How would you rate episode 308?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

They've completely fucked up Robb and Cat's storyline. So I wasn't even disappointed when they got zero screen time this season, I wasn't surprised at all. They died a long time ago.

Ja, the scene of the RW is going to be a celebration in my house. I wish I could say I will care when it happens, because in the book I remember exclaiming my surprise out loud with a shout!

It won't be that great of a surprise, I don't think. In TV things have to be more obvious, as in everything happens for a reason (minus the sex scenes, in this case). So for example, when Bran/Rickon/Osha/Hodor came upon the miller's boys, my friend (non-book reader) said right away that the dead burned bodies were those two boys, not Bran and Rickon. In the book, I'd believed for many chapters that Bran was dead!

So now it's quite obvious, with the leeches, what will happen. Something. Though a friend did have to ask me: "Who the hell is Balon Greyjoy?" :) And then when I told him, he said: "Ah. So those three are all going to die then?"

I want to watch it again before I give it a final score, but it's high, very high. Maybe the highest of the season. Having less jumps between plots makes everything run smoother. I loved every single scene, which is not something I believe I have said about any episode so far in the entire saga.

I think that Dinklage and Sophie Turner were nothing short of spectacular in this episode.

About Daario...well, I'm a Ser Jorah fan (Show Jorah, book Jorah was kinda meh), so Daario would be an "enemy", but I think I already prefer him over book Daario.

I agree. With all the awesomeness of the King's Landing, Dragonstone, and Dany scenes, I didn't miss Bran, Jon Snow, or Robb at all.

I dont really get the whole "Northern plot is rubbish". Yes, it is not very close to the books, and could be seen as inferior, but it has still brought some brilliant emotional scenes, some pretty badass scenes, and on the whole has been, in my opinion, very enjoyable. Robb is still likable, despite a few minor blemishes, Cat is still tragic (and to everyone who says "shes now just a background character: 1. She is in many scenes in the book too, only we get the first person perspective 2: Just watch the character, and her emotions, especially in the Karstark scenes... you dont need words to portray feelings.), and the whole doomed "war in the north" atmosphere has been done very well indeed. The RW should still be superb, in a morbid sort of way.

Overall, I thought this was a marvelous episode. The pacing was good and many important scenes were handled appropriately. Obviously, there were some puzzling deviations (Gendry/Mel getting it on), but I can live with those.

Also, lovely acting all around. Not a bad apple in the bunch. Of note, Emilia continues to impress and I'm so glad she's settled into the character.

I disagree. Sansa kneeling was the result of three years of poor writing decisions dedicated to make Tyrion into this white and shiny character he simply isn't in the books. Had Tyrion retained his grey and ambivalent nature Sansa could have refused to kneel without running the risk of being labeled a bitch by most of the fandom and the scene would have been more epic because of that. If the audience is petty and judgemental to her position is because they have make Tyrion so perfect in detrimental to the character (Margaery talking about his good looks and sexual prowess was the worst example of this).

I completely agree. One aspect of why viewers would be so unsympathetic towards Sansa's refusal to kneel is because Tyrion has been made so blameless.

I think the episode was one of the best this season. 9/10

And the episode makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to focus on fewer story lines/characters per episode in general. Most of the time each plot line gets one (at the most two) scenes per week, which draws out everything maybe more than necessary, and which undoubtedly contributes to common criticisms of the show ("moving too slowly", "nothing happens", etc.).

Very strong- give it a 9.

I still don`t get why people react to the nudity scenes- do they forget that the books are filled with sexploitation?

I really hoped it was the Other and not coldhands, because I was afraid they would drop Sam the Slayer. Beauuuuuuutiful scene.

I agree with Rob and Cat - They have been toned down too much and viewers will not be able too care as much about them and their futures as in the book. Same as the indifferent,sloppy treatment of the Bran and Rickon alleged deaths in season 2. So what could be the most shocking scene in tv history next sunday sadly won`t be, I fear. (but I am stoked as hell nevertheless, of course ;P)

Books and TV/movie are very different mediums. Writers can can go a lot further because everything is left to the imagination of the reader. There's no "sexploitation" in the Game of Thrones books. Nobody is going to read them just to see the "naughty" bits. The TV show so far has gone out of its way to shoot scenes which aren't in the book for the sake of showing gratuitous nudity (Petyr and his whores, Joffrey and his whores, Podrick at the brothel, Melisandre + Stannis + Gendry). All of this while material is cut from the book because of "time constraints".

Drunk tuition was very awkward. I was hoping it was all an act and he was following Tywins lead in giving him a way out of a potential bad situation by hamming it up, but then he kept going with it into the room with Sansa, average scene at best...IMHO.

Uh huh. A little overacted in my opinion.

Sometimes I get the feeling when I'm watching Tyrion this season that Peter Dinklage knows how popular his character is, and the writers know it too (hence making him soo perfect), and so he takes some "comical" liberties with his scenes. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic actor, but this season I find him to be quite nauseating. Particularly so in the scene you mention, and taking it along into the bedroom.

Not a fan of book Daario; found TV Daario to be more believable, i.e. more believable that Dany would actually fall for this guy. Loved the scene with Sam and Gilly and the White Walker. Their dialogue is genuine and touching, and there was real suspense in the confrontation with the Other. Great way to close the episode. I predict that Shireen and Davos will free Gendry, much as Edric Storm is freed in the books. That will allow Gendry to return to the Riverlands and take up where he left off. Davos will save himself by arguing that the King must first protect the realm, just as he does in the books, thus setting up the whole Stannis-goes-to-the-Wall plotline for next season.

The point is he was so uncomfortable and out of his element that he got completely smashed as people tend to do to pass by times of unease and discomfort. It may not be how it goes down in the books, but it's perfectly reasonable given the circumstance and the way they've built up Tyrion.

Totally, but it was over acted and too bombastically, to the point where my 3 non book reading friends were like, awkward scene, not well shot or executed, regardless of what happens in the book.

A little understated behind the eyes work could have made a drastic difference to the quality of this scene.

But hey, whatever.

Edited by The Dragon has three heads

Totally, but it was over acted and too bombastically, to the point where my 3 non book reading friends were like, awkward scene, not well shot or executed, regardless of what happens in the book.

A little understated behind the eyes work could have made a drastic difference to the quality of this scene.

But hey, whatever.

Awkward is the right word for the whole situation for Tyron and Sansa, and for the viewers to feel awkward is the only way to feel about it. It was embarrassing to watch. If they made you feel that way than that was great acting.

I think this episode was awesome. Gave it 9/10. Deanerys is fantastic this season.

I love the Northern Story. To me, getting to see more of Robb Stark in the TV series has really helped me empathise with his plight. As for Cat, she's been a background figure and despite this Michelle Fairley manges to convey her emotions through some excellent non-verbal acting. Remember, she's a POV character in the books so a lot of what some people are basing their complaints on is the fact that we don't hear her internal thoughts.

Can't wait for the Red Wedding, in a macabre kind of way.

But hey, whatever.

It's supposed to be very awkward :P That scene was shot pretty well, besides perhaos the first second of the shot when you're behind Sansa and Joffrey as they walk the aisle. What didn't you like about the shooting?