[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

Maybe it's Sophie Turner's looks that adds to my doubts. She simply looks like an adult young woman with shoulders that would make her the perfect athlete. (not demeaning, I have been a track and field athlete myself, only not really Sansa imo, she should be more the Venetian Renaissance beauty)

I don't get the big deal with Sansa's age. Far bigger discrepancies between the actor's age and the character's age happen in TV land all the time. So she looks 17 and is supposed to be 14, big deal. We have actors in their late 20s and looking it being cast as teens quite often in other shows. Or in this show too - Richard Madden is way older than 17-18.

Why do you think it's supposed to be only a few months? If Sansa was 13 years and 1 month back at the start, and is 14 years and 11 months now, it's full 22 months between the two events. An extreme example obviously, but it could easily be more than a year without contradiction.

I remember when movies used to cast young adults as teenagers.

Rebel Without a Cause. James dean was 24 and looked it , he must have been held back quite a few grades!

To run it into the ground all the Stark kids were 'aged' up because of labour laws.

At least for those that had a lot of 'screen' time.

I am bit surprised by the low ratings on the 'off action' episodes, gave them all ratings a point or more higher than I see here, what accounts for the higher audience tune in totals?

The only change I would give is episode 4, the ending there should have pushed that 9.2 to 9.6!Regardless of what ever happened that episode , which as I remember was good.

All the action in the East has been a 9 on my meter... and that's not just comparing it to last year and season 2.

It might be interesting to poll how many people give an automatic number just because it's GoT!! Then subtract for the real variability. Then you'd have to get their personal automatic number etc etc etc. Probably <G> not worth it. But there could be more variability in "like" than the numbers show.

Nevertheless interesting that the despised episodes werent all that despised. unless a lot of people give an automatic 7. I guess there is something in each episode that redeems it. Blackwater gets a 10 from me every time I see it. I have already resigned myself to the fact that nothing will beat it, just as I never was stunned by a death the way Lady's and Ned's did me.

We all get worked up about Sansa's age in the show, my guess because it's a young girl's role. It's possibly more incredulous that Kit Harington plays a fourteen year old Jon Snow in S1, and similarly 14 year old Robb is played by Madden. The difference I see is that on the show, they have not really made a big deal pointing out Robb and Jon's ages, whilst in S3:E8 they had to bring up Sansa's age due to her marriage to Tyrion, and previously when she first started having menses.

So, my point is, for the show, we're supposed to think that Jon and Robb are 5+ years older than Sansa?

I don't know how the ratings compare here but at least over at the Tower of the Hand it appears that Season 1 will remain the online community's favorite unless the last two episodes of Season 3 both receive a bunch of 10's. Anyone surprised/disappointed by this? Season 3 had a lot of hype, and many expected it to be the best season yet. I thought it might be, but overall I was always anxious for season 4. Yes, we will get that very iconic scene in one week's time, however, IMO the second half of a Storm of Swords is better than the first half. Season 4 will have so much: purple wedding, battle at the wall, red viper vs. the mountain, Tyrion's escape/revenge, etc. What do you guys think?

I've gotta say I do still favor the first season. They cut a lot of the history but they hit the culture perfectly (I think). By the end of the season, you understand what everyone's story is about, what each main character (that had been introduced) was like in the first book, and Mark Addy was just exceptional as King Robert. Also, and I know this is a point of contention here, but the nudity was less intrusive -- we usually got it through whores in brothels, or Dany with Drogo. The nudity did not seem to change scenes, where now it seems that they go into the writers room thinking "how could we do this, but with her naked."

The second season I hated almost every episode of it because it seemed to lack all the details that GRRM avoided. GRRM commented on how silly it is in LOTR where the heroes wear no helms, and never seem to get hit like the common soldiers. But then they butcher his Blackwater episode by having Stannis literally lead the charge without any sort of protection (via shield or helm). And when he gets to the walls, a rock is dropped on the head of the guy next to him. Remember how Jaime cut through men because he knew if he killed Robb Stark, the Starks lose? Every Lannister soldier would be targetting Stannis. GRRM wrote Stannis commanding the battle from a war tent, and it should have stayed that way. Add in the complete butchery of Dany's story. If it weren't for the great acting for Bran, Theon, and Arya the second season would have been unwatchable for me. Arya's story was kept well, as was Theon's, but both ended poorly and abruptly IMO. Also, Stannis' story was weak but they got a perfect actor for Davos.

The third season has been quite good. I like how the adaptations seem to make more sense. I think they went too hard on the torture scenes (these could have been quick openers), and I do not like the forced nudity (as I have said), but the characters seem more true. Stannis and Davos' interactions have been great, and I have finally seen what I saw in Book!Stannis. I think they have done a poor job really explaining Robb's story and I hate that they aren't using Jeyne (the way they did it makes me lose all respect for TV!Robb). Dany's story has been great, and NCW has been amazing as Jaime (as he been since the start, but he has done a great job at revealing what Jaime really is, like in the books), and I feel Brienne has been redeemed this season from her season 2 whatever (killing people slowly, looking like she enjoyed it). Bran's story has been a shame this season. Rather than giving us all the good introduction to warging and greenseer magic, we have Osha bickering about how she doesn't trust the crannogmen. Jon's story only had one good scene (which GRRM wrote). They haven't hit the culture of the wildings right. They just seem like the mountain clans, but colder and in much worse living conditions.

All in all, season three has brought back the enjoyment that the show gave me in the first season. I actually consider it an adaptation of my favorite book series. Season two made me consider giving up on the show, and I don't even count it as an adaptation because it was the writers making the series what they thought would be cool. Season three has redeemed my interest and made me look forward to each episode. They crushed my heart (in the bad way) with Blackwater last season. I just hope they made the Red Wedding was heartbreaking (in the sorta good way) as it was when I read it (thought it'll be hard since they made sure I dislike TV!Robb).

Edited by 7V3N

I agree--season 1 is probably still my favorite. I guess it's a little premature though. Bran's storyline has been butchered. They definitely could have explained the warging/greenseeing more up to this point. They also could have included Meera telling the Knight of the Laughing Tree story. I wasn't too upset about the changes made to the brotherhood without banners because I never cared for them much in the book anyway. However, I will reserve complete judgement and comparison until the season ends. Can't wait for next week! :cool4:

I think this season has been more interesting in terms of switches and changes from the books.

I like what they have done with the new Gendry story as well as Arya & the Hound's old story.

What they are doing with the new Shae and Tyrion story as well as the the old Second Sons story.

The new and improved Daario Naharis and the Valar Morgullis teasing as well as the old and familiar King's Landing story.

etc., etc., etc.

Edited by silentwanderer

Ah I forgot to say that my first impression of Daario in the show is more likeable than book Daario. Nothing to do with looks - I just couldn't see why anyone would fall for Book!Daario. TV!Daario has that same arrogance but with more charm.

I know it would be a big departure from the books but is it possible the climatic scene(s) in the last episode will be Robb, Aeron and Joffrey all dying? Picture the hits in the Godfather II, a montage of events all taking place essentially at the same time - with dramatic music of course.

After seeing Stannis curse each of them it would seem odd to stretch out their deaths into the next season. People here have been saying over and over that certain events can't happen before others, etc. but that's assuming things play out like the books. And who says Joff has to be poisoned at a wedding, for example? This season we've already seen some big departures from ASoIaF so I'd say anything is possible.

We all get worked up about Sansa's age in the show, my guess because it's a young girl's role. It's possibly more incredulous that Kit Harington plays a fourteen year old Jon Snow in S1, and similarly 14 year old Robb is played by Madden. The difference I see is that on the show, they have not really made a big deal pointing out Robb and Jon's ages, whilst in S3:E8 they had to bring up Sansa's age due to her marriage to Tyrion, and previously when she first started having menses.

So, my point is, for the show, we're supposed to think that Jon and Robb are 5+ years older than Sansa?

As has been said , about a 1000 times, George patterned his world , mostly after medieval Europe, tho it could apply to any historical time even into the 20th century (and even now!). It's not something we are used to in the modern world in developed countries (at least legally). No such things as 'teenagers' ... blah, blah, blah....

It's obvious , even if you did not know the law, that all the 'kids' had to be aged up...

I don't understand why D&D had the question asked even ...

A very awkward dialog blunder... they just did not think it through.

Edited by boojam

I know it would be a big departure from the books but is it possible the climatic scene(s) in the last episode will be Robb, Aeron and Joffrey all dying? Picture the hits in the Godfather II, a montage of events all taking place essentially at the same time - with dramatic music of course.

After seeing Stannis curse each of them it would seem odd to stretch out their deaths into the next season. People here have been saying over and over that certain events can't happen before others, etc. but that's assuming things play out like the books. And who says Joff has to be poisoned at a wedding, for example? This season we've already seen some big departures from ASoIaF so I'd say anything is possible.

*Balon. But no, it won't happen. At least not Joff. It is too great of a scene/episode to have next season. Plus him dying would have the butterfly effect. I think it would be great to begin next season with Balon's death.

As has been said , about a 1000 times, George patterned his world , mostly after medieval Europe, tho it could apply to any historical time even into the 20th century (and even now!). It's not something we are used to in the modern world in developed countries (at least legally). No such things as 'teenagers' ... blah, blah, blah....

It's obvious , even if you did not know the law, that all the 'kids' had to be aged up...

I don't understand why D&D had the question asked even ...

A very awkward dialog blunder... they just did not think it through.

I realize the "aging up" of the Stark kids has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum, but my specific point was merely that we are explicitly told Sansa is now 15. Clearly Jon and Robb are much older on the show. This for book readers adds more disparity than if D+D had just decided to let Sansa be 17 or 18 in the show.

So they were aged-up 4 years, whilst Sansa was kept more or less at her book age...

I think it was simply a mistake. They probably said "We need to emphasize that Sansa is so young compared to Tyrion. Somebody check the wiki for her age." The inattention to detail has always been a problem of the series.

I think it was simply a mistake. They probably said "We need to emphasize that Sansa is so young compared to Tyrion. Somebody check the wiki for her age." The inattention to detail has always been a problem of the series.

They had Tyrion really beating home the idea of her youth to Bronn. I don't even know why they made her a specific age.