Continued Stannis Character Assasination [Book and TV Spoilers]

It's been made clear that his desire is not power, it's to do his duty. His duty happens to be serving in a position of power, since he was supposed to be second in line.

I don't have anything to say as far as Stannis being good or bad, but it kind of irks me when people project greed and ambition onto him. Think what you want about the things he does, but he very clearly is doing them because he thinks it's his responsibility to and he's stubborn, not because he has some huge overwhelming thirst for power >.>. If he wasn't rightfully second in line and he didn't have Melisandre telling him he is some foretold hero, I highly doubt he would be doing any of this.

Once again, no comment on if his actions are right or wrong. Just that I wish people would get his intentions straight.

Yes Stannis thinks it's his duty to gain all the power

Not for power's sake though, which is what people who hate him seem to think.

He's not like "I MUST RULE EVERYONE, I want ALL the power and control!" like certain queen regents we know of. Like I said, it happens that doing what he's expected to do falls in line with a position of power. That is not the same thing as wanting power itself. This is a pointless debate that I will have no more part of.

"I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done after the Trident."

Pretty much sums up Stannis.

The "Inside the Episode" for Ep. 8 has some exposition about Stannis.. It shows that D&D seem to understand Stannis, although they haven't done that good a job demonstrating it through the episodes. No Florent's means he is much more fanatical than he was in the books.

This scene, however, shows that he might begin to turn away from Mel and towards Davos.

I'm ok with Stannis being the real underdog, for now. It's all Daenerys and her pretty dragons until the Targaryen girl goes mad -I mean really mad, Aerys, Viserys-mad. Once Dany starts making poor decisions and basically messing it all up, the TV audiences

already having lost Robb

should look up this supposed religious freak, Stannis.

But he will do anything to gain power so he can do his duty.

That's the real internal conflict within Stannis, and it's really the same conflict when he joined Robert's Rebellion. He really tries to do the right thing, and sometimes, it is not easy to know what that is. Davos nailed him in the books with the zinger about him joining Robert's Rebellion and betraying his King, and Stannis was an honest enough man to credit the point. That's really Stannis at his best to me -- he's basically accused of treason by Davos, and all he ends up saying, essentially, is "you're right, and thanks for pointing that out." It's quite remarkable in its own way.

And Mel has put Stannis in a tough position, because she's told him that horrible things will happen to everyone if he doesn't become King. And that creates another dilemna for him, because I don't think he'd consider offing Gendry/Edric or sacrificing a child at the Wall simply to become King. Whenever those choices present themselves, he's always asking Mel "Is this really necessary", and she responds by saying how the world will fall into darkness if he doesn't, or some such shit. And he struggles with that.

I think the Stannis-Davos scene actually showed something the books did not yet show as well as the show. The reason why Stannis turns to Davos when he does. In the books, the impression is created that Stannis is actually somewhere in the middle between Davos and Melisandre, and needs to be swayed in this or that direction. It's also indicated that he may not be aware what kind of people are surrounding him (i.e. Axell Florent or Clayton Suggs). But that's not the case. Stannis is a good judge of character and he pretty much knows what Davos, Selyse, Melisandre, Axell, Justin Massey, or Clayton Suggs are going to tell him before they do.

The fact that Stannis goes to Davos shows that he himself has doubts about Melisandre's plans, he does not really need Davos to tell him what to do he knows that well enough.

Make it up as goes is alongs. Stannis was supposedly the cold brittle hard justice or ironwill. Which the drunken fierce warrior Robert wasn't, or that of the people pleasing partying Renly. Comparing himself to his brothers of why he is stronger and how his claim is justified.

His character has been butchered into nothing more then a sheep, a total whimsy of follow the pretty sorceress, behaving quite out of nature of what we would expect from a king or even a man. She says, he does. As a potential king believing himself to be better and his cause just. She should have been a prop to increase his confidence. Never to make him into just another dumb follower. Possibly why he didn't take her on the Black Water, but blame Davos though. Now he is a little dismayed and rethinking his actions so he has given pause, but never enough to believe he is lost or was ever wrong.

He seeks Davos for advice never to interfere with his justice or that cold ironwill. This stated as him cutting off Davos fingers. Both have respected each other a lot more from that experience and trust each other in their friendship. Davos has always believed in his king, but questions the witch, bromance as means of protecting him. Stannis gaining a loyal subject one he trusts if he doesn't trust anyone else fully.

A hug and a kiss with some naughty corner time so Davos can learn A,B,C. Without him having to say a R'hllor prayer or even kneel before their new god is without questionably stupid. Desipite wether Gendry life is at stake. Gendry would have been seen as nothing more then another pretender in any logical circumstance. Royal blood without sacrifice, would sew seeds of distent and jealously. Stannis wants the power for his claim, and is also wanting that fire. Because his wife a cold fish turned devote, and their greyscaled abomination.

As king he wouldn't thave thought twice about justifing his means if he believes in that cause while thinking he is right. This is what cold ironwill is. Not the sheep which we now see who b'ah'ows before his she witch. She may have spells but this is far stretching our imaginations.

I accept she is a manipulative seducteress, this should be fuel or fire for his will regardless of sacrifices that loss of army. Not Stannis the sheep who follows turning to be a wihm of flaw and questioning his belief. I know you had sex with the bastard look at my face and tell me you didn't. King Stannis doesn't kill out of lust, rage, or will, being man and king? Davos mate is it okay? I have given you free wr'eading tution in the corner and meals, let me ask you if it is okay to scarifice, please bro for the sake of our friendship let me hear your words? This doesn't make any sense apart from pity on that pretender. He will sit so well in future. Winter is coming but lets all laugh at those false prophets. I honestly would rather be second guessing.

Who would have thought 1000k post each and as dumb as diddly squat, wat. that post. An obvious attempt to post for the sake of contributing nothing.

Have either of you reads the book or watched the show, I don't mind character assassinations when they serve a purpose replacing POV characters which aren't of necessity in the setting at the time..

There is no second guessing here at the weakness of Stannis.

It really should have been a hug and kiss between Stannis and Davos. Slap your wrist sir you have been a naughty boy. Placed those hands irons without the chains, that stool you have been sittng was in the corner for those A,B,C's.. Please darling, can I have your advice though. You see I want to burn stuffs because my gods a pyro-maniac. I just don't know if I should. You see the priestess is upstairs right now fucking the bastard boy because my seed is been used. Have you seen my greyscaled daughter, and my wife is a dead fish in that department she moans R'hllor given half the chance. I need fire in my belly but Davos I just don't know mate really I am durp durped.

I don't know about you, but it is to damn funny seeing a bleating pretender

Nice job calling people dumb for having difficulty getting through your amazingly weird post.

Obviously we've both read the books and watched the show. I think your way of speaking (typing) is extremely awkward, and that you've certainly ignored enough of Stannis' characterization to white knight him beyond reason, to a degree where trying to argue rationally about the show's portrayal of Stannis would be an exercise in futility.

I understand that turnips give gass.

My arguement is from both humour and in retrospect of what a king in his position would be doing or done. He is not a family man for part of the reasons I have stated. Maybe though I am trying to fill the gap of the missing jester. Or maybe I am just dumbfounded at the humour this bleating sheep pretender has brought me. With no real reason left to second guess his claim to the iron throne, as he was shown to be a whimp.

On serious advice if you were having trouble reading Italic print might I suggest some corner time for those A,B,C's. You sir have been derogatory to me from my first post, showing the wrong knowledge of the book. Not that here there is an altogether comparison, however you had brought it up previously. I look for a joke, I know that might be awkward or confusing. In defense there are plenty to make from sceens which don't make much sense.

I understand that turnips give gass.

My arguement is from both humour and in retrospect of what a king in his position would be doing or done. He is not a family man for part of the reasons I have stated. Maybe though I am trying to fill the gap of the missing jester. Or maybe I am just dumbfounded at the humour this bleating sheep pretender has brought me. With no real reason left to second guess his claim to the iron throne, as he was shown to be a whimp.

On serious advice if you were having trouble reading Italic print might I suggest some corner time for those A,B,C's. You sir have been derogatory to me from my first post, showing the wrong knowledge of the book. Not that here there is an altogether comparison, however you had brought it up previously. I look for a joke, I know that might be awkward or confusing. In defense there are plenty to make from sceens which don't make much sense.

I guess I didn't get the joke. I must be dumb as diddly squat after all.

Possibly if you had read the books maybe you will have gained a joke. In belief the Nights Watch comments on gassy turnips. You see, the jester uses in poem.

Awe struck a pretender won't get far from being just a sheep. I would have liked to have second guessed this. Not watch him bleat over Melisandre who is shown with having the Balls.

I expected a King and Man from Stannis. Who claims that his brother were weak. Renly the young people pleasing party go'er, Robert the strong fierce drunken warrior who never wanted the throne. Stannis is always comparing and in contempt. He believes his claim to be lawful, that he is just in his belief of himself, from being the one true king of Westeros. Seeing everybody else as pretenders to be sacrificed to his new found faith in R'hllor, because maybe he likes to burn stuff. Fire to fuel that Ironwill.

I guess most here struggle with, wat that post.

No flames intended, but to further break the joke down for you in case you missed the punchline? A night full of dark turnips is going to be one giant sh.tstorm, although hazarding a guess that when asleep it will be some killer gas..Only joking. Some dump though, diddly squat. Maybe I'm taking this ass'ass'ination thread to far, my bad.............D'oh

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it seems like, some Stannis-Fans have not read the books properly.

Literally in the first Chapter he appears he behaves causeless cruelly and completely unjust. (Treatment of the old maester)

The just behaviour he sometimes shows is the result of his limetless pride.

We don't hate Stannis in the books because we only see how he presents himself to others.

Archived