How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

4/10

What I liked:

• Cersei
  • Sam's scene
  • The music when Daario swore fealty to Daenerys

The rest was awful. The writing was cringeworthy, they cut out some of the best lines, Tyrion is just embarassing to watch (not in the way the writers intended), and once again the female nudity felt forced and sexist.

Also Daario is absolutely hideous.

My favorite thing about the GoT television series each week aside from the episodes is reading what you have to say about them. :rofl:

Til next week!

Edited by Kaitscralt

The only complaints I see are people being unhappy when the story drifts away ever so little from the books. I think Tyrion is more interesting than in the books. The same goes for Cersei. Both made more flawed and somewhat likeable and less plain evil/selfish.

I give it an 8. I didn't like that the Hound, Tyrion, and Sansa are all so much nicer than their book versions. Sansa not kneeling is understandable given what a great perfect guy Tyrion is. I miss the animosity in their wedding, how they both seemed to briefly hate each other. It's one of those things that made it interesting and made you wonder "Will he consummate his marriage?" In the show, I feel there was no chance. I didn't like that there was no Robb and Catelyn. I didn't like that Arya and the Hound was so short - I think Arya continues to get the shaft by the show. Milsandre and Gendry went on way too long when we could have had more Arya/Hound or Robb/Catelyn.

I am always stunned by the reactions of the internet as I thought this episode was not nearly as good as the last two episodes (which I had zero complaints with) but it was better than episode 5, which I think I rated a 7.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone could rate this show as a 9 or 10.

A GOT 8 is as good as most series 10s, but this was not one of the best GOT episodes.

I don't like the Daario casting. He just doesn't seem to have the charisma. They should have switched the actors of Jaqen and Daario.

Edited by flinn

9/10

I thought the Sam bit at the end was dull, and the Mel bits kinda awkward.

But the rest was really good. The wedding was hilarious. My favorites were Lena & Finn Jones. "Nobody cares..."

And I know there are objections to how (understated) Daario looks, but I just find the actor so hot, I really don't care anymore.

Excellent episode, 9/10.

Yes, they changed Tyrion and Sansa in some substantial ways, but those were still very entertaining scenes and they worked well. Dinklage was great.

Dany's story had been adapted brilliantly as usual.

The stuff I was less sure about were the Mel/Gendry and the Sam/Gilly. The first was just slightly ridiculous but I guess it was done pretty well all the same. Sam was great, as usual, but I just don't like their Others very much. Not scary.

It is no wonder this episode was good though, as all the story lines they suck at were absent. No Jon Show, hurray.

Sansa kneeled because viewers are too petty and judgmental to empathize with someone in her position. "She's such a bitch," etc. Personally, I disliked that they did not have Tyrion remove the Stark cloak and wrap her in the Lannister cloak. She leaves her father's protection and comes under her husband's protection. But minor quibbles aside, the wedding was excellent.

Mel's sex scene was a huge waste of time. If D&D had a boob quota, so be it, but there was far too long of a prelude to it. The inclusion of the leeches was a good way to end that diversion.

It was disappointing that there were no scenes with Robb and Catelyn. I had hoped that we would at least be getting some names of Northern bannermen by this point (Greatjon having been written out and no one else save Roose and Rickard introduced), but I guess the Red Wedding will be mostly about the murder of Robb and Cat and not the massacre of the Northern army. It is a shame, because part of the dramatic horror of the Red Wedding is in all the Northerners fighting desperately for their lives and their king - throwing tables on top of Robb, wielding pieces of meat as weapons, etc. Now there will most likely be none of that. Who knows what will happen with Blackfish and Talisa?*

*quivers with revulsion

My favorite thing about the GoT television series each week aside from the episodes is reading what you have to say about them. :rofl:

Til next week!

Can I just second this! It's the highlight of my week finding out what exactly was wrong with the show this week, according to dear old Patrick. He should have his own radio broadcast!

Also, it won't be next week! :bawl: Damn US holidays! ;)

Sansa kneeled because viewers are too petty and judgmental to empathize with someone in her position. "She's such a bitch," etc. Personally, I disliked that they did not have Tyrion remove the Stark cloak and wrap her in the Lannister cloak. She leaves her father's protection and comes under her husband's protection. But minor quibbles aside, the wedding was excellent.

I disagree. Sansa kneeling was the result of three years of poor writing decisions dedicated to make Tyrion into this white and shiny character he simply isn't in the books. Had Tyrion retained his grey and ambivalent nature Sansa could have refused to kneel without running the risk of being labeled a bitch by most of the fandom and the scene would have been more epic because of that. If the audience is petty and judgemental to her position is because they have make Tyrion so perfect in detrimental to the character (Margaery talking about his good looks and sexual prowess was the worst example of this).

I think I likedthis episode the least so far, Compared to the other episodes, I'd give this a 7. Though it;s still better TV than most anything out there.

I just felt like nothing much happened. The whole Mellisandre/Gendry thing annoys the crap out of me.

I really liked the wedding scene though, and Daario seems to be decently cast.

If they didn't want Sansa to receive hate for it, why not just make Tyrion unsympathetic during the episode? It's a really simple solution. But the problem is that D&D want to continue whitewashing him.

At least we have a hero to cheer for though eh? Look, I know he's not like that in the books, and your personal opinion may be that you prefer the grey characters (which is absolutely fine), but a lot of people do like a proper 'hero', so to speak, that they can support. Also, I personally thought that Tyrion's threat to Joffrey showed that he is capable of being a real bastard at times. Even if it was to the villain of the show, I loved it for showing us another side to Tyrion, rather than the hilarious and jocular character that he is most of the time.

At least we have a hero to cheer for though eh? Look, I know he's not like that in the books, and your personal opinion may be that you prefer the grey characters (which is absolutely fine), but a lot of people do like a proper 'hero', so to speak, that they can support. Also, I personally thought that Tyrion's threat to Joffrey showed that he is capable of being a real bastard at times. Even if it was to the villain of the show, I loved it for showing us another side to Tyrion, rather than the hilarious and jocular character that he is most of the time.

There are heroes already in the show, though: Daenerys is freeing slaves, Davos refuses to bend to Melisandre's religious fanatacism, Jaime saves Brienne, Brienne refuses to give up her promise to Catelyn Stark, Robb wants to free the North, Jon Snow sacrifices love for honour, Sam rescues Gilly, etc.

So I think it's clear that whitewashing Tyrion was very unnecessary.

If they didn't want Sansa to receive hate for it, why not just make Tyrion unsympathetic during the episode? It's a really simple solution. But the problem is that D&D want to continue whitewashing him.

He is Ned Stark 2.0, someone in some authority to show the audience all that's rotten in KL and wishes they could change it. They have no other "star" to drive that particular thread. Nikolaj just began his character's transformation, so they can't put anything on him. I understand the purpose of the whitewashing, while I absolutely hate it because Tyrion's gray areas are what I find compelling. But how do you build up someone as the savior of KL only to say next season, "No, he's really just a fuckup, the pressure of being cast down as Hand has driven him to his drunken whoring self (little of which we saw in season 1 to begin with)." I don't know if the audience would have bought the reversal.

Edited by Sand11751

9/10. Really good episode after the last two week's disappointments.

Save for the first and last scenes, the who episode focused on just three storylines (Dragonstone, King's Landing and Dany's camp), which I thought was a brilliant move. It really gave the storylines time to breathe and develop. Everything about the wedding was perfect imo, such awesome drama. There were more interesting characters in that room than most shows have in their whole ensemble. The Dragonstone bits were good, but the Gendry/Mel sex scene went on for way too long and was ultimately pointless, and the leech scene didn't have the same dramatic impact as it has on me reading the books.

I don't buy it. If Joffrey knows he's a Lannister, he can't believe he's the rightfull king and thus he can't act like he was. And if he sais that because his mother is a Lannister, it still makes no sense, because the child Sansa would have after his rape would be a Baratheon, like he himself believes he is, not a Lannister.

It's still a horrible mistake.

It's not a horrible mistake - it is arrogance. Pure and simple. It has nothing to do with his real parentage - it has to do with how the Lannisters take 2nd place to no one, including in the Kings heraldry. His stating he is a Lannister makes complete and perfect sense since the main influence in his ear is all about how the Lannisters are better than everyone else.

If he were to get Sansa with child the kid would be Stark as well, but would never be referred to as such because of the Lannister blood - anything else is impure.