[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

I felt Cersei came on a little strong with her threats against Margarey. I liked the story she told about Tywin, but I woulda preferred her threats to be more veiled.

I didn't have a problem with that. Cersei's never been one to be too subtle. Look at her dealings with Ned, her heavy-handed interactions with Sansa during Blackwater, and pretty much everything she does in AFFC leading up to her walk of shame. The point I think was being made was that Cersei thinks she is clever and subtle, but she is anything but.

I felt Cersei came on a little strong with her threats against Margarey. I liked the story she told about Tywin, but I woulda preferred her threats to be more veiled.

She's losing her touch since the engagement with Loras if you ask me.

The Cersei that killed her husband with wine and a hunting trip would've never been so crude as to threaten Margaery in front of anyone who would hear them.

Edited by silentwanderer

Yes.

I always remember from the books that Dany fell for Daario because he reminded her so much of Drogo.

So I thought if they had fancied up Jason Momoa , or some approximation there of, they could have used him as Daario!

(DEADWOOD did it with the actor Garret Dillahunt who played , season 1, the character that killed Wild Bill, and then was killed.

Second season he returned (I did not recognize him!) as George Hearst's geologist.)

In Mona's case it might have been more mind blowing for the audience to have Mona return, but what the hell!

Not sure Mona was available or D&D even considered it.

You're referring to the characters Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott, both played wonderfully by Garret Dillahunt. I'm not sure if it would work with Jason Momoa, but I would certainly be interested in seeing it. He was great as Drogo.

Something struck me as rather odd during a rewatch.It is funny how the WW turns up after they focus somewhat deliberately on the face on the heart tree - it is almost like someone saw through the tree and sent the WW after them... Of course the ravens save Sam and Gilly from wights in the book, but here the motives of the ravens were left, again deliberately, ambiguous. I'm fairly sure it is all coincidental, but the blasphemers might be interested (I am...)

Edit: And the face even looks somewhat like the WW's

Edited by Nobody of the canals

Something struck me as rather odd during a rewatch.It is funny how the WW turns up after they focus somewhat deliberately on the face on the heart tree - it is almost like someone saw through the tree and sent the WW after them... Of course the ravens save Sam and Gilly from wights in the book, but here the motives of the ravens were left, again deliberately, ambiguous. I'm fairly sure it is all coincidental, but the blasphemers might be interested (I am...)

Edit: And the face even looks somewhat like the WW's

Sounds like Heresy ;)

But many have pondered on the connection between the Others and the Children, and believe the showrunners chose this appearance to intentionally show a similarity between the two.

Regarding the ravens and Sam: I feel like it'll be explained by Coldhands simply saying something like "I was told about what you did to the cold one," and Sam figures out it was through the ravens.

Edited by 7V3N

I haven't read through all the threads, so I'm not sure if anybody has posted this question. Seeing how the Blackfish is on route to the Red Wedding, do you fellow viewers think they will allow him to be killed? He holds River Run until Jamie convinces him to surrender. He escapes during the night before they enter the castle, which leads me to believe that Martin has more in store for the uncle of Catlyn Stark. Due to the changing of certain story lines I'm wondering if this will alter Martin's original direction, and flip the unfinished books completely.

I haven't read through all the threads, so I'm not sure if anybody has posted this question. Seeing how the Blackfish is on route to the Red Wedding, do you fellow viewers think they will allow him to be killed? He holds River Run until Jamie convinces him to surrender. He escapes during the night before they enter the castle, which leads me to believe that Martin has more in store for the uncle of Catlyn Stark. Due to the changing of certain story lines I'm wondering if this will alter Martin's original direction, and flip the unfinished books completely.

I have read that some think he will sneak Talisa out of RW.

GRRM has said that fan theories will not affect what he writes. I think it goes the same with the books. He will not change anything important. He has said that TV!Osha is more interesting than his own (though this season she is a pain) and that he may write more with her (or something along those lines). I don't think it is altering anything in the world (places, characters, events, etc.). Instead, it changes how he writes, not what he writes.

Edited by 7V3N

You're referring to the characters Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott, both played wonderfully by Garret Dillahunt. I'm not sure if it would work with Jason Momoa, but I would certainly be interested in seeing it. He was great as Drogo.

OMG I would have loved, loved, loved having Jason Momoa back. I keep praying for another flashback, dream, memory, or whatever to see him onscreen again. I wish I had thought of this. Daario is pretty nice, but he just ain't Drogo...

Sorry this is off topic. One thing I noticed that Martin wrote about that hasn't been mentioned is Rob dispatching a force North to prepare for the liberation of the North, pending Walder Freys alliance. Maege Mormont, Glover, and I think two other Lords under his banner. Their whereabouts after the Red Wedding are unknown. Where do you think Martin will go with this sizeable, yet forgotten force? Most of Rob's banner men went with Lord Bolton, however none of the dispatched forces have been mentioned as folding in with the rest. Maybe I have over looked something, please let me know what you all think.

The Blackfish can NOT be killed off. Just please no. We will only be left with Edmure, and I do like him, even with his soft heart and head... esp.his soft heart. UnCat doesn't really count as Tully or Stark.. she is in her own category: Revenge. This is just my wish, he escapes the twins ( w/o Talisa)! The guy is a strong swimmer and even a blackfish can swim dammit. Or he never goes and holes up in Riverrun as per books, so he can have his epic put down rolling his eyes and distainful mockery of Jaime. I like Jaime too, but the Blackfish owned him in that conversation. Please don't kill him, no Great or Small Jon. No Dacey...

Why do a bunch of people think that Sansa noticed Joffrey moving the stool and thus realized Tyrion couldn't reach? As stupid as they've made showSansa, she could have been completely unaware.

Because she did notice... she reacted... and the stool was moved audibly. She noticed... and thats why I keep saying to people it is akin to not kneeling... She knew the stool was moved & he couldnt reach, heard the laughter... and only acknowledged it reluctantly when Tyrion pleaded for her to kneel.

If Blackfish is killed in the show that is sort of a spoiler for the books. So I predict either we know he survives or we dont know. So far the only effect the show has had on GRRM is for him to see more potential in Osha as a book character

I'm not 'uncomfortable' with it, I think sex and nudity is fine on screen. The complaints about sex typically aren't about how inappropriate the sex was, they're about how you shouldn't just fill a show with sex that doesn't serve the plot. If a sex scene is completely unnecessary, I would prefer it to be replaced by something that actually advances the plot or comes from the books.

The sex scene was necessary in this episode...Gendry is diligent, intelligent & responsible. But he is also a bastard that has spent his time making weapons.... on the run & having slight feelings towards Arya. Obviously a clear way for showMelisandre to put him in a vulnerable position is by means of sexual contact. This isnt the books, its HBO. How is this not expected?

The sex scene was necessary in this episode...Gendry is diligent, intelligent & responsible. But he is also a bastard that has spent his time making weapons.... on the run & having slight feelings towards Arya. Obviously a clear way for showMelisandre to put him in a vulnerable position is by means of sexual contact. This isnt the books, its HBO. How is this not expected?

I agree. When it's on HBO you get good productive values and good performances ... and sex and nudity whenever possible. I don't care as long as it has a point. The Gendry scene moved the plot, if marginally. The Theon scene last episode didn't.

If Blackfish is killed in the show that is sort of a spoiler for the books. So I predict either we know he survives or we dont know. So far the only effect the show has had on GRRM is for him to see more potential in Osha as a book character

It's possible he gets taken captive after drunkenly smashing a few Frey heads, much like the Greatjon does in a book. Then he could get ransomed or escape in a future season so he can fulfill his Blackfish destiny as laid out in the books.

Edited by Khal Pono

I agree. When it's on HBO you get good productive values and good performances ... and sex and nudity whenever possible. I don't care as long as it has a point. The Gendry scene moved the plot, if marginally. The Theon scene last episode didn't.

I disagree. Now that Theon has been completely broken (and that last episode was required) we can move on with him. The sex scenes in the brothels for instance were not necessary - but the scene with Gendry was IMHO appropriate.

It's possible he gets taken captive after drunkenly smashing a few Frey heads, much like the Greatjon does in a book. Then he could get ransomed or escape in a future season so he can fulfill his Blackfish destiny as laid out in the books.

Well we dont know his destiny in the books. So they cant kill him now in the show or it's a spoiler.

"Necessary" is not the right word. I think you mean acceptable. Unless we see a Gendry shadow-baby, it was not necessary. I would say it was necessary if Mel snuck the leaches on after Gendry had the post-climax sleepies. But she contradicted her whole thing about not scaring him. He was clearly freaking out. I enjoyed seeing the actress nude as much as the next guy, but as far as plot significance, it had none and actually contradicted material said earlier in the episode.