How would you rate episode 308?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Funny...since this is one of the only episodes the show has done where nudity actually served a plot purpose other than being purely gratuituous. I didn't mind...but I've always had a crush on the red witch. ;)

Remember when she told Stannis about when you slaughter a goat if it sees the knife the blood will go to the meat, something of that nature anyway. My point is, a friend had a cow that lost all of its reproduction organs in birth and they had to shoot it. Point being several people said the meat would be no good because of the cow's adrenaline pumping and somehow making the meat bad. FYI: the meat was just as tasty as the rest I've had, nasty and pointless story I know but I could see a relation so sorry.......

9. Minus one point for the drawn out unnecessary sex scene between Mel and Gendry. I'm not a snob, and I like a good sex scene as much as the next person, but if it is warranted! She could have leeched him without riding him, unless she plans on making another assassin baby (which I doubt because who would she kill with it?)

Daario. Can't get him out of my head. The asshole sellsword wasn't bad looking either, minus the fact that he is an asshole.

A solid episode with an extremely gripping ending, I gave it an 8.

What worked for me:

• A miserable drunken Tyrion raising his glass to a miserable Loras -- this scene and just about everything concerning the wedding feast (particularly the new family tree dynamics explained for you by QoT) gave me a guffaw. So much misery for such a short ceremony, I loved it.
  • Davos/Stannis - Finally, we check back in with the guys on Dragonstone. Powerful scene between Liam Cunningham and Stephen Dillane in which Davos finally gets his freedom. I wished we had gotten to see a bit more of this duo over the course of the season -- ahh well, perhaps in the final episodes, or next year...
  • Daario doesn't suck!! - I was dreading the introduction of this character--needlessly, it turns out. Show Daario looks to be a vast, vast improvement over book Daario. Now this guy I could picture Dany falling for.
  • Arya/Hound - The short sequence between them points towards some great character interactions to come. There seems to be some good chemistry between Maisie Williams and Rory McCann.
  • Sam the Slayer - Glad Sam got his mojo working. Excellent final scene, it was creepy, spellbinding, and just all-around fantastic.

What didn't work for me:

• Melisandre/Gendry/Stannis - The leech part was cleverly executed, but the naked Mel and Gendry bondage part didn't quite hit the mark for me. Also, I wished that they didn't picture Stannis as being equally enthusiastic in naming the three "usurpers". I liked the bit in the book where he hesitated before naming Robb.
  • Cersei/Margaery - I thought that the naked threat on Cersei's part to have Margaery strangled in her sleep a bit too much to swallow. They should have stopped the scene after she related the story of the Castameres, as that was already blatant enough of a warning.
  • No Robb and Cat - Considering where we are in the season, I think that we really should have had a least one scene featuring Robb and Cat this episode. At least one nice mother/son moment, perhaps?

Oh, and one last very minor quibble, but something that mildly annoyed me nonetheless, when I see Conleth Hill and Jerome Flynn's names in the credits, I anticipate seeing them in at least one actual scene with at least a line of dialogue, not just a fleeting glimpse of them in the crowd at the wedding. HBO and GoT, sometimes you are such teases. :P

All in all, it was a really good episode. I'll have to watch it again, and I still have a few nitpicks (Sam's kills the Walker with the dragonglass dagger then runs away WITHOUT GRABBING IT?!!!) but this is one the few episodes that never had a scene where I went "why did they need this". Keep it up, GoT!

A solid episode with an extremely gripping ending, I gave it an 8.

What worked for me:

• A miserable drunken Tyrion raising his glass to a miserable Loras -- this scene and just about everything concerning the wedding feast (particularly the new family tree dynamics explained for you by QoT) gave me a guffaw. So much misery for such a short ceremony, I loved it.
  • Davos/Stannis - Finally, we check back in with the guys on Dragonstone. Powerful scene between Liam Cunningham and Stephen Dillane in which Davos finally gets his freedom. I wished we had gotten to see a bit more of this duo over the course of the season -- ahh well, perhaps in the final episodes, or next year...
  • Daario doesn't suck!! - I was dreading the introduction of this character--needlessly, it turns out. Show Daario looks to be a vast, vast improvement over book Daario. Now this guy I could picture Dany falling for.
  • Arya/Hound - The short sequence between them points towards some great character interactions to come. There seems to be some good chemistry between Maisie Williams and Rory McCann.
  • Sam the Slayer - Glad Sam got his mojo working. Excellent final scene, it was creepy, spellbinding, and just all-around fantastic.

What didn't work for me:

• Melisandre/Gendry/Stannis - The leech part was cleverly executed, but the naked Mel and Gendry bondage part didn't quite hit the mark for me. Also, I wished that they didn't picture Stannis as being equally enthusiastic in naming the three "usurpers". I liked the bit in the book where he hesitated before naming Robb.
  • Cersei/Margaery - I thought that the naked threat on Cersei's part to have Margaery strangled in her sleep a bit too much to swallow. They should have stopped the scene after she related the story of the Castameres, as that was already blatant enough of a warning.
  • No Robb and Cat - Considering where we are in the season, I think that we really should have had a least one scene featuring Robb and Cat this episode. At least one nice mother/son moment, perhaps?

Oh, and one last very minor quibble, but something that mildly annoyed me nonetheless, when I see Conleth Hill and Jerome Flynn's names in the credits, I anticipate seeing them in at least one actual scene with at least a line of dialogue, not just a fleeting glimpse of them in the crowd at the wedding. HBO and GoT, sometimes you are such teases. :P

They've completely fucked up Robb and Cat's storyline. So I wasn't even disappointed when they got zero screen time this season, I wasn't surprised at all. They died a long time ago.

... but this is one the few episodes that never had a scene where I went "why did they need this". Keep it up, GoT!

Amazing how much this improves the overall quality of the episode. Just the pacing and overall feel of the episode greatly improves.

They've completely fucked up Robb and Cat's storyline. So I wasn't even disappointed when they got zero screen time this season, I wasn't surprised at all. They died a long time ago.

I meant to say this EPISODE (instead of season). Sorry!

A solid 8 -- probably should have been higher, but I'm anticipating big things for the next few episodes...definitely better than the last 2 episodes overall. Loved finally seeing Sam the Slayer...not impressed with the wedding overall -- loved the transition/foreshadowing from Stannis naming Joffery & then cutting to his smug face at a wedding.

Yea after the 1st half of season 2 was over, I was like R.I.P. Robb & Cat :(

It's a shame cause season 1 Robb & cat were better than their book equivalents.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Dreadful episode. Hopefully the last in the trio of lacklustre episodes following the very strong first five. If they butcher the next episode... strongly worded letter... grumble. The Slayer scene was awfully underwhelming, and why, oh why, did Sansa kneel?

Dreadful episode. Hopefully the last in the trio of lacklustre episodes following the very strong first five. If they butcher the next episode... strongly worded letter... grumble. The Slayer scene was awfully underwhelming, and why, oh why, did Sansa kneel?

I not seen yet but most reviewers on this site are overwhelmingly positive, care to elaborate??

I was really disappointed that we didn't get Coldhands. I liked what they did with the crows, the talk between Sam and Gilly.

I loved (well, loved to hate) Cersei's chilling scene with Margaery, and then with Loras, she was just plain mean. Poor Loras. I really like him.

Thought the wedding was done very well, all around. Couldn't follow the relationships the QOT spouted off.

Hated the whole scene with Mel and Gendry. I just hate Mel. I hate her.

Daario has always made me :ack: but I really like TV Daario.

But somehow the episode just didn't hang together. I gave it a 7.

Edited by Not Only But Also

9/10.

Almost perfect, and certainly one of the most entertaining episodes thanks to Tyrion the Drunk. Also, I couldn't help but applaud to the Sam the Slayer scene. The way the Other broke the steel sword and then himself got shattered by the dagger was amazing. Wish we had Coldhands in there, though. He might still show up otherwise how will Sam find the hidden door in the Wall.

Great episode IMO, minor things bothered me, but I'm fine now with the adaptation of the books, so despite the fact that while watching it I get the impulse to say, why they made Sansa kneel, after the episode ends I get why they did. I just wanted more time in some scenes, like the party after the wedding, it was too short :/ Really liked Tyrion raising his glass to Loras. Loved the crows in the end and I was waiting to Coldhands... well I hope they bring him before the end of the season. Also, I agree with many comments about Daario, I mean I like him much more than book Daario.