How would you rate episode 308?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Any episode that starts off with Sandor or Arya is already an A+ for me. I looked forward to their scenes this year almost as much as Sandor's with Sansa. They've toned him down more, made him even palatable; I've gotten used to it and won't beat that dead horse here. But I love the little hints of some sort of honor just below the surface in TV Sandor, which you really have to scratch hard for to find with book Sandor. I'm constantly amazed at how the child actors and newbies hold their own with veterans. Cersei is still one of my favorite characters, even if she's being humanized. But she was on fire last night with, "If you ever call me sister again, I'll have you strangled in your sleep." Boom! Now that's the Cersei I know and love. I've honestly had it up to here with Margaery's two-faced bullshit - I had sympathy for the book version, none for the snake in the grass on TV. She and Cersei are cut from the same cloth. Daario still isn't interesting to me, but I could get used to looking at this one, almost as much as I enjoyed Jaqen - thanks for the eye candy, D&D. I still miss Moon Boy and Butterbumps. Has anyone seen Ser Dontos lately?

Totally agree! I loved the Arya/Hound interaction and am looking forward to more scenes with them. I know a lot of posters felt Cersei's direct threat was too much, but personally I loved seeing the lioness show us her claws. Suck it, Margaery!

4/10

What I liked:

• Cersei
  • Sam's scene
  • The music when Daario swore fealty to Daenerys

The rest was awful. The writing was cringeworthy, they cut out some of the best lines, Tyrion is just embarassing to watch (not in the way the writers intended), and once again the female nudity felt forced and sexist.

Also Daario is absolutely hideous.

I gave it 8. A small one. Much better than the two previous episodes. It was nice with fewer characters and it has a good and natural flow.

I don't like the new Gendry stuff and a horny Melisandre didn't change that. Again, the nudity is just unnecessary.

And with all the ravens at the end I expected to see Coldhands...

I gave this episode a 9/10.

I loved the whole sequence on Dragonstone, barring that scene in Episode 3, the Dragonstone storyline has been consistently good for the entire season. I particularly loved the scene between Stannis and Davos in the dungeon, everything about that scene was masterfully done. I really like how they are playing Davos as the Jiminy Cricket to Stannis' Pinnochio.

Once again, another fantastic set of scenes featuring Daenerys. Emilia Clarke is evolving in the role, there is certainly something reptilian about her performance this season that I am really enjoying. I also liked the toned down version of Daario - though I do wonder whether simplifying this aspect of the story could cause headaches down the line. I enjoyed the additional scene with Daario and the second sons, but I think the theories here are built around some lazy dialogue (every D+D episode has one particular phrase that gets repeated in different places - or so it seems).

KL was fantastic as usual. It was nice to see almost all of our regular players down there being featured. Though this season is seriously lacking Varys. I really like where they are taking Cersei this season, but I think that due to her reduced screentime, that the casual viewer will not have been paying attention to Cersei's increasing paranoia.

My big problem with this episode is really the choice of scenes to include. Why not have Sam the Slayer and Osha's monologue in the same episode? It seems quite tacked on to have included this scene at the end of this episode.

Also where on earth is Catelyn Stark, I really thought that S3 would be 'her' season but so far she has appeared for what... 20 minutes?

Finally, a good episode! I gave it a 9. My only compliant is that they didn't spend enough time on the Hound and Arya. But I continue to be impressed with Dany, whom I didn't apreciate as much in the books. Her bathtub scene, along with Brienne's a few episodes ago, are the only scenes where the nudity doesn't seem gratuitous. Both ladies are portrayed as empowered subjects rather than objects.

4/10

What I liked:

• Cersei
  • Sam's scene

The rest was awful. The writing was cringeworthy, they cut out some of the best lines, Tyrion is just embarassing to watch (not in the way the writers intended), and once again the female nudity felt forced and sexist.

The writing was cringeworthy? Are people expecting Shakespeare or something?

Such a nice and clean Hound, with Arya in his lap like he was Old Nan. We need a lot of anger, and better make-up. Just dirty finger nails doesn't do it. ---

Jorah. +

Dany. Every scene. And her speaking Dothraki. +++

The Titan's Bastard. Genius. Pity that actor wasn't cast as Daario, or could at least live to die another day by Selmy's hand. Anyway, wonderful portrayal. +++

Daario - Not sure. Feels more of a bard than a leader of warriors. I seem to not like him, which may be a good sign given that I never liked him in the books. The way he popped up in Dany's tent just like that felt cheaply executed though. -

Davos reading. +

Gendry. Relax man, it's just leeches! His whole scene with Melisandre was boring and overdramatized. ---

Liked Margaery smiling left and right during Cersei's little chat on the Reynes of Castamere. Those two would be such a nice sister pair, would love to see them mud-wrestling. +

Awkward wedding feeling wasn't bad, even with Joff taking that footstool and Sansa kneeling. +

Drunken Tyrion! Awesome! +++

Shae taking his pillow = Sansa's dress out under his head. Wonderful. +

Portrayal of Sansa and Tyrion's behavior. Tyrion is such a nice guy. One could think Sansa is to fall in love with him right away. Don't. Like. It. ---

Drunken Tyrion again just to add more plusses. +++

Joffrey Cocksure. Wonderful acting. I want him to stay king forever. +++

Gilly and Sam's chemistry, their talk, the raven setup. +++

The White Walker - always thought they look really cheap. The "fight scene" was lame, no sense of fear at all, and when the episode finished without the threat of more Walkers and Coldhands to the rescue, that was a major letdown (even if we should get him next episode). ---

Overall I did like that many scenes weren't so rushed this episode. On the other hand, I didn't like to not see character's I wanted to see. So this seems to be neither plus nor minus. Ultimately though, no Theon was one of the best things this episode. +

Bottom line: Last week's episode was weak, this week's was so even more. While watching I actually thought that I shouldn't waste my time with the series any more and just read the books again. I know the former will never happen though because I'm too curious, and because I like many of the TV characters.

I can't believe all the up-tight nitpickin!

to y'all that voted a 6 or lower

I love you guys and I'm going to sound like a bit of a dick here, my apologies in advance:

WHAT ON EARTH do you want? a whole other show? LOL

If this doesn't do it for you then might as well give up on it now

YES - tyrion and stannis and sansa are different than in the books, Lots of things are; because it's not a book

nevertheless, they do 90% of the SAME critical junctures as in the books, ultimately. the plot has to hook up

bottom line:

GRRM isn't Mr Perfect. Some depictions in the show really are improvements. Some are not, absolutely...and guess what? that's OK!

It's OK because the only freaking way this series gets made at all is by HBO - who else can do it better...AT ALL??? YOU???!!! ME??!! LOLOLOL

Loved the episode. 9.5

I thought this TV dario was vastly superior. I actually could beleive why Dany was intrigued by his base cunning and swagger. In the books I always had a hard time understand what Dany was doing with this clown.

Sam the slayer scene was awesome. I was a little bummed they cut the bit about Wildlings not naming children until a year in. Although they did make good use of comparing Randell to Craster.

As for the wedding cloak....i don't think there was a way around it for times sake. The only idea I had was they could have had tyrion fumbling at it...tugging...then cut scene and come back to it to show a period of time took place and she did her small subtile protest left to her. All and all I was fine with the change.

4/10

What I liked:

• Cersei
  • Sam's scene

Really? You hated the Hound and Arya scene? That was incredible?

I had forgotten to mention Cersi too. I thought that scene was well played even with the slight changes to the story of the Reigns of castemere to make it fit

It was ok i guess. I gave it an 8.

Finally get to see Sam the Slayer, but nobody there to see it happen!!!!!!! So i dont think he will get given the name in tv.

Too distracted by Danny and Mel and that random whore.

Daario is a clown. So wrong. All i can see is 'teeth'.

Gilly saw it, she can tell people. They completely toned Daario down from the books, if you think his show counterpart was a clown, what is book Daario, with blue hair, forked beard, and gold teeth?

Good episode. I found Tyrion to be funny for the first time in far too long. Sad what they did to the Titan's Bastard :frown5: And SO GLAD that someone FINALLY acknowledged that poor forgotten Balon is actually one of the damn kings!!!!

I know, right. Maybe they should have cut one of Theon's 15 torture scenes and gave it to Balon, at this point some show watchers probably forgot all about him.

Absolute crap.

Unnecessary gratuitous sex scenes from Melisandre given with the most flimsy justification(I need to trick him into having sex with me, to tie him up for sum reesin hur dur).

Tyrion has become vanilla ice cream, whitewashed into oblivion.

Sam vs The Other scene was a total disappointment.

Eliminating Coldhands from the show, another tick in the slow and steadily gaining list of reasons why this show is becoming increasingly less complicated and easy to digest.

Terrible. 4/10

This episode was so bad, it's almost put me off wanting to watch the show altogether.

Why do you assume they have eliminated Coldhands? In the books Coldhands doesn't show up until later and then it happens only after Sam and Gilly encounter the wights (who don't die from obsidian) and Coldhands comes in and saves them. Still plenty of time for that and this scene ultimately allowed Sam to kill an Other, which they skipped earlier in the series. IN fact, they ended the show with Sam and Gilly running away out of fear, who is to say Coldhands isn't following them and will show up next time we see Sam. Just a bit premature to say that Coldhands has been eliminated.

Why do you assume they have eliminated Coldhands? In the books Coldhands doesn't show up until later and then it happens only after Sam and Gilly encounter the wights (who don't die from obsidian) and Coldhands comes in and saves them. Still plenty of time for that and this scene ultimately allowed Sam to kill an Other, which they skipped earlier in the series. IN fact, they ended the show with Sam and Gilly running away out of fear, who is to say Coldhands isn't following them and will show up next time we see Sam. Just a bit premature to say that Coldhands has been eliminated.

B...bbbutttt we need to jump to premature conclusions so we can bitch about something!

9 for me. Thought it was great. Didn't think the nudity was out of place at all. Went with the plot fine and thought the acting and writing was amazing this episode. Some people should probably just stop watching the show. If they did, then I guess they wouldn't have anything to bitch about and be miserable. So I guess they will continue watching what they don't like.

Wow. It was more than obvious Coldhands is coming. He will be the season ender. Do not expect to see Sam and Gilly next episode. They'll be back for episode 10.

My only complaint this season has been the same for every season. They are having a terrible time with Bran's story, which I found fascinating in the books but simply nonexistent on the show.

This season though is easily the best.

Ah, the leeches scene:

In the book, Melisandre is possibly hundreds of years old, does not need sustenance, is immune to poisons and extreme temperatures.

In the show she is now forced to trickery/sexual baiting to get royal blood... that´s not worthy of her.

The Burning of the Leeches: Not that impressive either. I would have wished a something like the scene where she showed Stannis the vision in the flames; that one was a lot more powerful, erotic even. Honestly, I wish they would have used Gendry in the original Edric Storm role and kept the leeches between Stannis and Melisandre.

Besides, how much blood did they suck, exactly, in those 30 seconds between being applied and removed again?

The Marriage:

The actual ceremony was way too short, Sansa entering the Sept and getting her coat and that´s it? Granted, there is no need for the full thing, but at least a short speech of the Septon would have fleshed this out a lot.

And Sansa kneeling actually gave the whole wedding a lot of dignity, probably more than if Tyrion had used the ladder which Joffrey took.

Daario:

I must admit I actually hate him in the book. Every time he opens his mouth it is extremly annoying. I also think he will betray Daenerys. The one in the show is too nice for my taste.

That´s only the negative points, of course, there was a lot awesome things as well.