How would you rate episode 308?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

748 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a 9. Loved it except for Sansa's kneeling.

The last scene was rather weird. I almost expected Coldhands to show up, but I still liked it. Daario is awesome. Loved Joffers and Cersei at the wedding. And Davos learning to read was adorable.

Much better episode than the previous two. Really, really enjoyed this one. I gave it 9/10 as I thought the plots meshed well and didn't feel overcrowded (each scene was given time to breathe), the scenes were generally straight from the books and the Marg/Cersei scene was a welcome addition and clever way to explain the Rains of Castamere.

Nitpicks of the week: Sansa bowing to have the cloak put on her shoulders (presumably so the show doesn't make her look like a bitch since they've white-washed Tyrion) and discussing names for Gilly's child when I thought they normally wait a year because of chance of baby dying and Cersei outright threatening Marg (too overt, where is the subtelty!)

I still think I would have preferred the Sansa wedding to have been sprung on her, and her to be more hard to the whole ceremony. She just seemed to willing to go along with it, because she has been given time to think it through and been encouraged by Margarey. I am not sure where they are going with the Cersei/Loras plot, other than dragging it out.

The last scene was rather weird. I almost expected Coldhands to show up, but I still liked it. Daario is awesome. Loved Joffers and Cersei at the wedding. And Davos learning to read was adorable.

:agree:

Couldn't have said it better.

Was about to rage about how HBO were portraying Stannis the Mannis as a dick all over again, but that Davos line and the viewer realisation that Stannis is going along with it because he's a man of duty and WON'T sacrifice Gendry renewed my hope for his story. Also the 'battle in the snow' line..

I gave it 10. Loved the wedding, love the treatment for Daario Nahaaris. Only slight nit is the lack of hesititaion before Stannis throws the leech on the fire to seal the fate of Robb Stark. Brilliant white walker ending. Pitch perfect pace and acting, though I'd rather Sansa wasn't quite so blandly presented. But that's more to do with the fact that series watchers aren't privy to her point of view. And Tyrion and Joffrey are back in fine form. All in all, a few fractions of a millimetre from being absolutely flawless. How disappointing it would be if they bungled the real peak moments around the corner after this.

[*]Sansa -They should have upped the age or changed the reasoning. She looks way too old for 14, but I could be wrong.

So far D&D have just left the ages out. It's going to get even more obvious if this show does go for four more years.

Lord! Even Maisie Williams is starting to look like a teenager, and if they get to Ep. 7 she will be 19!

In the book Tyrion had made the decision not to consummate regardless of her age, so just leave that part out.

9/10. I would give it a ten, but I want to save that for the final two episodes.

This was personally my favorite episode since the season 1 finale. Despite a few small nitpicks, I loved everything about this episode. The wedding, the leeches, the Seconds Sons, and Sam the Slayer. All perfect. Plus Dany and Mel showing nearly all definitely didn't hurt.

Narrowing down the amount of storylines this episode definitely made it superior to every other episode this season, in my opinion, and 3x9 looks like to continue this trend, which is good.

In the show, he actually got her to smile before the wedding. It went much further the night of the wedding before he told her he couldn't do it. He actually told her he wanted her. He told her to get into bed. He told her not to cover herself with the blanket. Only then when she was laying there with her eyes closed did he say "Stop, open your eyes, I can't do this."

That's a distinction without a difference.

If I have said once I think I have said it a dozen times.

The actors playing the book roles are going to bring a different dimension and demeanor to their characters, nothing to be done about it.

So far , for me, Charles Dance has brought a just flat dull Tywin (in the book) to life on the show, I think that true of other characters from the books. The actors are better characters than GRRM wrote, in my opinion.

It's just not half as interesting as the way the book did it.

That is your take, not mine I disagree.

How is it that nobody mentioned the atrocious dub job they did with Daario's voice? I hope they clear that up in the future.

Hmm,did not notice that.

Does that actor have a strong accent? , I have never seen him before.

In the novel I don't remember Coldhands showing up till later.

In the novel I don't remember Coldhands showing up till later.

Sure, but I assumed so because of the many ravens in the tree. It would've been cool if the Bran / Sam encounter would've happened in the finale, so it would've made sense to introduce Coldhands for that.

I'm surprised how positive this episode was received. They kept close to the books- fine, but considering the quality of the material, it was the least entertaining hour of TV I have watched yet. I gave it a 6.5, rounded up to 7. Never has an hour of GOT passed by so slowly.

Reasons? Something as basic as louder music can really enhance the feel of a scene. There was so little of it. There were far too many long pauses, dead air, followed by flat lines. The quality of the source material guaranteed the wedding would be entertaining, but it fell a little flat emotionally. Where was the sharp contrast between the energy of the music, and the misery of the people? The music was barely audible and nothing like how I imagined it.

I was expecting us to hear "rains of castamere" as well but no. A missed opportunity which could have major consequences for unsullied next episode. Without Cat spelling it out- "oh no, not the Rains of Castamere- that's the Lannister song!" the relevance will be totally missed until crossbow quarrels start to fly.

I understand the value of longer scenes, but why does so much time need to be devoted to discussing the quality of Dany's Dothraki, unnecessary reminders about Davos' inability to read, or Sam explaining to Gilly what surnames are? Who cares?! It served no purpose in enhancing the overall scene. Why does a Yunkai sellsword company of two thousand men get more time and attention in one episode than Roose Bolton had received in 2 series? They aren't important. Dany would have won the fight without them anyway, and Daario's whole purpose is an irrelevant love distraction- no more. It just doesn't interest me.

If episode 9 is to be a proper climax, why are we not getting any build up? Time spent fleshing out the second sons could have been spent reminding us that in westeros there is a war happening, which after 8 episodes this season, look totally forgotten. Why couldn't we see Robb and Roose' reunion prior to entering the twins, discussing the events of the ruby ford- an almighty significant forerunner- his lack of men, Robb could consult with some more northern bannermen about the events in order to flesh out a "Smalljon" or "Manderly" character who demonstrates goodwill towards Robb, or why not spend more time developing Arya and the Hound's relationship? With such a large cast of underserviced characters, I was annoyed that the Titan's Bastard got so much attention and I hope we don't get a squashed and rushed RW as a result. There is a lot of material to get through here.

One thing I was delighted about- the final scene. I was relieved not to see Coldhands- yet. There is plenty of time for him to arrive. what is far more important to "The Song of Ice and Fire" is ensuring the inclusion of the Sam the Slayer scene which I was getting pretty anxious about- I was scared they would miss it out all together. The relevance of Dragonglass very important, as is Sam's journey from coward to someone with a degree of bravery and use. After 2.7 seasons playing the fool, it was high time people started caring about him and stopped seeing him as a boring, irritating idiot. It was high time the north received some tension, and we got it. hats off.

Edited by The Fourth Head

10 for naked emilia. Would have been an 8.5, my highest grade for the season. No robb, jon and cat scenes does wonders for their ratings.

The only thing left I hate is the stannis arc/story and Tyrion. But I hate book Tyrion anyway so I dont count that against the show.