How would you rate episode 308?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

this is one the few episodes that never had a scene where I went "why did they need this". Keep it up, GoT!

Second that - why I gave it an 8. Amazing how much better the pace is when they don't invent pointless cutesy scenes like Margaery's little "joke" with Sansa. I wasn't bored this episode, which I can't say about most of the others this season.

Gave it an 8. Who knows, maybe on the rewatch on DVD I'll jack it up to a 9. Depends on my mood.

I like everything with Daenerys -- although Daario's voice is a little high. I like the wway she keeps her cool when the guy suddenly turns up.

Wedding decent, though yes, drunk Tyrion did seem a bit overdone.

Good final scene. And I'm sure Coldhands will turn up in due course.

I also liked Cersei's not terribly veiled threat to Margaery and Davos psychoanalysing Stannis, not to mention that Stannis is a bit more like Stannis now.

Gave it a 9, and might have made it a 10 if the Sons had not behaved so ridiculously.

But hey, there are no tens, eh?

Much controversy on YouTube about Dani doing her first nude scene since Season one. I think its cool that she's not leaving that burden entirely to actresses that have not "made it" yet. It also made a contrast to earlier scenes where she was so much... less, than is the case now.

She's making the transition from child-bride to Joan of Arc both believable and fun to watch.

And damn, isn't it great that the Hound finally admitted that he tried to help Sansa? Funny how Arya thought he was taking her back to Kings Landing, she was the only one in the world who didn't know that was an impossibility from the word go.

Sam is stil wandering towards Castle Black, while John, who went the long way, is already past the wall.

Funny how that works out, ain't it?

Gave it a 9, and might have made it a 10 if the Sons had not behaved so ridiculously.

But hey, there are no tens, eh?

Much controversy on YouTube about Dani doing her first nude scene since Season one. I think its cool that she's not leaving that burden entirely to actresses that have not "made it" yet. It also made a contrast to earlier scenes where she was so much... less, than is the case now.

She's making the transition from child-bride to Joan of Arc both believable and fun to watch.

And damn, isn't it great that the Hound finally admitted that he tried to help Sansa? Funny how Arya thought he was taking her back to Kings Landing, she was the only one in the world who didn't know that was an impossibility from the word go.

Sam is stil wandering towards Castle Black, while John, who went the long way, is already past the wall.

Funny how that works out, ain't it?

Lol, well I imagine the Wildlings are on a forced march where as Gilly and Sam do not make very much progress each day.

I really cant rate this season with a good conscience. Its fallen very far below what my expectations were going into this season. I hope they can salvage the mess they made this year with the two episodes they have left.

What... hoping for another season based on book 3?

I really cant rate this season with a good conscience. Its fallen very far below what my expectations were going into this season. I hope they can salvage the mess they made this year with the two episodes they have left.

This season has been amazing. To each his own I guess.

I must also say that I'm slightly disappointed with this season so far. It's certainly not been a huge letdown or anything like that and is without a doubt still insanely good and better than 99% of what's on TV these days, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed now that its almost over and there's so little time to conclude some story archs. The story lines seem to be all over the place, some apparently going nowhere for ages (Theon, Bran...). I just feel like the show's pace has been way too slow this season - especially from episode 5 onwards. After all that's been said prior to its airing ("This is the season we have been hoping to make ever since the show started" etc.) the season failed to live up to the expectations, at least for me. But, as I said, it's still very very good and entertaining.

(this is all coming from a non-book reader btw)

After seeing it for a second time I thought an eight, Salvers Bay, Kings Landing and Dragon Stone are easily my favorite areas of this season can't get enough of them, couldn't care less about Jon and Sam their stories don't get good till the end of book three, looking forward to the Red Wedding just because I'm sick to death of Robb Talisa scenes. Did miss Theon and the Bastard this episode but I suppose there's only so much torturing they can show before it loses it's shock value.

Gave this episode a 3. Sorry to come on here and rock party. Honestly I thought I would try to get to the source. having my concerns answered. Hoping that maybe the big man can lay down the law. This from when this current episode comes accross this terribly. Forgive me but what a dreadful episode. George RR Martin is probably my favourite fantasy author showing his wonderful world to be beautiful, brutal and without remorse. The hero's are often just ordinary people who are caught within the greater mecahanisms and schemes of design. Who are often faced with the inevitabilities of fight, live, or die being true to nature in it's themes. Not by walking off into the sunset while living happily ever after. I love this both from in the book much more so, and also through this TV adaptation. Which until this current episode has been quite good by comparisons.

My complaints with this episode are:

Davos Seaworth being thrown into Dragonstone Keep dungeon. This was quite pointless, an excerise in wr'eading he can now do his A,B,C's, a result. Why was he put in there showing Stannis Baratheon as nothing more then a whimsy?

Daenery's bless her, will slay evil slavers, but not very vulgar men because she is seeking allegiances?

Daario is a super ninja. Evading Unsullied, Bloodriders and Knights so viewers can sneak a peak. Giving head or getting a'head dunno can't quite work that one out? How was she so easily approached?

Unforgiveably the show is now a song of Fire. Desciption. We know how scary the dragons are, we have seen R'hllor make baby shadows, and also resurrect the mortally wounded. Where is the Ice? Whitewalkers are nothing more then craven slayed zombies. These Whitewalkers have no skill or any intelligence. The zombie didn't pursue the threat the sword wielder, the only interest it had was in the baby. One can assume if Gilly gave her baby to the evil zombie, it would simply walk away. Comes from Castor forgetting to pay his due's, but being as brainless as shown. How would it have know? The Whitewalker had no weapon to speak of, was alone, and was about as frightening as your average cartoon. The CGI shown was entirely masked in FX, look at all the snowflalkes magically disappear. Although importantly missing the very aspects of that horror.This from being a walking nightmare. Why are the words? Winter is coming, The Night Is Dark and Full Of Terrors. Tales passed down for generations as warning. With 600ft high icewalls made to keep those monster out, or was that wall built for the grumpkins and snarks? Now lads, a craven can easily stab one in the back and watch it explode? Your average brainless zombie, requiring possibly that fabled dragonglass or silver bullets whatever load ballista they are quite harmless. Excuse my skepticism, but I am dumbfounded at this episodes conclusion

The episode had moments of great TV. I really enjoy when the history and lore of Game of Thrones is brought into the TV. The dialogue of the song of rains castamere was absolutely great. Overall sadly as an episode was seen as terrible despite it's few moments

Edited by Boi

Davos was imprisoned by Stannis in the books. He is also freed later for no other reason than being loyal and giving honest advice.

Dany doesn't kill Mero and the other two because their allegiance will mean taking Yunkai much easier. This is exactly how it works in the books except the Stormcrows don't exist.

Daario does basically the same thing in the books except he doesn't sneak into her tent so easily. The end result is just the same. I like how Daario can't be a ninja but we can live within a world where faceless men exist.

We've seen the white walkers be more strategic and intelligent than ever in the books. Always the artists. Don't know wtf you're talking about here. We don't know anything about the white walkers from the books really. It's all a mystery. We know way more about R'hllor.

So in the same post you praise GRRM for being excellent (which he is) you also argue that everything he's done is bad on the show.

I love show criticism as long as it actually makes sense and doesn't show an unreasonably illogical adaptation bias.

Davos was imprisoned by Stannis in the books. He is also freed later for no other reason than being loyal and giving honest advice.

Dany doesn't kill Mero and the other two because their allegiance will mean taking Yunkai much easier. This is exactly how it works in the books except the Stormcrows don't exist.

Daario does basically the same thing in the books except he doesn't sneak into her tent so easily. The end result is just the same. I like how Daario can't be a ninja but we can live within a world where faceless men exist.

We've seen the white walkers be more strategic and intelligent than ever in the books. Always the artists. Don't know wtf you're talking about here. We don't know anything about the white walkers from the books really. It's all a mystery. We know way more about R'hllor.

So in the same post you praise GRRM for being excellent (which he is) you also argue that everything he's done is bad on the show.

I love show criticism as long as it actually makes sense and doesn't show an unreasonably illogical adaptation bias.

I understand why you are goading me into spoilers from somebody who took all of two seconds to make some jerk off response.

My reply to you sir, have you read the books?

Davos has to watch a ritual and has to kneel and say the words when somebody is burned alive. His time in prison wasn't particularly pleasent and the Red Priestess would goad him throughout. Stannis is a whimsy, lets have a group hug and a slap on the wrist. He will now sit on the iron throne I'm so sure

Dany doesn't kill them because they weren't so vulgar.

Daario which we aren't discussing as a character. Is as bad a casting as Jojen and Myra almost the opposite of descriptions. No in the books he doesn't evade Dany's entire army using super ninja skills. He kills his capitans with his dual wielded swords beheading them, yes. If he can sneek through her camp, why has nobody else? This content a 12 year old won't question being roused from the peek. Full awards for that logic

No we haven't seen enough of the WhiteWalkers. Though admittedly if a 600 ft high icewall is made with plenty of warning and words passed down for generations.You would expect that creature to be more scary then some feebled pedo hermit. Having no intellegence while showing its ass so it gets ripped a new one, shattering. Craven Sam knows the backstab. Hey lads, Westeros is now trembling at the Horror of CGI. We know enough of WhiteWalkers from the tales of Gran to Bran. Since when is a Facelessman = Ice, now your giving me demons.

I critise what doesn't make sense, those sceens didn't make any sense

I praise GRRM for making every single detail, thread together like a tapestry when read, making clear and perfect sense. While formulating a wonderful and epic read. Not some butchered smut tv show, which some sceens like the above barely play out to any coherence

Edited by Boi

With votes tapering off, this episode ends up at a 8.35 with 714 votes in.

Season average to date is 8.06 after 8 eight episodes. At the same point, season 1 rated an average of 8.37 while season 2 rated 7.8. So it's almost exactly in between those two seasons.

I am actually considering a Season 1 Rewatch thread and related polls for the summer, to get people to go back and watch the first season in light of the following seasons, and re-evaluate their scoring. I'd be interested to see whether opinions during the first season were less critical due to the novelty and excitement, or more so.

It was Melisandre that imprisoned Davos after she saw him coming to kill her in the flames. Stannis doesn't see Davos until about half way through the book.

Edited by Wintermute1010

9/10

One of the best episodes so far together with episode 4 and 5, though I hope the next one will be better than any before it. I don't really have anything big to complain about, the only thing I felt a bit bugged about was the scene where Melisandre seduced Gendry. It wasn't necessary for any other reason than to have another nude scene with Carice. I thought she was going to drug him, which would have worked, considering she didn't die of the poison in the first episode of season 2 (correct me if there's something I've forgotten about Melisandre's poison resistance).

Everything else was really great. I have no complaints about the opening scene with Arya and the Hound, and they included a lot of small things from the books (Arya trying to kill the Hound with a rock, the Mountain being way worse than the Hound, and the Red Fork part).

I liked all Daenerys scenes (especially the bathtub one, heh), and Daario seemed well cast. I didn't mind the changes from the books, since it's understandable that the series has to simplify some minor plots due to time and money. And is it just me, or are they spending more time on details this season, because they actually remembered to include Daario's naked-woman sword and arakh.

The conversation between Stannis and Davos was great, and as some interviewer on the internet said: the way the scene is filmed makes it look like Stannis is trapped, a prisoner of his duty. Also a good scene to make the unsullied understand that Stannis is not a manic zealot who is willing to do anything to get the throne, at least not without speaking with good ol' Davos first. I also like swapping Edric Storm with Gendry, makes the viewers more invested than if it was someone we didn't care about.

My favorite part had to be the wedding scenes in King's Landing, which surprised me, considering I didn't care that much for Tyrion and Sansa's wedding in the books. I guess it is more interesting to watch awkward weddings than to read about them (don't kill me). Every scene was great. We didn't get the entire "well, this is awkward" scene in episode 6, but we did get a whole bunch of awkward, uncomfortable and comical scenes in this one. "I am the god of tits and wine" and "now my watch begins" made me laugh, hard. Sansa kneeling, I can understand the change, after all we don't get to peer into Sansa's mind in the show, and Tyrion is pretty whitewashed (which should make his change in character in the next seasons have a bigger impact), so many TV-viewers would get mad at her. Joffrey is back again, creepier than ever. Olenna trying to figure who's what was priceless, and Loras trying to break the ice with Cersei made me feel a bit sorry for him.

And finally, Sam the Slayer. No Coldhands bugged me at first, but I guess we'll see him next episode (just to have another big moment to trick the unsullied into believing nothing more will happen). I didn't think the White Walkers at the end of season 2 looked close to as creepy and menacing as they could have, but in this scene the TV-adaptation Walker looked perfect! The entire scene had a chilling atmosphere, first with the ravens quorking, then suddenly becoming silent, only to hear the ghastly crackling noise from a White Walker. And Samwell confronting the Walker reminded a lot about Samwise facing Shelob in LotR, which is awesome!

All in all, great episode, and my expectations for the next one may be too high ...

I am actually considering a Season 1 Rewatch thread and related polls for the summer, to get people to go back and watch the first season in light of the following seasons, and re-evaluate their scoring. I'd be interested to see whether opinions during the first season were less critical due to the novelty and excitement, or more so.

I also considered Rewatching Sansa thread with book spoilers, but I renounced that idea, when I was realized it wouldn`t serve the purpose of re-evaluating the character and seeing it where did it all go wrong. But, if you open rewatch thread, I think it`ll be interesting...

That's a great idea, Ran. For what it's worth, I always believed the first several S1 episodes were overrated around here. Episode 2 especially has unreasonably high marks, while in my opinion it's one of the worst episodes of the entire TV show. Not from the tired purist/non-purist perspective, but simply as an hour of TV.

Edited by Mr Fixit

With votes tapering off, this episode ends up at a 8.35 with 714 votes in.

Season average to date is 8.06 after 8 eight episodes. At the same point, season 1 rated an average of 8.37 while season 2 rated 7.8. So it's almost exactly in between those two seasons.

What do you make of the ratings over at IMDB?

230312 67.6% 10( 10 is the rating), the front page rating is a 10, is that for all seasons?

That 230312 is number of viewers who voted.

That's a big sample.

Could even push tolls and grumps out of the distribution.

How about when all three seasons are finished of having a comprehensive all seasons thread?

Edited by boojam