[Book Spoilers] EP308 Discussion

Ran

Three years in and people are still talking about the nudity. At what point is everyone just going to accept that HBO will continue to show copious nudity and accept it or stop watching? This will not change in Season 4 or the season after, and so on.

The argument continues because Ros was a scapegoat. Fans were able to look at her and blame her for HBO's desire to fill every episode with sex and nudity. She was entirely original to the show and took up more screen time than major characters. It was believed that her death meant less forced nudity, but instead it meant the nudity would be more widespread across different characters' stories.

People have the right to voice their complaints. Not every show needs nudity. Boardwalk Empire (a great HBO series) had incredibly little nudity in comparison, and when it did it was mostly part of character development. People should not stop complaining. It's called critiquing and some people even get paid to do it! The show is made for us fans, so our opinions of the show do matter. After critics and fans alike were highly critical of last season's diversions (mainly Quarth), we have seen the show treat Dany's story with care, making it incredibly true to the novels. And I think most would agree her storyline has been one of the strongest this season.

Never tell fans to stop voicing their opinions, because the show is made for us.

Edited by 7V3N

The argument continues because Ros was a scapegoat. Fans were able to look at her and blame her for HBO's desire to fill every episode with sex and nudity. She was entirely original to the show and took up more screen time than major characters. It was believed that her death meant less forced nudity, but instead it meant the nudity would be more widespread across different characters' stories.

People have the right to voice their complaints. Not every show needs nudity. Boardwalk Empire (a great HBO series) had incredibly little nudity in comparison, and when it did it was mostly part of character development. People should not stop complaining. It's called critiquing and some people even get paid to do it! The show is made for us fans, so our opinions of the show do matter. After critics and fans alike were highly critical of last season's diversions (mainly Quarth), we have seen the show treat Dany's story with care, making it incredibly true to the novels. And I think most would agree her storyline has been one of the strongest this season.

Never tell fans to stop voicing their opinions, because the show is made for us.

Ya, we'll see just how 'true' to the novels they really are with Dany's story arc now that Daario has been introduced to the show......I seem to recall some sex scenes in the novels that were sorta like ummm, "Daario had Dany any and every which way he wanted". :drool: :devil: :smileysex:

Edited by Jon Icefyre

I think I'm getting in over my head a bit. :)

I'm sketchy on the timeline of events, but I think Cersei will probably try to postpone it, though I suppose it is somewhat doubtful she could hold out against Tywin for that long. Was Cersei ever actually engaged to anyone in the books? If not, then the whole situation is unprecedented and I wouldn't doubt they'll go through with it, even if it means Loras won't be on the Kingsguard. I think I was reading speculation on how Loras was going to get on the Kingsguard at all when he wasn't appointed after the Blackwater, but that doesn't strictly need to happen ever.

I seem to recall Tywin in the show saying Cersei and Loras will wed after Joffrey's royal wedding so it doesn't take away from that. We know what happens at that wedding, so maybe Tywin doesn't force the issue or doesn't have time because his own son is accused of killing the king. Then he gets a really sharp pain in his bowels . . .

Does anyone think that if we do see Balon Greyjoy's death we will get a culprit? Perhaps Jaquen?

I don't know. I think we will get Balon because the S 3 preview had Yara/Asha walking and looking pissed. I assume that she is walking briskly because someone lost his balance. I know the a theory exists that a FM is responsible for the Balon's death and that that FM is Jaqen, but I have re read the books and I can't put it together. Does anyone know a good thread using book sources as evidence that a FM, and especially Jaqen is responsible?

He didn't say that people don't have a right to voice their complaints. He was asking how long people would keep complaining about the same thing. You'd think people either get fed up with something and stop watching, or get used to it. Of course some people seem to take great delight in being negative so that part of course play against that. Critics are different since they get paid and are forced to review a lot of things, which of course means that they have two reasons fans don't have to keep doing it. As for people thinking that Ros was the reason for the nudity, that wasn't particularly bright. There has consistently been plenty of other nudity than her (especially this season where she wasn't nude at all), and while there might be a little more of some nudity nothing is as detailed as it sometimes gets in the books. I think this should have been expected by everyone that thought it through.

As for Boardwalk Empire, I haven't seen that but I'd say that the 1920s America was pretty uptight about such things. That's hardly the case of many places in Westeros and Essos, nor was it in Rome, which in turn gave the kind of HBO show named so. It always felt very obvious to me that Rome would be the closest analogy to GoT when it came to TV shows.

And to think that our voices about season 2 affected much how Dany was treated in this season seems like wishful thinking. There are quite obvious differences in her storylines in ACoK and ASoS. Season 2 had a lot of changes since they wanted to do something more active than her storyline in ACoK, while ASoS has plenty of action (although few chapters) that translates very well as it is. Still this week's episode had a lot of differences from the novel, so your claim that it's "incredibly true" is weirdly timed.

As for your last sentence he didn't tell anyone to stop. And just because people are free to express their opinions as they like doesn't mean that people in turn can't question questionable behavior.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. He should have said "bloody wedding".... and apart from that, his tone is way too nice. I cannot wait to see how he smashes that axe in Arya's back. I hope they won't cut out such a scene.

I am getting a little annoyed at people who complain about deviations from the book and then mention a scene from the book that never happened. This isnt the first and wont be the last.

It was funny, people in the books actually mistook them for Father and daughter/son. They always seemed like a good team in the books with a lot of underlying emotions that really were never really explored.

I remember it too, Arya couldn't kill him after they spent half the Autumn together.

She said it was because of Mycah, but it read like they both knew this wasn't true.

I can't wait to see that on the show.

Edited by silentwanderer

I don't know. I think we will get Balon because the S 3 preview had Yara/Asha walking and looking pissed. I assume that she is walking briskly because someone lost his balance. I know the a theory exists that a FM is responsible for the Balon's death and that that FM is Jaqen, but I have re read the books and I can't put it together. Does anyone know a good thread using book sources as evidence that a FM, and especially Jaqen is responsible?

Im thinking the show might use a gendry-Mel smokemonster instead of an FM. In the book it was a "man without a face" but not nec Jaqen. The source is the old woman at high heart.

I'm sorry if someone else brought this up, but did HBO ever explain why they made the White Walkers look so different from the books? Martin describes them as almost alien like, graceful, and clad in strange armor. HBO has them looking like zombies.

And he froze and shattered instead of melting - wev.

Two kings will fall this season, it seems. We have the Red Wedding in the next episode, and from what we've seen in the trailers, Yara's story is continuing in Season 3 - which only makes sense if they plan on Balon biting the dust this season too.

Actually, judging by the synopsis for the season finale, it looks like all three kings will fall this season.

Here is my review of this weeks episode ! Would be great to get some views of fellow Game of Thrones Lovers

http://squarevision.co.uk/2013/05/20/game-of-thrones-second-sons-review/

I would give this weeks episode a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Much better than last weeks.

I'm not happy with everyone hate for Stannis I love him !

Daario was decent I thought I wouldn't like the actor.

Sam was great although disappointing scene.

The wedding lived up to the book !!!

Can hardly believe how Stannis casted a leech into the fire and stated Balon Greyjoy's name. I know this is the way it was in the book but on the show the Greyjoys have become so irrelevant that it doesn't matter.

Also dislike the way the show in general seems to almost ignore the events of the war instead focusing on the minor events of each character.

Its very easy for the casual viewer to forget there is a war going on and who or what is being fought over.

If the show were to include even a little of Asha's exploits possibly the Greyjoys would be relevant but they screwing themselves in future seasons by not including the Greyjoys now.

Im thinking the show might use a gendry-Mel smokemonster instead of an FM. In the book it was a "man without a face" but not nec Jaqen. The source is the old woman at high heart.

It would be a strange for Stannis to direct his single-use super assassin at Balon when there are quite a few more relevant and threatening targets. Balon is a second tier problem for Stannis. Anyway, Euron's likely involvement in Balon's death is pretty important going forward in the Greyjoy storyline.

That does bring up an interesting point - I wonder who Stannis should assassinate if Melissandre did spawn another super assassin? Probably Tywin, but killing Margery would also make a huge mess in the capital and probably destroy the Lannister - Tyrell alliance.

Can hardly believe how Stannis casted a leech into the fire and stated Balon Greyjoy's name. I know this is the way it was in the book but on the show the Greyjoys have become so irrelevant that it doesn't matter.

It seems like they'll catch us up with Asha and Balon at the end of this season and have more of a Greyjoy focus next season. I agree it would have been nice to see more of Asha this season, but hasn't she just been hanging onto her captured castle this entire time? The Greyjoys don't do much of interest until after Balon's death.