom and brother, asked me,'so is she going to be OK?' (she asks stuff like this all the time). I gave my usual non-committal response, which is a shrug and a smile, but as tears welled up in my eyes, I think I might have given something away. :blushing:

The gf (who has not read the series), after watching the scene where Arya smiles after Sandor tells her that he is planning on taking her to the Twins to meet her mom and brother, asked me,'so is she going to be OK?' (she asks stuff like this all the time). I gave my usual non-committal response, which is a shrug and a smile, but as tears welled up in my eyes, I think I might have given something away. :blushing:

See, that's really sweet. Maybe you gave something away, but you didn't deliberately spoil it for her. Odd as it may sound, I think that was very nice of you. After she watches, hopefully, she'll remember your earlier "tell." Good luck. :)

That scene was indeed poignant. Arya's smile was heartbreaking.

snip

As for the Mel and Gendry scene, if you can't understand why she got naked there I don't know what to say. It's extremely obvious that she seduces him to make him forget his skepticism and paranoia and walk into the trap willingly. You don't have to like it though as that's not the same matter as understanding why something happens. It's not even particularly far fetched that the character that consistently dresses like a sex goddess and so often plays on sex and desire in the books behaves like this. Since Mel just seems to have sex with Stannis once in the show she's actually seemingly more moderate than her book version.

For the rest, we must agree to disagree. I would have preferred you not make things personal, however.

But the Mel-Gendry sex scene was pointless. Mel had NO reason to get naked and hop on his dick. NONE AT ALL. She doesn't want him to "see the blade"? How about tying him up in his sleep? There are plenty of alternate methods that would make more sense. I would love to hear your explanation for why it was necessary for Melisandre to have sex with Gendry.

But the Mel-Gendry sex scene was pointless. Mel had NO reason to get naked and hop on his dick. NONE AT ALL. She doesn't want him to "see the blade"? How about tying him up in his sleep? There are plenty of alternate methods that would make more sense. I would love to hear your explanation for why it was necessary for Melisandre to have sex with Gendry.

Jumping in where I probably shouldn't: there could easily have been a reason: make it something like the magic requires the blood of an aroused man, or whatever. That would have been kind of stupid, but at least it would have been consistent.

But instead they had to insist that the lamb couldn't see the blade, so she tied him up, and utterly terrified him, which was ... exactly what she earlier said she wanted to avoid. Logically it just makes no sense. Imagine instead: "Look you brave strong man, here's [whispers in the ear] what I'll do for you if you just let these three leeches briefly suck on your blood." Problem solved, and lamb feeling macho rather than terrified (I mean, maybe Westeros has super leeches or something, but come on - leeches?! They're almost painless, albeit a bit disgusting!). At least then the clumsily inserted sex scene would have made sense for the story.

I didn't like this scene because it was nonsensical. Melisandre didn't get his sperm from this because I am pretty sure he hadn't finished. (if she fucked him to get shadowbaby it would be perfectly ok). If she didn't want to scare him, then she acted as stupidly as she possibly could. Leeches are normal medicine practice now and especially back then. If she told him that she knows medicine and he needs a little leeching, he'd shrug and let her, as is, she made sure he'd be as terrified as possible after stating that she wants to achieve exact opposite. Maybe she could fuck him before convincing him to try leeches, that would make some sense at least. And by the time they'll presumably consider burning him alive, no amount of boobies will soothe the lamb anyway.

From non-spoiled comments, other people were confused as well. the show is confusing enough, sometimes in all the wrong ways, without this bizarreness.