Continued Stannis Character Assasination [Book and TV Spoilers]

I didn't know where to put this post, but figured it didn't warrant a new topic...

Stannis: "You've slaughtered many lambs?"

Mel: "And none have seen the blade.

Clear foreshadowing that I either have forgotten from the books, didn't catch or it simply wasn't there. Is Mel going to kill Stannis in WoW?

But they were criminals or traitors. Stannis is a leader, and in his own context, he is meant to show others that he's serious about punishing criminals. Gendry is not, nor was Edric, bastards or not, those were innocent children.

So that makes them not human beings? I'd be more sympathetic if had them garroted against the stake and was effectively burning a corpse, it gets the point across while causing an agonizing death that only takes a few minutes rather than hours. I can accept that executions are part of the setting, but most of the people that use torturous methods of execution are sadists or madmen.

So that makes them not human beings? I'd be more sympathetic if had them garroted against the stake and was effectively burning a corpse, it gets the point across while causing an agonizing death that only takes a few minutes rather than hours. I can accept that executions are part of the setting, but most of the people that use torturous methods of execution are sadists or madmen.

It doesn't take hours to die burned at the stake, but your point is well stated. It's one of the aspects of Stannis' character I've had the most trouble with. That being said, it isn't an unusual method of execution for the period, and Stannis never has an innocent burned or executed. His sense of justice is so cold and absolute that he'll do horrible things to you if he feels you deserve it. Insinuating that he's a sadist is a little much though, as I think its clear he derives no pleasure from the executions.

The entire point of the scene is that he goes to see Davos because he thinks it's wrong. It's laid out for the viewers, verbatim. he plays devil's advocate, Davos calls him out on it, sacrifice gets called off. How could anyone possibly understand he took the decision without conflict?

The events play out differently, but this is not character assassination in any way, shape or form. I swear this expression has lost most of its impact since people have been using it willy-nilly.

It doesn't take hours to die burned at the stake, but your point is well stated. It's one of the aspects of Stannis' character I've had the most trouble with. That being said, it isn't an unusual method of execution for the period, and Stannis never has an innocent burned or executed. His sense of justice is so cold and absolute that he'll do horrible things to you if he feels you deserve it. Insinuating that he's a sadist is a little much though, as I think its clear he derives no pleasure from the executions.

There's someone else who burns people alive. Her name starts with a D.

Book Stannis would never be so quick to burn an innocent, regardless of if he knew them. He had no hesitation in the show, and only seemingly reconsidered much later after talking with Davos.

He wanted Davos to convince him otherwise.

Book Stannis would never be so quick to burn an innocent, regardless of if he knew them. He had no hesitation in the show, and only seemingly reconsidered much later after talking with Davos.

Lord you are dense.

Please just quit watching the show.

Apparently you missed the entire point of him visiting Davos and freeing him. It was exactly because he was conflicted about it.

For the medieval period burning death is a very unusual method of execution that was reserved more or less only for heretics and even then they were usually dead before they even felt the flames. The usual methods of execution for the period were either beheading or short-drop hanging. To me the burnings indicate how wrapped around Mel's finger he is at that point (not in the sense that he believes in her religion or that he is truly the chosen, but that he has become reliant on her power) because ultimately burning deaths don't speak to a cold unyielding sense of justice to me, they are too wasteful for that.

There's someone else who burns people alive. Her name starts with a D.

She's not a coin flipped in the air, she's a coin spun on edge. Even before it has settled you can tell which way it's going land and it seems to be madness.

Lord you are dense.

Please just quit watching the show.

Lord you are rude. Instead of me quitting the show, how about you leave this message board.

Stannis shouldn't need to run to the dungeons to get someone to convince him of something. Show Stannis is far too indecisive. It's been a frequent complaint.

Lord you are rude. Instead of me quitting the show, how about you leave this message board.

Stannis shouldn't need to run to the dungeons to get someone to convince him of something. Show Stannis is far too indecisive. It's been a frequent complaint.

Who convinces Stannis to go to the Wall? Who convinces Stannis to leave Mel behind at Blackwater? Who convinces Stannis to go the Hill Clansemen and not the Dreadfort? Etc... Book Stannis is always listening to good council from honest men. Mostly Davos and later Jon Snow.

He's always been someone who needs a push in the right direction.

The fact that he needs Davos's advice proves that he always had some doubts about it.

And yes, prisoners and criminals are people too, but in Stannis's case, to be honest, I don't remember why they were burnt at all. Let's remember that Melisandre is a big influence and burning people might have something to do with the Red God.

I will NEVER in a million years understand the fandom that surrounds Stannis Baratheon. It really does boggle my mind.

:agree: I am still waiting for the Stannis is the man moment. For me, it hasn't happened yet. Davos is the only redeeming part of his story.

The scene with Davos was POINTLESS.

Immediately after that he went ahead and still let Melisandre eff with Gendry.

I swear some of you are so delusional its scary. You'll defend this show to death and beyond despite the utter sh*t that is being shown on the television screen. That scene with Davos would have actually meant something if I dunno Stannis had LET GENDRY GO?

What is so hard to contemplate about what the opening poster said? That whole convo in the dungeons was absolutely stupid

Archived